PDA

View Full Version : Oil Level

HOVERJOCKI
05-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Hello All.
Still getting used to owning a bike so my knowledge on maintenance is zero. That plastic dipstick for the oil doesn't seem that great to me but if the level of the oil is in the full section (just above notch at the base of the full mark) will that foul out the plugs?
I've read in different places that you have to top the oil up alot and also don't put too much in, but i wasn't seeing much of a drop compared to the warnings out there.
Just a question to see if i can learn something new.
Thanks for any info guys.

stevensue
05-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Hi,
I'm not sure I know what you mean by "in the full section" and then "above" part. The oil level should be in the hatched area of the dipstick.

The owners manual for the XB models says to check the oil level at each fuel stop. I have about 1400 miles on mine and have been checking it every other fuel stop. During the 1000 mile breakin, it did use some oil. Since then I have seen very little use, though it has been only 400 miles.

The manual says to check the oil at normal operating temp, bike on level ground, on the sidestand, with the engine off.

The manual cautions not to let the oil level fall below the add/fill level on the dipstick, because it can cause "equipment damage and/or equipment malfunction".

The manual also cautions do not overfill the oil. Doing so can cause oil carryover into the air cleaner causing "equipment damage and/or equipment malfunction".

On the 1000 mile service the dealer put 3 quarts of oil in. It should have been only 2.5 quarts. I discovered the error at 1145 miles and mighty-vacced the excess out. (I live 90 miles from the dealer, that's why I did it myself.) Called the service manager and he said to check the engine seals and air cleaner box. He said the excess oil has only three places to go. Past the oil rings, out the engine oil seals, and out the vent tubes in the air box. I saw no oil seal leaks. I did see a small amount of oil in the air box near the vent tubes. He said with only 145 miles ridden overfull, it should not have caused any major damage. I do not think I had any spark plug fouling. It still runs fine.

As the engine has more miles/hours/time on it, engine parts wear and seals break down, creating more oil consumption.

Use your judgement on how often to check the oil level. Probably more often until you feel comfortable with going longer between checks. But don't go too long or you may get surprised. I wish I would have checked mine 10 minutes from the dealer and then went right back and complained and have them take the excess out.

Hope that helps,
Steve