PDA

View Full Version : Lost a cylinder this morning!

Mantoe
06-21-2013, 05:14 AM
Lost a cylinder on the way to work this morning. It was running fine till I stopped by a convenient store. Turned the bike off, went in, came out, turned the bike and bam! One cylinder. I limped it to work. Will it hurt it to limp it home? I live 15 miles or so from work and I can take back roads 30-40 mph max. Do you think I lost a coil? Loose wire? I'm at a loss really. 2500 miles in and she already let me down.lol

user_deleted
06-21-2013, 05:33 AM
most likely fouled plug. i would not ride it 15 miles on 1 cylinder....others might chime in that they've done it with no ill-effects...i just wouldn't. which cylinder is dead? front? if so easy to replace plug. if rear cylinder a bit more involved but not difficult. it is not the coil and highly unlikely the affected cylinder plug wire went terminal at mini-mart stop. NGK DCPR9EIX is plug of choice IMO

Mantoe
06-21-2013, 05:59 AM
Whew! I hope that's all it is. I haven't had time to figure out which cylinder it is yet.

clarson_75
06-21-2013, 11:15 AM
I also wouldn't ride the bike 15 miles on a broken motor either. How mad would you be if it was a fouled plug and ended up doing real damage to it? trailer it home, or i'm a fan of the parking lot mechanic.

Mantoe
06-21-2013, 03:05 PM
I'm going to trailer home for sure. Thanks for the responses. I really home its something simple.

When it was idling I could smell raw fuel coming from the exhaust so I know I'm getting fuel. Ill keep you guys posted when I get it torn down in the next couple days.

chief_of_smoke
06-21-2013, 04:42 PM
Had the same issue. Rear cylinder wasn't firing. Changed both plugs. As they were both fouled. NGK is the way to go. Also check your plug wires for nicks and cuts as well as the ends. Had rust in the end that plugs into the coil. New set of plugs and wires did the trick. Definitely don't ride until fixed.

Mantoe
06-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Found the problem!!

Front plug wire had rubbed through and was grounding out on the head..

Called all the local dealers and no one has any new plug wires. Anyone know where I can find some?

Any help will be appreciated.

chief_of_smoke
06-22-2013, 05:07 PM
ASB has them and your bell dealer should be able to order them. I went though Harley. Took a week to get. ASB would be a week as well. ASB was $10 higher due to shipping. If your dealer can't get them, tell him go **** himself because they can. There is a new part number. ASB has the number listed. And I just did this about 3- 4 weeks ago. Same issue. Good luck.

Mantoe
06-22-2013, 05:41 PM
I called every Buell dealer in Texas and literally, the last dealer I called (Round rock tx) had one left. I asked them to order me another one and they said Harley has them listed as back ordered with no date on when they would be back in stock.

I called a few more dealers around here and they said the same thing. Its getting harder and harder to get any parts for these bikes. What a shame.

d_adams
06-22-2013, 06:27 PM
I have a spare used set if you really need them.

Mantoe
06-22-2013, 06:46 PM
Thanks D_adams but I don't want to take you spare set. I think i'll be ok replacing the one till harley gets around to sending out more.

GregoXB
06-22-2013, 06:56 PM
http://www.americansportbike.com/shoponline/ccp0-prodshow/17146.html