PDA

View Full Version : clunky gears...

deederville21
07-21-2013, 01:49 PM
Hi all, I'm new here. I just bought an 01 blast as my second bike...I upgraded from a 250 :D. Anyways I've noticed that from first to second and from second to first it's real rough and clunky and grinds quite a bit. I have found that when I shift hard and fast its much better. My husband says he still needs to adjust the clutch and primary...does this make a big difference? Also I've noticed that while riding in first gear its pretty jerky, any advice on how to handle that? I try to be real easy on the throttle but sometimes its hard. Thanks for the tips!!!

jetlee
07-21-2013, 03:38 PM
It's a Harley transmission, it's clunky. That's just the way it is.

1st gear is always jerky. It's a low ratio gearing on a high torque motor. Don't ride in first gear, shift out of it.

deederville21
07-21-2013, 03:42 PM
So adjusting the clutch and primary is not necessary? I was told it helps but how much does it help? Worth it or forget it?

jetlee
07-21-2013, 10:30 PM
It's always worth it to adjust the clutch and primary, so you know it's set right. It won't help the clunk though.

Hit up just_some_dude (http://buellridersonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7750) for some AMSOIL, that's been reported as making the trans very smooth along with a shift pawl adjustment.

deederville21
07-22-2013, 03:31 PM
Great! Thanks for the advice!