PDA

View Full Version : Fuel injection to carbeuration

Band4aid
06-19-2013, 07:33 PM
Going from stock fuel injection on my xb9 lightning to a s&s shorty carb...any advice on using stock ignition and coil? But eliminating all other wiring

Theycallmecrash
06-19-2013, 08:20 PM
Why? Someone had to ask.

I understand some people know more about carbs than fuel injection. What do you hope to gain? Fuell IN-efficiency? Difficultly accessing for tuning? Can you even mount that carb above the cylinders? What carb exactly? Just install a points ignition while youre at bad ideas. Obviously i object to the idea. Its your ride do as you pleaze

thrstrmech
06-19-2013, 09:06 PM
Why? Someone had to ask.

this...dude, sell your xb9...go buy a harley, then you'll have your carb:p

Band4aid
06-19-2013, 10:41 PM
Its a mutant...bareknuckle frame. I realize now that i didnt specify the why. The clearance isnt there for fuel injection, no choice but to run a carb...thats why i bought a brand new s&s, hopefully to minimalize some issues. I should be able to run my stock ignition or will i need an hi-4? And is it possible to use parts off the old harness to use my stock coil, ignition and voltage regulater?

Theycallmecrash
06-20-2013, 12:05 AM
I dont understand. Pics? Is it an xb engine in something or is this still a XB9 frame and all?

Internet Annoyance
06-20-2013, 01:04 AM
I understand, :D I have the same issues as i have several XB model buells and a Tuber S1 lightning, Im also building a custom with a Buell motor in a Norton Frame, plus,, i have several sportsters, and one of them im building as a cafe racer and using XB top end, cams, pushrods etc,,
So, on one of them (the Norton-Buell hybrid, im hoping to use a late model Sportster intake and adapt the Buell FI parts to it, Ive gotten some help from a 2 guys who know a thing or 2 about this and have been helpful. Im cautiously optimistic it will work but more work remains to be done and its NOT on the front burner right now.

So,,, as to going carby,, If it were ME... i would have gone with the Mikuni HSR myself, a much better carb, I have an S&S on my ratbike sportster and its a good basic carb, but more primitive. Suitable for a chop i guess, but you are not getting the best results for a hi-po XB engine thats built to breath and perform.

you are going to NEED a adapter manifold, NRHS sells them I think Hammer performance sells them too. The head spacing on the XB heads are different and more recessed, you cant run a stock S&S manifold, S&S MIGHT have an adapter manifold as well, but the point is,. a regular carby manifold will NOT work.

As to ignition,,,,,,,, um, in not really sure on that. You WONT be able to run the Buell ECM thats for sure. You MIGHT be able to open up the timing cases and adapt on a conventional early pre efi sporty ignition. But you MIGHT have to adapt on a early timing cover too. Im not sure at this point until i play around later this summer with some of my engines for these projects. I have been in parts acquisition mode and havent done any assy yet.

You can do an internet search with your question and its actually addressed on several forums. the XL and Sportster forums and Jockey journal have more of the DIY custom guys on there and have done these. theres discussions on this. Guys on there talk about cam swaps, big bore kits, best ported heads, share dyno tune printouts, that sort of thing. Guys here dont seem to be doing much motor wrenching, more of the tuner and bolt on crowd. Not that its bad, just a different scene. I used to do a lot of choppers, still have some basket case choppers in storage, But i dont like many of the choppers of late,, i build 50-60 and early 70s style stuff. plus cafe racers.
Despite most of my old shop work was restorations and stock bikes of vintage and classic bikes, I was known as
"That F##K'in Chopper guy" so, as the saying goes,,,, "You date a sheep just once, and forever you are known as a Sheep F******** "

user_deleted
06-20-2013, 07:32 AM
You date a sheep just once, and forever you are known as a Sheep F******** "

yes sir, that's how life works. :D

cole b
09-09-2013, 04:14 AM
I'm running a stock 883 carb and one of these.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1017244_10152951448985504_1075531621_n.jpg

jetlee
09-09-2013, 04:21 AM
An 883 ignition would work fine, as shown above.

Fuel injection could be made to work. You'd have to go with a custom carb manifold anyway, why not go with a custom EFI manifold and leave the entire EFI wiring and ECU intact?

Cooter
09-09-2013, 02:45 PM
This^^^^^

Ghosted
09-09-2013, 03:06 PM
Here is my RNE Mutant Drop tunnel,
Building them are a lot of fun, looking forward to some pics, I have a build on here with mine

http://www.clubchopper.com/photopost/data/500/medium/276.jpg

Internet Annoyance
09-11-2013, 08:44 AM
nullhttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/16071_20130911023602_L.jpg

Heres something to ponder, I am by no means an expert at EFI on these bikes but i have a custom im building, and have a need to TRY and adapt the EFI and ECU on a Buell engine into a frame NOT designed for the vertical EFI inlet a XB has, so here is a Stock XB inlet, next to a stock Sportster 2004 and up EFI inlet manifold. I am TOLD this will work, but havent tried it yet. You CAN buy from both S&S and NRHS custom carb inlets for the XB type top ends. Eventually i have ANOTHER project, a cafe racer 1992 Sportster 883 im putting a XB top end and cams on, and will run one of those custom carb manifolds to mate to the XB top end. NOTE: the XB top ends differ in spacing as the distance between in the inlet ports differs from a Carb type head so you HAVE to run a special manifold for carbs on a XB type top end.
To run a EFI set up,, i *THINK* its possible to run this type of late model Sportster manifold,, at least i will try,
so my advice is what you paid for it.
BTW,,, heres a pix of the custom im building with a Buell powerplant. Norton + Buell=????
[confused]
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/16071_20130803024205_L.jpg

WIGGLE2
09-17-2013, 02:29 AM
Nice way to save thread and actually try to help a guy out!! Choppers/mutants and cruisers aren't my thing...but that doesn't mean YOU'RE right or wrong! I have seen some Buell engines in custom bikes, and that IS cool! I hope it all works out for you in the end! :D

Internet Annoyance
09-17-2013, 05:18 AM
Im really into Nortons, and British bikes in general, Im also a member of the Oregon Norton Enthusiasts (ONE) and we are hosting the international Norton Rally next year here in Oregon, gonna be working on bridging the gap with Nortons and Buells anyway.

I have Norton Buell combo projects... One with a featherbed frame and one with the new-ish Norton America Prototype frame. I know the founder of Norton America and he lives a few miles away from me.

Im not the first guy to blend sportster or Buell with Nortons though,,, ill post some pics http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/16071_20130916230844_L.jpg

Sweet eh?

Internet Annoyance
09-17-2013, 05:23 AM
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/16071_20130916231115_L.jpg

thats a Norton Featherbed frame modified to accept the Sportster or Buell Motors

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/16071_20130916231454_L.jpg

Based on this,,,,,,, a 65 Norton featherbed. My Norton Buell hybrid will be similar to this, I have the same fairing, mines the authentic UK made "Avon Aire" fairing. I have Cerrani double knocker forks, and Sportster Alloy akront style rims with double disc brakes and a single disc in the rear (both 18") and Super trapp XR style stainless race pipes and some other cool bits for it

Internet Annoyance
09-17-2013, 05:28 AM
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/16071_20130916231411_L.jpg

Of course,,, when you own a Norton, people cant help but gather around, I have to fight them off with a stick,

a funny story,, Kenny, the founder of Norton America had made up some merchandise to advertise his little venture, So , he made up the typical posters (i posted one earlier) and T shirts, etc, the Merch company producing it had a line of possible apparel, and just for sh*ts and Grins, Kenny made up a line of Norton branded lady's thongs. Fun idea to think your branded product is right next to the hoochie coochie.

So this photo was taken at the US debut of the Norton America brand at Laguna Seca down in California, And the first item to sell out of the merchandise???? Ladys Norton thongs,,

time to re-order.