PDA

View Full Version : Good cheap muffler XB9

Gloomshadow
07-22-2013, 06:34 PM
Im looking for a good but cheap aluminium muffler for a xb9.. does anyone know of one? Anyone got anything used for sale maybe? I just pulled the stock muffler and its just too heavy for what Im looking for.. I need something lighter.

chevy42083
07-22-2013, 07:43 PM
Keeping Chin fairing or not?
Have a source for an aftermarket J/connector pipe at the front?

If you have a shop to bend up/make a "header to can" pipe, and you don't plan to keep the chin fairing.... you can probably use any motorcycle exhaust can... or make a similar setup to other who mod a car muffler to work (not sure how light those are).

If you want to keep the chin... and you don't have a source for the connector pipe... you might as well spend the money on one of the full setups IMO.

Gloomshadow
07-22-2013, 08:21 PM
yeah I forgot about that... the chin mounts are on the muffler..
My other XB has a carbon Jardine on it.. I just pulled the stock muffler off of my XB9 and I was like "No way!.. DAMN that's HEAVY!" Ive never picked up a stock muffler before.. not even CLOSE to what my Carbon weighs... Im having a hard time bringing myself to putting that thing back on there.. that's a lot of weight!!!

user_deleted
07-22-2013, 10:55 PM
Im having a hard time bringing myself to putting that thing back on there.. that's a lot of weight!!!

it's beefy but the placement of it is brilliant.

Denman
07-23-2013, 03:18 AM
I have an aluminum jardine for ya haha.

03Firebolt9R
07-23-2013, 04:22 AM
Whats the difference in weight?

Gloomshadow
07-23-2013, 06:49 AM
denman.. how much you want for it?

firebold9r.. the difference is a lot. my carbon jardine is like you are holding a muffler made of cardboard.. the stock version is about the same weight as a .... **** I don't know, it feels like about 10lbs,, and those stock mounts look big and heavy too... maybe about 15 lbs. vs my carbon's say 4 lbs including aftermarket mounts... big difference... just picking up a stock muffler vs a carbon youre like "**** THAT.. I DONT WANT THAT ON THERE"..

somecallmery
07-23-2013, 11:53 AM
If you can't work something out with denman I'm in Orlando and have an aluminum Jardine with fairing brackets.

ReconLdr
07-23-2013, 02:19 PM
Im looking for a good but cheap aluminium muffler for a xb9.. does anyone know of one? Anyone got anything used for sale maybe? I just pulled the stock muffler and its just too heavy for what Im looking for.. I need something lighter.

You could remove the "guts" from the stock pipe and weld it back together... or send it to Hawk for $200.00. My gutted stock muffler weighs considerably less than it did when I started.

d_adams
07-23-2013, 04:36 PM
"Good" and "Cheap" are usually mutually exclusive, ie; you get what you pay for. Want something good? You're going to pay a little more for it, but it will last a fair bit longer than a cheap alternative. It also depends on what your definition of "cheap" is. $400? $600 or $1200?

Look around at prices on what's available, then compare that to what other bikers pay for an exhaust on something like a Ducati or some other exotic bike. There's stuff out there that runs up over $3k for an exhaust on a bike. It's still the same length as the stock unit, the difference is quality of build and materials. Well, that and the name tied to it.

Gloomshadow
07-26-2013, 02:07 AM
made the trade with somecallmery.... real nice Jardine and hes a good dude.

Turns out that my "stocker" wasn't "stock" it was a modded stock muffler, shortened a bit but the job was so well done I didn't notice it.. I thought all SX models came with that..