PDA

View Full Version : another ecmspy question

ghost12
07-03-2013, 04:45 PM
I don't know if I could ever fully grasp ecmspy.
1. can you share tunes with people
for instance I have a drummer exhaust and my buddy has a drummer exhaust
he tunes his bike and its a really good tune, can he somehow give that tune to me?

2.the data logging is this kind of like dyno tunning without actually strapping the bike to a dyno?

Theycallmecrash
07-03-2013, 04:55 PM
1. Yes and no, if the bikes are identical years possibly, but not recommended.

2. No, nothing like a dyno. Data logging is a recording of the motorcycles sensors inputs and outputs, generally used to monitor for rich/lean conditions so you have an idea of when/where to make a change in your maps. Dyno tuning uses air fuel ratio monitors relative to throttle position and RPM, and does not replicate real world conditions. Its generally used to tune for max power on hard pulls. Dyno tuning is by far more accurate.

Im not a customer of them, but i suggest you look into the sites sponsor "the tuniversity" before you load someone elses tune and potentially have to ask us a million questions about why it runs like crap.

jetlee
07-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Granted it requires good software, fast polling rate and a wideband O2 sensor; but when done correctly datalogging can be more accurate than dyno tuning for rideability as it takes into account all sensor data below WOT as well as real-world conditions (not some fan blowing on a stationary bike spinning a roller).

A real road is always more accurate than a rolling road; quarter mile drag strip vs dyno pulls.

However, most hobbyist tuners don't take the time to do it to that degree properly.

ghost12
07-04-2013, 06:44 PM
Ive been reading the ecmspy how to guide and I guess I'm just going to start posting questions on this thread as I find them.

Q. 3. Do I need to instal a wideband o2 sensor?

Theycallmecrash
07-04-2013, 08:09 PM
No.

jetlee
07-05-2013, 12:08 PM
Need? No.

Can? Sure, with a 5v->1v analog conversion, usually there's an output from the WB-O2 controller for that.

Matteson
07-10-2013, 09:56 AM
Directly from enginebasics.com , "While closed loop o2 can be used with a narrow band sensor, its accuracy is not fine enough to consistently rely on its reading. For this reason I would suggest only using closed loop o2 with a wideband o2 sensor." A guy I know builds and tunes Saabs (track and street) and has suggested welding a bung for the WB-O2 sensor in the header right above the exhaust can and tapping into it for readings for tuning. My understanding is that the stock o2 sensor reads a very "limited" amount of signal data so therefore for fine tuning a WB-O2 is the most accurate.

ghost12
07-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Where would one buy a wide band O2 sensor?

DiRTeNtwisted
08-19-2013, 10:37 PM
So only use the WB O2 sensor infront of the can, and disconnect the narrow band in the rear header pipe.
Or install two WB O2 sensors in the headers like the rear is but one in the front?

Theycallmecrash
08-19-2013, 11:57 PM
Or install two WB O2 sensors in the headers like the rear is but one in the front?
Our bikes seeing as they are 2 cylinders and have seperate fuel and timing maps, unlike most cars and or other bikes, i believe its more accurate to install an additional bung to the front exhaust pipe. Then tuning the cylinders seperately. Because of the huge heat differences front the rear this would be ideal.

jetlee
08-20-2013, 01:40 AM
You have to make sure to convert the 0-5v output of a WB-O2 to a 0-1v signal or you'll fry your ECM. This is why I suggested using the analog output from the WB controller. It's a 0-1v signal, but it's very very linear and very tune-able instead of a stock narrowband signal which looks like an exponential curve.