PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Light XB12S

HOVERJOCKI
05-16-2007, 12:42 PM
Hello Again.
Ok, i bought a used 12S from a dealer and didn't get an owners manual and as shown by previous posts by me i don't have a clue about this stuff yet, but heres my question.......
When my fuel light comes on my display switches to the F mode and when i asked about this at the store they said its supposed to show how many miles i have left until everything goes quiet...but i'm not seeing that i just see an increase in miles like my trip meter...now when i fill up i'm only getting 2.6 US GALS to top off.... so how much fuel do i have left in distance.
Also, i thought the reserve for the S was .8 gallons and that would be what i had left when the light comes on, but again, going to fill up i'm only getting to put 2.6 gals in.
Any help would be great.
Thanks again guys and girls.

MPea3
05-16-2007, 02:00 PM
Similar story here... when the light comes on, the bike starts a new "f" tripmeter at zero, with about a 2.75 gallon fillup. 52 mpg on the last tank though, riding briskly in the N Georgia mountains

stevensue
05-18-2007, 11:02 AM
Hi,

I checked the manual and it says for the Ss and X the reserve is .83 gallons. I have been getting about 50 MPG. So I figure conservatively that I am going to find a gas station before the F trip gets to 35 miles. (50 X .83 = 41.5) The fuel tank total is 4.4 gallons.

On the S, SX, and Scg the reserve is .75 gallons and the total is 3.82 gallons.

Hope that helps,
Steve

HOVERJOCKI
05-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the info.
Still not making sense when i fill up though. I am assuming that the light comes on when i hit the reserve which in my case is .75 gallons and as i am running a 3.8 gallon tank i should be filling up at least 3.1 gallons but right now i'm only getting 2.6 in the tank to the rim...... guess i need to ride until it stops and then see what happens.
Justin

stevensue
05-18-2007, 06:27 PM
I know -- that just doesn't make sense. I am going to let mine hit reserve and see what it will take. Maybe the reserve sensors (or whatever) aren't that accurate. Your F-trip may be just going off at 1.2 gallons. In that case, you can ride farther before getting gas. Steve

stevensue
06-05-2007, 09:45 PM
OK, It's been raining here alot and I finally hit reserve. I have the XB12Ss. 4.4 gal for fuel, F-Trip on at .83 gal. So, it should take 3.57 gal. I got 3.55 gal. in. So I think mine is pretty accurate. Have you figured anything out on yours?

congersCG
06-05-2007, 09:58 PM
I also can relate. When coasted into the gas station my fuel light was on and it read 35.4 not sure what that suppose to be cause it sure isn't miles. I was told that my xb12scg would hold 3.75 gallons.

fez
06-06-2007, 04:47 AM
the low fuel light comes on when you hit reserve. then a special trip meter becomes active on the display and tells you how far you have gone since the low fuel light came on.

also, if you have a vin on your old bike (2005 - 2007) you can go to buell.com, register as an owner, and access the manual on-line. if you are at all different in size from the person you bought the bike from, you will want to tune the suspension to your weight. it only takes about 15 min and makes a difference.

DruAdams
06-06-2007, 01:05 PM
i just managed 56 mpg riding my 12r around town. Lots of stop and go but also some highway been running 91 or 93 octane depending on the station i stop at. I have been averaging about 2.6 gal per fill up and about 12-15 miles once the reserve trip meter comes on. I am sure i could go further, but since my commute is only about 25 miles, i tend to fill up either near home or near work. and $8.00 a week in fuell beats the $30+ i had been averaging taking the most direct route to and from. Now i leave a bit earlier, and look for twisty roads to make the commute more fun. It may take a little longer to get where i am going, but it is a lot more fun getting there.

stevensue
06-06-2007, 08:51 PM
"Now i leave a bit earlier, and look for twisty roads to make the commute more fun. It may take a little longer to get where i am going, but it is a lot more fun getting there."

:D :D

Steve

7Mary3
01-22-2010, 09:19 AM
It may take a little longer to get where i am going, but it is a lot more fun getting there.

[up][up]

fishgutz
01-22-2010, 02:11 PM
I hear ya.
When my ride to work was 4 miles direct, I managed to extend it to 9 miles.

delta one
01-22-2010, 06:53 PM
Do you have a hole in your frame on the left side? The older bikes had these for an original use of turbo duct work but after Harley gave it a red light it was a waist. Later gen XB's now use that space for more fuell. This applies to all standard length XB's.

City X
Bolt
S
Sl
Scg

fishgutz
01-22-2010, 08:22 PM
I have the Ss, so probably no hole.

Butters
04-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Holy thread revival, Batman!

I have a 2009 Lightning XB12Scg. According to this (http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2009models/2009-Buell-Lightning-XB12Scg.htm):

Fuel Capacity: 3.82 gal
Reserve Fuel Capacity: 0.75 gal

So does that mean that I have a TOTAL fuel capacity of 4.57 gallons?

Also, is it bad to let your bike run completely out of fuel and sputter to a stop? Will that somehow "foul" the plugs? (As I've heard some people say...)

anrkizm95
04-30-2011, 10:22 PM
So does that mean that I have a TOTAL fuel capacity of 4.57 gallons no the 3.8 includes reserve

Butters
04-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Thank you very much!

uly luigi
05-01-2011, 04:35 AM
running out of gas will not hurt the plugs, but it will put a lot of stress on the fuel pump, due to heat, the fuel pumps are cooled by the gas in the tank, when my reserve/low fuel light comes on, I stop at the next decent gas station and fill up avg about ~3.3 gallons, 150-160 miles, oh I have an '08 Uly XT

dave3200
05-01-2011, 07:29 AM
Hey there. Just wanted to say, because no one else did. If I'm on an incline my fuel light can trip on. And the Fuel milage counter turns on. But when I ride on a flat surface again then my fuel light goes out but the fuel count still counts. That would explain why your fill ups aren't right. The bike makes you think you have less fuel then you do. Or my bike is the only one that does that. Ha