PDA

View Full Version : Anyone every gotten away from the Police?

buellxb
10-10-2006, 03:35 PM
I love the power and speed of my Buell, but to use it puts anyone in a risky situation of getting a ticket. Has anyone ever dusted a cop?

paperclip
10-26-2006, 10:25 PM
I have:p But you are totally right, it is very risky and honestly, dumb. After that I took my issues to the track, where it's safe.

Take your buell to the track, where EVERYONE is on a bike, and they all go in the same direction.[smirk]

matchbox20fan3
10-30-2006, 02:27 AM
Yeah I agree, I may have tried that when I was younger, but now I play it safe, except when I take my Buell to track of course.

paperclip
10-31-2006, 12:42 PM
Well, that's the whole point of the track. But if you go to the track it makes you more aware of what's going on on the street, and I believe it makes you a better rider.

BuellPartsGuy
11-02-2006, 03:06 AM
Yeah, I have been to a few track days and it definately helps with day to day riding. Teaches you better throttle and brake control, and how to avoid those sticky situations...

paperclip
11-02-2006, 01:40 PM
That's exactly right. It shows you "your" limits, as well as your buell's limits in a safer environment, and that can be translated to the street. Makes you a smarter, better, more cautious rider. Plus you can impress your squiddly friends!

matchbox20fan3
11-07-2006, 01:54 PM
If you know the road pretty good on a Buell motorcycle you'll have no problem out running the police.

paperclip
11-11-2006, 01:30 PM
The only thing is that, one, they have your plate number! They'll get you, eventually. Another thing is that you might be able to autrun them on your buell, but you are risking life and limb, over a ticket. I say pay the ticket, and live to ride another day.[smirk]

Hawaiian XB9S
12-04-2006, 09:41 PM
I know how everyone here feels about the power and the cops but Paperclip is right. I am a Navy Police Officer (Master at Arms Third Class (MA3) to those of you familiar with Navy lingo). Out here our only track has been shut down and we are fighting to get it re-opened. I am the proud caretaker of a beautiful 2003 XB9S and a 1991 Suzuki GSF400 Bandit (Rare here apparently). But anyways back to my point, If you cant get to a track try to find a good riding group that is reputable. That is another good way to improve your skill sets. One of my buddies (James) just got the front of his bike (XB9R) clipped by a highway cop that wasn't paying attention. James put all of his skills to the test and passed with just a little road rash and only one night in the hospital and not an extended stay in a really small box.

Swordsman
01-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Ha! Yeah, you may outrun the Police car, but you can't outrun the radio! Sooner or later, they'll box you in, or get close enough that you spaz out and lose it running 110 mph. Better to just eat the ticket up front than to get thrown in jail, or worse! Just my opinion, of course. ;)

~SM

mezap
01-28-2007, 08:42 PM
Not sure where you are, but here in Georgia 26mph over the posted speed is considered a felony. If your gonna whack that throttle open, you have to be as smart about it as you can. If you have a favorite area where you go to play, cruise it a time or two and look for cops. Straights are where everybody opens it up, so forget that. They sit at the bottom of hills, so hit it going up, and chop it before you get to the top. If you run, and get caught, or crash, your riding days are pretty much over, Even if you live. Plus you add to the statistics that cause the insurance nazis to freak out and lobby against bikes, especially sportbikes. Don't know if your a member of the AMA, but if not you should be. ALL of you who read this should be. You have NO IDEA the things insurance companies try to pull. And once rights disappear good luck getting them back. Remember last time? Took a migration, a tea party, and a war.
SUPPORT THE AMA

Swordsman
02-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Hmm, might have to look into that AMA stuff...
~SM

anrkizm95
06-16-2010, 07:30 PM
its better to sit in jail and and pay a big fine than to take someones life.i use to run 20 years ago until a friend ran from the cops and rear ended a honda at high speed and killed a 9 year old girl.

fishgutz
06-16-2010, 07:54 PM
In NC, the troopers will take you out if you try running on a bike. If you are really lucky, there will be a few organ left that can live on in others.

onelogue
06-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Yup I lost a cop in Malibu, CA in the canyons. It was a BMW too... but it cant keep up with the Buell in the twisties :D But tough guy aside, i was paranoid the rest of the day.

dave_xb12r
06-16-2010, 08:19 PM
Kajer and I have ducked into a neighborhood before when we saw a ticket coming.

MuSh
06-16-2010, 09:28 PM
I've been told by a group of troopers that a good majority of the police here wont even try to go after a speeding sport bike. They are too fast, and it is simply too dangerous to create a pursuit.

Even if I knew I had a 99% chance to get away, there is still that 1%...so I would never run. The risks aren't worth the reward.

xtremelow
06-16-2010, 10:40 PM
I might have turned really quick in some heavy traffic or dashed into the garage a couple times shutting the door a split second after breaking the safety beam.

But never actually ran from the cops, also love how old this post is :p

TooFst
06-16-2010, 10:47 PM
So.... More to come

Livers
06-17-2010, 04:10 AM
Don't know if your a member of the AMA, but if not you should be. ALL of you who read this should be.

Yeah, it's an old post but this can stand repeating.

IYAOYAS
06-17-2010, 04:28 AM
would run when I was 17, but now if he flicks his lights on I pull over and have my coming to Jesus moment. They seem to much more kind to you if you do not make them chase after you. Saved me a ticket for 20 over last time.

chevnut55
06-17-2010, 06:59 AM
i did before because the police suck around ma. the give tickets to prople fo no reson ,make you go to court and pay a fee if you win or loose,the cut you a deal pay 1/2 and go or pay a $50 court fee and go to court again and problely loose because you were on a bike. i got a ticket i had to go to cort 2 times for that was sent to me in the mail while i was in the hospital..i won but still lost cort fees and time and stress of going to fight it. 2 other tickets i was pulled over taking a break after a long ride in a safe place and accused of stunting and treated like i just robed a bank and screamed at and read my rights and told id never see my bike again then was just let go? and the last time i was turing around on a side street on my on /off road bike because it started to rain hard 1 mile from my house,i saw a cop car heading the other way from a intersection,i was in traffic going around a sharp corner with nobby tires,he tried to hit me while i was pulling over correctly ,kept me there for a hour yelling at me and threating me,said i was trying to out run him and i was doing 90..my data recorder on my bike said 30 since i left my house.i sat there and looked at the trail in the woods the went to my block and asked myself why..doing the wright thing is now very wrong.at cort i showed them the picts recorder and everything else i would need and still lost,i told them what the police were doing and got thrown out.they know whats going on..its all fixed,i guess all the ma. taxes crazy reg. fees and sticker charges arent enough $$$ to pay for are 3rd world county roads. so i went home put a switch to cut out the rear lights on my bikes and mixed up some tinted clear and sprayed my plates,i now wear black and know where all the trails back to my house are. did it a few times,its scary,i may get killed but either way its the police thats doing it...they use to have my complete respect...

ronmetzler
06-17-2010, 07:03 AM
I have ran before, but it was when I was 18 on my Suzuki SV650. I just hit the freeway, did 130+ for a couple mins, didn't see the red and blues anymore, got off the freeway and turned around and road home like nothing happened. If you're going to run, just remember: don't stop. If ya don't stop, ya don't get caught. No cop car can keep up with any sportbike over 600CC if you know how to ride and aren't afraid to push the speedometer.

Nuage420b
06-17-2010, 08:50 AM
three days ago on the bike i was in the 130's heading o friends house and passed cop other direction. was only a few hundred meters from buddies neighborhood so i just skidaddled to his place and closed his garage door with the quickness. i have out ran cops on 95 ad various places in and around md va and dc using a 99 cougar, a pt cruiser, a 240sx, or my f150. got lucky a few times. the pt chase was hilarious. the cop came up from behind on semi back roads when i noticed a car gaining on me ( i was rolling 80 in a 40) so i cut off into some twisted backroads and just gave her all she had. cop never got close enough to id y car or get tags i kept some distance for about 10 mins i'd see his headlights coming into a corner as i was exiting (he never hit the red and blues). eventually got a gap and pulled off hit the lights killed motor and about 30 seconds later he flew by still chasing. i just made haste back home and called it a night lol. you can out run the radio. helicopters are a while nother issue.

firebolt020283
06-17-2010, 08:59 AM
The good thing about here in the killeen area is they usually will not chase you if you are on a bike.

also nuage I think I seen you on your bike a few days ago on post. As I saw a CF and red lightning around lunchtime on tank destroyer by the s curves

GatorBuell
06-17-2010, 09:02 AM
One time with a big group. We were doing around 90mph on a long 2 lane rode and a FHP passed us. I looked in my rear view and saw break lights and nailed it. I was on my R6 at the time. Everyone took off, I remember a Busa come past me like I was standing still, haha.

GSXdoubleR88ciNINJA
06-17-2010, 09:13 AM
I wouldn't. (1,2,3,fo,fif!)

They will kill you with their car & lie about it in court.

Nuage420b
06-17-2010, 09:23 AM
there has been alot of buells popping up. there is a blue 9r that runs up ad down hood street civilian owned. and a valencia orange lightning i've passed by around rancier a few timesnow. a yellow lightning spotted in te bed of a truck near the 3ACR AO. this guy mark i rode with once o a red 04 12r. talked to another guyw ho gave me a jump from his CR, he said e has a name on this site but hasn't used it much. one thing I haven't seen on post though is a 1125R. tere is also a badass polished 9R in the lemon lot with a acu paint job and everything polished. and what are you riding? I've been making runs down 2484 around 3pm when i have the chance after my classes. lemme know if you wanna join. it's decently twistie but te only local road worth hitting up. it's a know bike road to every time i've used it the cars see me coming and they just nonchalant pull to the right and slow down to let me pass. a couple miles are adopted roads by some bike clubs too.

firebolt020283
06-17-2010, 09:28 AM
I hit 2484 every now and then.

I have a red and black xb9r. Though yesterday and today are the first two days I have been on post with it.

onelogue
06-17-2010, 10:31 AM
also love how old this post is :p

hahaha I know lately people have been resurrecting a bunch of old threads.

bunkstar
06-17-2010, 12:51 PM
In 2003 when I got back from the box I bought a 97 CBR F3. I was leaving FT Benning, GA going north on I-185 and I was hauling a** cause I wanted to get home. I was doing like 85-90, something like that when I look right and see a Georgia State Trooper coming off the ramp onto the highway. That was exit 3. As I was passing him I saw him stare and immediately pop on his lights. At that moment in time I felt like no one can touch me so I gunned it and didn't look back. I went all the way to exit 6 where I got off and dipped through a few streets where finally I got home and stuck the bike inside the apartment. As I got off the bike and shut the blinds I thought that was the dumbest thing I could've done. But it was worth it. He never found me by the way.

vanson1200r
06-17-2010, 12:58 PM
I did once. Just once. Nothing high speed though. I had a 1999 Suzuki SV650 in Michigan and while traveling on two lane blacktop out side of Lapeer a cop passed me and began to slow to turn around (I was going about 10 over) so I turned down a dirt road then onto a service road next to train tracks and stopped and got off the bike and laid it and me over in tall grass. The cop drove by and kept going never to be seen again. I wont try that twice though!

bunkstar
06-17-2010, 01:54 PM
LOL suckers......

fishgutz
06-17-2010, 05:37 PM
My niece's husband has never gotten a ticket or stopped doing as much as 180 on the highway. If his group gets light up, one of them stops and flashes his U.S Marshall badge.

anrkizm95
06-17-2010, 06:08 PM
i need to make one of those badges.can you get a picture

Jon0341
06-17-2010, 08:54 PM
Just stop, don't give any attitude and you will likely not get a ticket. This depends on the officer and the violation though. I have only pulled over one bike when I was working for a local PD and never issued him a ticket. I guess you have to look at it from their view. They are doing their job like everone else and trying to make a living. I am not speaking for all PO because like any other profession there are people who abuse, think they are above and abuse the privileges.

kajer
06-18-2010, 12:55 AM
First of all, I was barely able to read some of the posts in this thread.

Second, Jon0341 is right. It depends on the cop. I saw a CHP doing at least 120 in the left hand shoulder chasing a GSX-R that was weaving through traffic. On the other hand, my CHP friend said he will never chase a bike if they start to run. He knows his cruiser has no chance to catch a bike and respects that. That being said, he also said, if said bike yields and stops for him, he will return that respect and most likely let you go.

Yes, it all depends on the cop, and you can't tell what cop you have until you're already running. Then, when you 'run', is when they start thinking you're a violent criminal and treat you as such if they get a hold of you.

cb750
06-18-2010, 05:19 PM
I unknowingly escaped from a pursuit. I was on a 600 Ninja, on the highway running around 90 in a 65. I started to get this feeling that I should get off the road, so I took an early exit. I made a right, and another right into a dirt lot not visible from the highway. After I had gotten off the bike and stretched, I heard sirens screaming down the road. Right then I thought he must be after me, so I took the back roads to where I was going.

mayo
06-18-2010, 08:39 PM
I received a performance award about two weeks ago for my local law enforcement representative. It was just something I had to accept, kinda like don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

kajer
06-19-2010, 07:19 PM
My buddy just called me and told me that he had to put his money where his mouth was. He stopped a Yamaha something doing 95+MPH on the freeway. The biker stopped for him. The rider was calm and respectful, causing no problems. Sticking to his word, my buddy said he gave him a verbal warning, and let him go.

I told him I was proud and makes the rest of his agency look good.

[up] for cool cops!

buellbee
06-20-2010, 08:26 AM
I've done it in my car when I was younger, quite a few times. I don't go fast enough on the bike most the time to be pulled over LOL.

My car will do 160ish and is pretty comfy at that speed.

fishgutz
06-21-2010, 06:00 AM
A guy I met at at the complex I used to live at said he pulled over as soon as he saw lights. He was doing about 80 in a 70. The cop arrested him, had his bike impounded and he spent the night in jail. $500 fine. Either this guy was lying about what happened or the cops mistook him for someone else who ran earlier.
Guys who run make it more dangerous for the rest of us.
Misplaced anger accompanied by a gun and badge is a dangerous combination.
Personally, I haven't had a ticket in 2 decades. Always gets warnings because I am polite and respectful. These days maybe less likely because of new ticket quotas to raise more revenue.

redliner172
06-21-2010, 08:54 AM
I never have...im too honest. One screen capture of your plate and they will be waiting in your driveway within minutes.

TexasSportBiker
08-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Everybody knows.......if the police have to come and get you....they are bringing an ass kicking with 'em!

DahKGB
08-02-2010, 01:43 PM
And flashbangs...

cb750
08-02-2010, 01:48 PM
You may be able to outrun one cop, but you can't outrun Motorola.

7Mary3
08-02-2010, 04:00 PM
[down] this topic

ProFlex856
08-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Agreed 7Mary3

cb750
08-02-2010, 05:03 PM
7 Mary 3 will pull your ass ovah!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/kjv31/7782/chips_l.jpg

Fock347
08-02-2010, 06:24 PM
speaking of chases i got chased a while back , was ridin the speed limit decided to hit it , then slowed down. i happen to look behind me and i c the cheeries in the distance. so i said **** it im runnin. took a very sharp s curve onto the highway . as i got on the high way i look back and the cop hit the guard rail lol, on the first turn of the s curve. lol that made my night.

bttrfngrz
08-02-2010, 06:38 PM
is it really safe to answer questions like these on the internet? i think we have all had our moments.

7Mary3
08-02-2010, 09:03 PM
When you get to pull a dead body from a wreck caused by a fleeing felon, drunk driver and other such scum of the earth whether on a bike, car, etc, then let me know how smart it'd be to run. No not just a dead soccer mom or old grandfather, your worst nightmares will never equal seeing a young dead child still strapped in their carseat. Oh, to get the true sense of my anger, imagine them now without body parts, a head, their innards laid out like roadkill, or pulling their torso away from the steering post, thier complexion pale white from the loss of all their blood. Hopefully the vehicle didn't catch on fire so at least when they are removed, more body parts don't break off because they are burnt to a crisp. Hope that they didn't experience any pain as their vehicle crashed through NO GOD DAMN fault of their own. THEN imagine the look and anguish of their children, husbands, wives, when they get the news I don't wish on my worst enemy.

I love this site and I know this is an open forum. I am in love with my bike just as you are all with yours and I look forward to all the helpful topics related to our Buells. BUT, sometimes some topics are in bad taste and hit a little too close to home...[mad][mad][mad][mad][mad][mad][mad][mad][mad][mad][mad]

7Mary3
08-02-2010, 09:18 PM
as i got on the high way i look back and the cop hit the guard rail lol, on the first turn of the s curve. lol that made my night.

Classy **** right there. Real ****ing classy.

Jon0341
08-03-2010, 03:21 AM
Exactly 7Mary3 everybody hates the police for doing their job and trying to save a lifes (same for them stopping you for speeding). It is ignorance and the hype of the moment for some to run but they are essentially trying to stop you from becoming a statistic or road grime for that matter.

7Mary3
08-03-2010, 05:03 AM
[up] Jon0341

upthemaiden
08-03-2010, 05:44 AM
I did once when I was younger but don't think I ever will again. It wasn't even intentional when I did it. I saw lights behind me and my right hand just twisted the throttle. I wanted to stop the second it happened, but as soon as I did it I knew there was no way to change my mind and not have my ass handed to me in the process. I have a wife and a house now, so that really isn't an option anymore.

I live in the city now and cops actually have things to occupy their time, unlike when I lived out in the suburbs where you would get pulled over for no other reason than you were on a bike and they're hoping to catch you without an inspection or registration. There will always be people who run just because they want to, but if cops stopped pulling people over for the fun of it, I feel like a lot of people would stop running just because they feel like they have to.

dustin_usmc1
08-03-2010, 06:32 AM
Personally, I don't agree with running. I passed a cop late one night. He was sitting in the median and I flew by, spedo reading 93 mph in a 65. As I looked in the mirror I saw his brake lights come on and I pulled over at the next off ramp. By the time he pulled up the bike was off and so where my helmet and gloves. He thanked me for stopping, I explained that I was in a rush to get home before the rain caught up with me. He clocked me doing 85, I was honest and told him, my spedo read 93. We talked about the bike a bit, he was also pissed at Harley for what they did to Buell. I also didn't have my registration on me. He wrote a ticket for 80 in a 65 and a warning for the registration. He also told me that I "should" go to court, which I did and it was thrown out for faulty equip. Honesty and politeness will get you pretty far, try it out sometime.

sak1782
04-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Ok, so bringing a post back from the dead, I have done this a few times on my old turbo busa, and was never caught. The only time Ive actually ever been pulled over by a cop was pulling out of a Harley dealership while shopping for a CR back before the fire sale. There was a guy there with a turbo roadking, and he was asking me about my bike. At the time, I had it stretched just 2" over stock, and was explaining that even with that, if I warmed the tire up, the front end would still rise like nothing. So as I was leaving the shop, I locked up the front brake, and smoked the rear pretty good, then rolled up to the light.
When the light changed, I rolled into 1st pretty hard, and shifted into 2nd at about 10.5k, front end came up, I rolled off the throttle, and saw lights in the rear view. I pulled off the side of the road, and motioned that I was pulling into a parking lot.

Shut the bike off, tossed my key in the grass, took off my helmet off, and gloves, and stayed on the bike. The officer was smiling as he walked up, and we talked about the bike for awhile, and he asked if it scared me when the front end came up. I was honest, and explained that I had just been BS'ng with the guy at the dealership about the bikes, etc etc etc. Long story short, he told me to keep it safe, that he didnt have a chance to clock me, but if he did, he probably would have taken me to jail. Just gave me a warning, and sent me on my way after asking me to take a picture of him on my bike :)

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e351/sak1782/Turbo%20Busa/IMG_2541.jpg

Here is a picture of it before I sold it. I would never try to run from a cop on my Buell, but may duck out of the way on a side road of trail if I thought I had one looking for me.

bobaganoosh
04-11-2012, 08:05 PM
This past summer I was out riding some back roads and I took off kinda fast from a stop sign. I got up to frobley 80 or 90 I thought and was letting off when I see a cop pop up around the corner. As soon as I met him I pulled over. The bike was shut off and I probley waited atleast a minute or 2. I was hoping he would take it easy on me since I pulled right over for him. I didn't say much of anything just gave hime my papers. I was a mp in the marines and I know. That being respectful goes a long way. I would never right someone a ticket if they weren't being an asshole. He said he clocked me at 100 even which I was surprised and kind of impressed with lol. He wrote me for 100 in a 55. I got a lawyer and went to court about 4 times. I got it reduced by doing a defensive driving course and 30 hours of community service. It was reduced to 86 and I got to keep my license. It cost me about 350 to the court and 250 for the lawyer and now 200 a year to the dmv for 3 years for some new bull**** law. Plus I don't know how much its cost me in insurance yet. If I were to do it again I would run in a heartbeat. I was never really sure about running on my buell cause its low top speed but in the situation I was in I would have easily got away.

Thaloc
04-11-2012, 09:55 PM
I never run. its not worth my job, freedom, and most importantly, my life. So much easier to get a lawyer, or as I now affectionetly call them, Court Wizards, and get the ticket dismissed.

And...HOLY THREAD RESSURECTION BATMAN!

sak1782
04-11-2012, 11:36 PM
Thaloc, I was actually searching for your old crash cage thread when I saw this come up. I copied your parts list from that thread and am going to buy the parts to install a cage on my STT tomorrow. Hows that for round robin :)

Do you happen to remember what sized bushings you used?

user_deleted
04-12-2012, 06:33 AM
i know you're one of the site administrators and all that but i have to say this...being a retired PA state police detective, this is one of if not the most irresponsible posts i've ever read on here. absolutely nothing good can come from either posting crap like this or eluding the police during some sort of pursuit.

1968patt
04-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Ive gone by them at over 100 in PG county Md.He did not even try to pull out and come after me.There was no traffic on the road and they have a no chase policy there.I would have pulled over if he had pulled out.

AgateJrXB12S
04-12-2012, 10:46 AM
I love reading these posts!! :D:p

dmaxguy2008
04-12-2012, 11:15 AM
not a buell but nuckin futz anyways! guys got issues!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTdStgg0x8w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

dmaxguy2008
04-12-2012, 11:16 AM
the cop in the video appears just briefly lol.

CrazyTexan
04-12-2012, 01:31 PM
I blew past one going the opposite direction and then REALLY jumped the throttle once I saw him hit the shoulder and turn around...I kept in it until I knew forsure he was commin after me, Then I just cruised legally until he finally caught up..I wasent gonna try to outrun, just make SURE he was gonna come after me. I was hoping he woulda given up. but diddn't.