PDA

View Full Version : 2001 blast backfiring when accelerating/ and cutting off and wont start back for like 30 mins!

justinj
07-16-2013, 01:16 PM
i recently bought my 2001 blast and when accelerating it back fires and when i get to 5th gear and i am just crusing its cutting out like the bikes going to die out! and a couple of times it has actually cut off and it wont start back up for like anywhere from 30 mins to an hour then it fires right back up! now the other day i rode it and stopped at a bar for like 45 mins went out side to leave and it wouldnt start at all so i got somebody with a truck loaded it up and took it home which was a 25 min ride so a total of like an hour and a half has went by when i get it home get it out of the truck and it fired right up! this is my first bike so i really have no idea where to start!

jetlee
07-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Have you messed with the carb jets at all? Have you tried to "clean the carb"?

If not, DON'T!

Put some seafoam in the gasoline and run it as much as you can close to home. Let the seafoam clean the carb out.

Also replace your spark plug. Buy an NGK DCPR9E and gap it to .040".

justinj
07-16-2013, 04:44 PM
no i havnt and somebody else told me it sounds like its vapor locking. do you think that could be it?

jetlee
07-16-2013, 06:20 PM
No. Vapor lock is virtually impossible on a Blast. For one it's carbureted and two the fuel line is so short that vapor would go right up and out the petcock and tank vent.

1. Drain the fuel, replace with new + seafoam.
2. Replace the spark plug.

What modifications (if any) are on the bike? List ALL!

justinj
07-17-2013, 04:13 PM
there are no mods its straight stock but im going to try the seafoam and spark plug today when i get off of work! ill let you know if it doesnt work!

justinj
07-20-2013, 12:55 AM
So i did the sea foam in the gas and a new spark plug and it was still doing it well when it cut off one me that day i took the spark plug out and had no spark! So my father in law got on another forum because he couldn't find this one and they told us to change the ignition coil so i replaced it and its still doing the same thing! But when i drive it and its cool outside and the bike isn't warmed up it runs fine but as soon as it gets warmed up good it starts cutting out then it cuts off! so my friend said it sounds like its over heating and he said there's like a safety thing that when it gets to hot that it kills any spark to keep from seriously messing anything up. Is this true and any other suggestions what it could be??? Thanks so much for your help!

jetlee
07-20-2013, 06:26 PM
So i did the sea foam in the gas and a new spark plug and it was still doing it well when it cut off one me that day i took the spark plug out and had no spark! So my father in law got on another forum because he couldn't find this one and they told us to change the ignition coil so i replaced it and its still doing the same thing! But when i drive it and its cool outside and the bike isn't warmed up it runs fine but as soon as it gets warmed up good it starts cutting out then it cuts off! so my friend said it sounds like its over heating and he said there's like a safety thing that when it gets to hot that it kills any spark to keep from seriously messing anything up. Is this true and any other suggestions what it could be??? Thanks so much for your help!

What forum did he get on? The coil hardly ever goes bad.

The symptoms point towards a bad ignition module, they do tend to fail. I had you do the seafoam and plug because they're cheap fixes before dropping the $100 for a new module.

justinj
07-24-2013, 02:59 PM
well seems nobody stocks this part so i have ordered it i will let you know what happens when i get it replaced! but is there anything else it could possibly be if this isnt it?

justinj
07-24-2013, 03:00 PM
also i rode it yesterday and it cut off on me but ireached down and smacked the ignition module and it started right up so im really thinking this is it

justinj
08-05-2013, 04:40 PM
thanks alot for your help after replacing the module it did fix the problem! now my only problem is everything vibrating loose! but thats to be expected!

Nativ3 Rag3
08-16-2013, 08:46 PM
So my Blast is an 03 and it has a D&D straight pipe and i believe thats it unless the pro-series intake cover means something special but mine also start and at idle back fires when i give it gas at a constant rpm rate and then sometimes will die a couple seconds when i left off the gas. Would the module be the same thing for me.

Nativ3 Rag3
08-17-2013, 05:48 PM
Bump ! For myself with the comment above /\

jetlee
08-17-2013, 10:57 PM
Re-read this thread and address all questions and instructions as if they were directed at you.