PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Electrical Problem

2003buellxb9s
01-30-2009, 01:54 PM
My headlight just decided to stop working two mornings ago. I pounded on the windscreen while driving at about 70 and got it back on, had to do that twice then it stayed on the rest of my trip.

Then yesterday evening I went to ride it home and it wouldn't come on even with that very technical hit the jukebox manuever. So I removed the windscreen and by playing around with the headlight wires got it to stay on for a bit. I noticed that when i pinched or moved the lower part of the wire assembly, the part between the actual headlights and the connector, it seemed to control whether it would come on or not. After playing with it for a while, jerking and yanking all around, it went out for good.

I guess I'll remove the headlight assembly cut open the black rubber wire cover thing and see if some of the wires are touching or something?

Anyone else had this happen?

Stevenc150
01-30-2009, 02:15 PM
"Simplest" problem may be wires starting to pull out of the back of your connectors. Seperate your connectors and inspect. Push each wire in from the back side to make sure their not trying to work their way out. Hopefully that's all it is.

LeFox
01-30-2009, 08:26 PM
bad connection near contact, but most likely, according to your explanation a broken wire.

i would check the wire completely and look where it is possible broken. this is most likely where it will make a hard bend, or where it is near part of the harnasswhere it moves alot.

open up, get the connection back up...
noce search job but no cost, except for some tin for the connection.

2003buellxb9s
02-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Yeah, I took it all apart and there were no broken wires. I think the problem was in the "female" half of the connector. I was able to tighten them down a little by inserting and then angling a small nail. they are fitting snug and it seems to have solved it.

NOW, I can't screw my flyscreen back into the headlight mount. I guess when I removed it I bent it some and for the life of me I couldn't get it back. I have it on there with wire now but obviously that's not a good solution.. Guess I have to order a new headlight mount?

LeFox
02-02-2009, 03:26 PM
that proves that pounding something is not a good solution to your problem [smirk]

2003buellxb9s
02-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Learning on the road to hard knocks I guess...