PDA

View Full Version : Damn that's hot

WileyXB12X
06-28-2013, 07:14 AM
After many idling woes addressed in another thread, I cried uncle and took it in to the dealership. After replacing manifold seals, ECM and TPS, the bike runs now, though it's slow to warm up and idle still jumps around (sometimes I come to a stop and it putters at 1000 and sometimes I stop and it sits at a steady 2000 RPM, regardless of how warm it is or how long it's been running) - but the bike is running considerably hotter than normal.

I thought all the heat blowing on my leg, and heating up the frame to the point that I couldn't touch it with my knee, was just in my head and due to the summer months - I know the Buells run hot anyway, but I got off the bike the other day and saw smoke. The source was a melting mess of wires that are wrapped in tape coming down the front of the motor to the right side, above the oil filter. There's a sensor of some sort with a single wire coming out of it - the whole thing was covered in melted plastic.

So the heat blowing on my leg is normal, but the frame isn't normally hot to the touch nor do I usually encounter melting bits at the end of a 20 min ride. The fan runs, everything looks fine other than the melted bit.

Thoughts?

iman501
06-28-2013, 07:35 AM
Replace your oil with radiator coolant!

wolfo68
06-28-2013, 08:02 AM
possibly a cracked header

Ghosted
06-28-2013, 08:07 AM
Replace your oil with radiator coolant!

http://thumbs.newschoolers.com/index.php?src=http://mobilegeeks.de/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/citizen-kane-clapping-gif.gif&size=400x1000

WileyXB12X
09-23-2013, 10:27 PM
Yeah, nothing. I'm guessing that, for whatever reason, it was running considerably cooler than most bikes and perhaps now it's running as it should, including the temp. Case in point, I never really felt the rider comfort kit was a necessity but now I'm saving up for it.

snrusnak
09-23-2013, 11:40 PM
Mine will get too hot too touch with my right knee(through jeans) if sitting in traffic for like 15+ minutes. Other than that it's fairly cool. I am using spark plugs one heat range cooler than stock, and the race maps. Before these things(mainly the race maps) it would get that hot and hotter even sitting for maybe just a minute or two.

I recommend at least trying the race maps as it's free and will add fuel and keep the temps down a little. Worst case is it doesn't help you and you didn't spend any money.

WileyXB12X
09-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Thanks, I may try the race map. What I've really noticed is the increase in heat on the left side, oddly enough.

epion420
09-29-2013, 01:54 PM
have you checked your timing my 12 was idling funny like that too after my rebuild and it was just the timing... having the timing off can cause all sorts of heat issues let alone detonation and pinging just a thought