PDA

View Full Version : G D Gremlins

MONSTER
02-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Ok so my 04 XB12R wont start. She started acting up a few weeks ago. Once in a blue moon kinda thing. When i turn on my key the dash lights up but no engine check light, only oil and neutral. Headlights dont even come on. HELP[mad]

MONSTER
02-09-2009, 04:43 PM
To follow up with more information. Nothing changes when i cycle the bars back and forth, wiggle the wiring coming out of the ignition cylinder, and i havent noticed any bare or broken wires.

Stevenc150
02-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Sounds like something wrong with your "Run-Stop" switch on the brake side. You tried toggling that Run-Stop switch back & forth a bunch of times? If so try tracking the wiring to see if it's rubbed through or bad connection somewhere. My bike is at home so I can't help you much more than that right now.

LeFox
02-09-2009, 05:41 PM
the light stays out when there's a problem...you need to check for a trouble code.

firechickenXB9R
02-09-2009, 06:20 PM
I though Foxy that the light stayed on if there was a problem! Not questioning your knowledge but just double checking mine.

Thanks,

MONSTER
02-09-2009, 08:21 PM
engine light doesn't come on. the few times that it has done this leading up till now, i could just toggle the key on and off and it would work, very inconsistantly i might add but it would work. then all of a sudden yesterday morning.....nothing. sat a played with it (jiggling wires toggling switches in different combinations, anything...... nothing.

oxygen151
02-09-2009, 08:52 PM
I dont know if this will help but this is directly from the service manual.

If the engine stop switch is set to RUN with the engine off, and
the ignition key switch is turned ON, the check engine lamp
should illuminate for four seconds. See Figure 4-13.
Battery voltage is supplied to the lamp bulb. The lamp bulb is
grounded by the ECM through the BK/Y wire. A lack of power
to the ECM will cause the check engine lamp to be inopera-
tive and also create a no start situation.

LeFox
02-09-2009, 09:57 PM
I though Foxy that the light stayed on if there was a problem! Not questioning your knowledge but just double checking mine.

Thanks,
my bad...my head isn't in the right place at the moment.

Stevenc150
02-10-2009, 03:17 AM
It has to be your wiring worn through, bad connection, bad relays, etc. Oxygen's great info showed that power not reaching the ECM will do the same. Heard of wiring under seat wearing through because of cramped space. Sure hope you figure it out.

MONSTER
02-10-2009, 02:36 PM
once again spent about 30 min. fiddlin' with wires under the seat and around the steering head. nothing yet but, i have a friend who has been tinkering with buells for a while who is going to gimme a hand.

MONSTER
02-10-2009, 11:31 PM
well i flipped around the starter/key/ignition relays and i think that my problem is the Key relay.