PDA

View Full Version : Tires for Buell

Skidley
05-15-2007, 04:39 PM
Anyone running tires other than the recommended Pirelli Scorpion? My dealer inadvertently put a set of Pirelli Diablo Strada's on my Ulysses last night. Mostly street/twisty riding so I might give them a chance.

Joe Pineapples
05-18-2007, 12:23 PM
I've got an '05 Uly with the original Dunlop 616's. I've seen a lot of chat about the Pirelli tyres. Are they better than the Dunlops? I need the order a new rear, so if the Pirellis are that much better, I may just order a pair of those instead.

Skidley
05-18-2007, 05:16 PM
I'm going to give the Pirelli Diablo Strada's a chance.
They are not for off road but heat up quick , stick well and might have better wear than the Dunlop's. I only got 9000 km (5000 mi) off the first set of Dunlops. Good tires though. I have a buddie who runs the Pirelli Scorpion Syncs on his BMW and says they are good.

Joe Pineapples
05-21-2007, 01:04 PM
I reckon I'll stick with the Dunlop this time, then when I need to change the front, I'll look at the Pirelli then. I sopke to my local dealler, but they weren't too clued up. Seems like the Uly is a bit of a mystery at the moment.

Skidley
06-20-2007, 05:18 AM
Pirelli Diablo Strada's are good so far, 7500 km trip in July will tell the tale[up]

2Evil4U
06-22-2007, 12:04 PM
No Z-rated tire is going to be very good off road, although the dealer replaced my original 616 with a Sportmax at 1100 miles when I picked up two nails at once. I got just under 5k miles out of the Sportmax and it was showing cords last night when I changed it to a Bridgestone BT021 Battlax. After the first 40 miles on the 'Stone, I like the feel of this tire a LOT more than either of the Dunlops and it has a little more tread pattern for the dirt roads I usually ride.

Thumper
07-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Hi, I'm new here, I own a 2006 Uly. I blew the rear tire and rim, on god knows what, last night and am unsure if I should replace the D616 or buy better tires. The Dunlop's tread pattern looks better for dirt than the Sync, but the Pirelli is steel belted, so?
I want a good street tire that will work well on dirt roads. I am unfamilar with tire ratings (like a Z rating), and such. So any help will be appreciated.

Also, does anyone know a good source for a new rear rim?

Thanks.

Joe
08-01-2007, 03:53 AM
I don't know if teh rims were changed in 07. Maybe try e-bay?

Skidley
09-12-2007, 05:23 AM
Ran the Pirelli Diablo Stradas on my 06 Ulysses from Calgary to Colorado 7900 km (4900 miles) in July. They are definetly street tires with great grip on the pavement but slip a bit on gravel and in wet conditions. Changed out a rear flat in New Mexico back to a Dunlop 616 (picked up a drill bit). The Dunlops and Pirelli Scorpion Syncs area better all round tire for dry/wet pavement and espesially non-pavement. Stick with the recommended tires. Average GPS riding speed was about 100 km/hr (60 m/hr)on a combination of twisties and the regular highways so it was a true test.
Closed out.
[smirk]

THE FLYING DUCHMAN
10-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Hi.
Dont know if I can help any. My Uly has Syncs on it and grips well in all road conditions. I am in London so dont off road much, lol. I run them with 38 front and 40 PSI rear (ambiant air temp and im heavy) as the pressures changes little even after a real hard thrash? I find this makes it steer as it should do. The Buell range, even the Uly, have sports handling and people should watch tyre pressure as well as suspension set-up.
All the best.

JSW07
10-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Skidley, are you from Calgary?