PDA

View Full Version : Won't start - No check engine light

EVLXB
02-10-2009, 03:11 AM
Went for a very short ride and a very long walk on Sunday. I had a few parts powder coated (seat rails and bars...), installed a Jardine pipe and a race ECM this winter. Sunday was nice so I went out and the bike stopped running a 1/4 mile from home. Had to push it home.

Now - when I turn the ignition on the check engine light does not come on at all and the fuel pump does not run, the needles do sweep though. I put a new, fully charged battery in tonight and pulled out the race ECM and put the stocker back in. Still nothing. i have gone thru and check my grounds and followed the service manual trouble shooting and it says my ECM needs to be replaced. WTF? Why would 2 ECM goes bad in 2 days?

Am I missing something?

oxygen151
02-10-2009, 03:29 AM
Did you do a TPS reset after the new race ecm?

Stevenc150
02-10-2009, 03:38 AM
Sounds very similar to this: Gremlins (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Firebolt-XB12-XB9/Troubleshooting/G-D-Gremlins).

LeFox
02-10-2009, 10:30 AM
would check the engine run switch...i remember someone else on here some time ago who had trouble with it.

EVLXB
02-10-2009, 11:45 AM
I did not do the TPS reset. Was just going to run it around the block and see how it reacted to the new ECM.

I don't get a check engine light or neutral or oil light.

It doesn't seam like the engine run switch, but I will look at it tonight.

Is there a way to check if the ECM is good or bad?

Thanks for the help guys.....

LeFox
02-10-2009, 11:58 AM
you don't get any lights when switching on the ignition?

how's your battery and it's connectors?
did you disconnect the battery when switching ecm's?

EVLXB
02-10-2009, 03:06 PM
No lights - except high beam light

Battery is new connectors look ok.

No I did not disconnect battery (I really should have), but it did start and run for 10 minutes before it went dead.

LeFox
02-10-2009, 07:54 PM
check the fuses...you could have caused a short and blown a fuse.

also, every electrical work you do, always disconnect you battery!

EVLXB
02-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Checked the fuses and replaced the starter and fuel pump relays. Could I have fried the ECM (stock and race)?

EVLXB
02-11-2009, 01:37 AM
Could some one do me a huge favor?

Diconnect you battery , unplug your ECM (gray and black connectors), reconnect battery and see if the check engine light will come on and see if the the starter will bump.

The deal said that even if the ECM is bad you should still be able to bump the starter with the button.

LeFox
02-11-2009, 07:16 AM
don't have access to mine atm, so...:o

EVLXB
02-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Gee thanks for the help Fox...

Is the chassis a ground on these bikes?

When I check continuity from the battery to the ground cable (in the seat rails) I get a buz, to the heads I get a buzz, but no buzz to the chassis or the headlight support bracket.

Can someone check their bike?

MONSTER
02-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Evl,

Monster/Popeye here i got the same info here that i did on Badweb. still pretty convinced its the relays. try pulling the key relay and replacing it with the ignition relay with the key off. now it should turn over but not start, as it doesnt have spark. if you switch it with the start relay then you'll get a light but no starter. if this scenario works then i would bet a paycheck thats your problem.

EVLXB
02-11-2009, 08:28 PM
I put 2 new relays in it last night and switched them around too. Ingition relay clicks, fuel pump and starter make no noise. Still NFG.

I'll let you keep your paycheck if you can get this pig runnin for me :D

I'm really thinking it is a chassis groundinging issue - gonna grind off more PC tonight and see if that works.

EVLXB
02-12-2009, 01:36 AM
I almost hate to admit this - I figured it out. I did not realize the seat rails carry the ground to the frame. So when I put the PC'd seat rails on I did not scrape the coating off at the mounting points - duh.

Fired up - on one cylinder anyway - plugs are fouled - new plugs and I think I'm good to go.

Thank you all for the help.

oxygen151
02-12-2009, 03:14 AM
Glad to hear you fixed it. On a side note, i remember you saying you are in the mid-michigan area. I go to school here and I just recently got some things powdercoated and I was just wondering who you used?

JOEL9
02-12-2009, 04:56 AM
glad you figured it out! when i powdercoated my side rails i made sure all the mounting screw holes were masked off. [up]

EVLXB
02-12-2009, 12:09 PM
oxygen151 - I live in Freeland. Where are you going to school?

I used a guy in Bay City - Custom Powder Kote. Jim did a nice job and he masked and plugged all the holes. I forgot about masking the mounting surface.

oxygen151
02-12-2009, 04:00 PM
I go to Northwood University in Midland. I did a search for powdercoaters in the area and I ended up going with Component Coatings in Saginaw. It was cheap and it turned out real nice. I will have to try your guy out next time since Bay City is a little closer.