View Full Version : Help. Blew head gasket in agoura hills

rcellucci
07-27-2013, 12:26 AM
On trip to south cal from Berkeley and it sound s like head gasket blew

Ideas??? 925-789-8573
I don't even know where to have it towed

rcellucci
07-27-2013, 12:44 AM
This is a 2008. What kind of bike blows a head gasket(I think) at 15k miles.

rcellucci
07-27-2013, 01:16 AM
Bike ran beautifully for over 300 miles then bang!! Lots of exhaust noise and 1/2 power

I have put over 3000 miles since I bought it.

Looks like it will go to Moorpark Harley 805 552-9555 6190 condor dr.Â*Â*Â*They are open til 7pm

Macbuell
07-27-2013, 03:39 AM
Sorry to hear. If you were in my neck of the woods I would have tried to help you out, sorry. Best of luck

Theycallmecrash
07-27-2013, 03:49 AM
What makes you think head gasket? Exhaust noise? Im betting your exhaust manifold cracked somewhere due to vibration or heat wrap, possibly even amd exhaust mounting stud, specifically onthe rear head near the O2 sensor. But with little to no info on your actual problem its hard to say.

If i am correct, and you have the funds, have harley remove your exhaust header (shouldnt be more than a couple hours ro R&R) find a local ship with a tig welder and have them repair it.

If head gasket, i say get a ride home cause you wont be riding for a while.
Good luck, i just got back to San Diego from monterey on monday, had to deal with a major oil leak on the side of the freeway 300 miles from home, i feel your pain.

Internet Annoyance
07-27-2013, 07:50 AM
Sorry to hear your pain..... Next time Triple A (AAA) is your friend,,, I have triple A plus and they will tow me up to 250 miles for free. I once broke down in my truck,, the water pump went, late at night while fully loaded with bikes and parts AND pulling a fully loaded single axle trailer. I was returning from a swap meet in Southern Oregon, Broke down on I-5 in a remote area.
NO WAY could i leave that truck and trailer sitting somewhere... there was $20,000 worth of bikes and parts there not including my old 65 GMC,,, so the tow company came out with a roll off truck (Flatbed) loaded my truck on there, hooked my trailer to his hitch and towed me all the way home,,,30 miles more than the limit, so i handed him some cash and some steaks out of my freezer (I raise cows) to bribe him.
I would have been majorly screwed without that service. Worth every penny.
I use the service several times a year.... I melted down my battery terminals on my daily rider Sportster last fall,, and had to get a tow, out of gas once last summer (Defective petcock on the sportster) and locked my keys in my wifes car. worth every penny.
hope you are up and running soon.[mad]

rcellucci
07-27-2013, 05:40 PM
Well the bad news is in. Not a head gasket or exhaust gasket, but a dumbass former owner that apparently did not think torque wrenches are necessary. The spark plug blew out of the cylinder--no threads left. $1200 and counting. I am now having them chec the other cylinder to see if I need another head if its both, I may just have inserts installed

rcellucci
07-27-2013, 05:48 PM
I am about 400i miles from home. Geico towed to dealer. It was past 7pm Nearest rental was about 50 miles at lax. Paid 130 for ride to that. I think this is turning out to be a $2000+ trip
And I was happy that I was seeing over 44mpg til this happened

anrkizm95
07-27-2013, 07:58 PM
pretty common problem you need a timesert kit at 100 - 130 bucks and about an hour of your time.
good luck

rcellucci
07-28-2013, 05:13 AM
Unfortunately, I already told the dealer to put the new head in. Their method of repair requires removing the head and sending it to a machine shop. So there is not a lot of cost difference between a new head and an insert. With the bike 400 miles from home I have no place to do the work myself and no easy way to get the bike home. I expect to pick it up and ride it home on Friday(after I pay the dealer $1200)