PDA

View Full Version : on a VERY tight budget

BuckDWildass
07-28-2013, 04:43 PM
got an xb9r that is fully stock, so far, looking at D7D duel out slip on, the airbox delete from ASB,a baker xl6, mew pulleys, and the preprogrammed ecm from EBR, I want to keep the acceleration the same if not better and still be able to burry the speedometer needle well below the factory 160mph mark...any suggestions?

Theycallmecrash
07-28-2013, 05:07 PM
What? Low budget, but you want all that.

Performance mods will only get you so much on these bikes. The bike regardless of the available modes will never do 160mph.

Suggestions: get the exhaust and air box delete. Purchase a tuning cable ($50) download ecmspy or tunerpro (free) research and modify your stock ECM for your setup. Cheapest route to gain power and at the same time learn a ton.

An exhaust air box and a simple tune is all you need, but dont be too disappointed when its not 1,000,456,d7,30,blue,green, gillion more horsepower. And you cant do warp 9.9

anrkizm95
07-28-2013, 05:22 PM
revperf bigbore kit and a chain conversion.if you just want to bury the speedo chain conversion

oh9bolt
07-29-2013, 12:19 AM
still be able to burry the speedometer needle well below the factory 160mph mark

Lol

Tork
07-29-2013, 12:59 AM
The Baker XL6 won't work on your bike.

BuckDWildass
07-29-2013, 01:09 AM
hmmm...all very helpful and greatly appreciated, but brings about the next question, wasn't there a factory 6spd for the XB models? I thinking kinda remedially here, but with less weight, a tweaked out gearbox, and the power to turn the ratios, shouldn't one b able to convince his local police to give him an impressive driving award (speeding ticket)? a chain kit is probably a given due to the ease of switching out the final drive, but that will only do so much in the long run on its on...

Theycallmecrash; wild as it may sound, I actually am on a tight budget. im just trying to get my shopping list together to cover the next few years lol not like she will be turning a lap by the end of summer haha

BuckDWildass
07-29-2013, 01:15 AM
@Tork: do you know of any 6 speed trans for the xb that would work? maybe there is a manufacturer out there who has one that will bolt up and be similar in exterior dimensions?

buellbradski
07-29-2013, 01:23 AM
Your kinda asking a lot for a low budget. These bikes just arnt fast. They got great low end grunt and are more fun than any bike can legally be. In my mind the funnest bike ever made for the money.

The best money would be spent on a exhaust , programming and a chain conversion . But I wouldn't expect a super bike. If you want a stupid fast bike for cheap it would be easier to buy a older gsxr 750 . But I think the Buell is just better will a solid exhaust a good tune and some sticky tires. It's not ment to be stupid fast . It just a fun 0-60 bike .

BuckDWildass
07-29-2013, 01:55 AM
stupid fast: no
enough to keep the cops from chasing me to find out what it is or give me a ticket for the sound of the exhaust: YES!!!
biggest problem with that is I gotta be able to out run the new chargers that are weighted down with all that police gear (a solid 150mph without going chernoble should do), and still accelerate quickly enough that having to take turns super slow (extreamly rough roads around here) wont matter...but again I must ask that everyone please keep in mind that this is just an effort to form a shopping list, one step at a time yall lol

sprk_sprd
07-29-2013, 02:09 AM
Welcome to gixxer.com.

Theycallmecrash
07-29-2013, 02:23 AM
To gain higher top speed you will have to sacrifice acceleration. And you wont be able to produce enough horsepower to make up for the loss in acceleration. Ive done the pull to 140mph a few times, it was slow, took a lot of time and covered a lot of distance before it was there. What you are asking for, is to be put into jail, shunned by other riders, lose your life, loose a limb, or become a bigger retard, or all those things. Its starting to sound like you got the wrong bike, then again motorcycles were never designed or intended to be tools for evading police. Good luck Squid

buellbradski
07-29-2013, 02:30 AM
enough to keep the cops from chasing me to find out what it is or give me a ticket for the sound of the exhaust: YES!!!
biggest problem with that is I gotta be able to out run the new chargers that are weighted down with all that police gear (a solid 150mph without going chernoble should do), and still accelerate quickly enough that having to take turns super slow (extreamly rough roads around here) wont matter...but again I must ask that everyone please keep in mind that this is just an effort to form a shopping list, one step at a time yall lol

Great plan! Let me know how that works out. Seriously running from the cops is a dumb idea. It only makes them want to right you more tickets , maybe even soccer kick your face in for being a moron. I know many cops and everyone will give you a break if you honest and stop . By running your only putting your own life in danger.

Just a example last year I was pulled over by a state trooper on a back road I was going 120mph he thought I was running from him. He was pissed untill he realised I had no idea he had been following me. I apologized and he wrote me for a non moving violation.

Drive smart all the gear in the world can't save a wreak less driver

BuckDWildass
07-29-2013, 02:47 AM
Im starting to think I would have more success by explaining the nature of law enforcement in my local area...if your pipes are loud enough to be heard from the inside of a car parked next to you while you are at engine idle (regarless of year make and model), you go to jail, they impound your ****, strip the parts, sell them on ebay, pocket the cash, kick the bike over and slide it about for a bit, and put on the report that you low sided while evading and resisting all because you try to have and enjoy nice things and they are scared of vehicles with less than four wheels...my thought is: we all know your gonna accuse me of it so why not be able to do it? especially when taking into consideration the fact that just last night I was pulled over due to lack of visibility and given an improper equipment violation due to my exhaust being insufficiently noisy...o and did I mention I happen to live in bass akwrads NW ALABAMA, of all the places in the world to find a buell...seriously, its almost as if I am being asked to cross all lines of reasonability from everyone under the sun, and all I want to do is be left to enjoy my buell...and not get run over or be told that it is my fault bc no1 can see or hear me...

BuckDWildass
07-29-2013, 03:00 AM
maybe I should just say it like this: bring your street bikes around my way, spend the weekend, and you will understand why I ask what I am looking for...but I still think everyone is under the impression that my bike will undergo extensive mods this winter...when truth is, it seems like everyone has already made up their mind about other riders based on the mods they intend to do, no one seems to have noticed that im just tryin to piece together ideas for the time being, or that ill be lucky to be able to pick up a K&N air filter this winter...

buellbradski
07-29-2013, 03:47 AM
I'm sure you feal like your being profiled but seems to me you come off with the wrong aditude. Now I don't know how johnylaw works around you . But cops are humans too! Many ride bikes and do simular things as us . Perhaps you would get farther with respect than making a run for it. I'm not judging I had a simular outlook abou 12years ago so I get why you think it's a good idea to run but I'm telling you it's a really dumb idea. You may get away with it once maybe a dozen times . But your aditude could getcha killed too. I just hope you smartin up before it catches up with you. No matter how fast you think you are you can't out run a radio. Now if you still want advice on how to evading the fuzz I think you will find a crotch rocket forum with a bunch of teens on it more suitable to that conversation.

BuckDWildass
07-29-2013, 05:02 AM
unfortunately in my town the brass removes all hints of humanity...its like when they r on company time all bets are off and if u have something that would out flash or out run their harley that they refuse to take care of, thats when they start to act lile peiole again, well, locals any way...they dont care about u unless they are bringing you down, & the badge is just more reason to do so...i just want them to be so impressed and awestruck (or maybe even confused) by my bike that they are too busy scratching their heads or too scared because of it being unique to trash it while i wait to get out...point is, buells are different, and i want mine to end up being even more so to the point that when i get locked up for driving more $$$ that what bubbah shiny-badge has in his retirement account, that its differences buy me time to get out & save my baby before they do what they do...

Tork
07-29-2013, 06:17 AM
@Tork: do you know of any 6 speed trans for the xb that would work? maybe there is a manufacturer out there who has one that will bolt up and be similar in exterior dimensions?

None that I am aware of. Also, the XB motors do not feature a drop-in transmission design. The tranny is internal to the engine, requiring the cases to be split for any type of transmission repairs or modifications. So regardless of manufacturer/vendor, a transmission upgrade would not be a simple bolt-on project. There were no 6-speed factory Buells until the 1125s.

If you want the ability to tweak your own final drive ratio to a desired quickness or top speed (one or the other), then a chain drive system is probably your best shot. Note that if you regear for higher top speed, it'll take you longer to get there, as Crash mentioned. The lower revs might give you a few additional miles per gallon, but you're not going to turn an XB into a rocket.

Learn to love the torque that these bikes are designed and are famous for. If top speed is your priority, it'd be cheaper, easier, and probably less stressful to just buy a faster bike.

wolfo68
07-29-2013, 01:39 PM
A. Buy a camera

B. If they're that bad, never ride alone.

Fatty SS
07-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Oh. My. God.

Tips to outrun the cops: sell your Buell, jacket and helmet. Buy Gixxah, wife beater and flip flops.

You would seriously attempt to evade the police over an exhaust violation? How about you just leave the stock can on there and not street ride like a god damned idiot? Problem solved.

If your reasoning is simply that you want to go fast, I can get behind that. Book yourself a track day and rip it up.

Enemy Zero
07-29-2013, 02:30 PM
Oh. My. God.

Tips to outrun the cops: sell your Buell, jacket and helmet. Buy Gixxah, wife beater and flip flops.

You would seriously attempt to evade the police over an exhaust violation? How about you just leave the stock can on there and not street ride like a god damned idiot? Problem solved.

If your reasoning is simply that you want to go fast, I can get behind that. Book yourself a track day and rip it up.

You sir, are getting an up vote for this. I've been reading this all night laughing. I'm all for people wanting to go fast and learning the craft of motorcycling but if it's really that bad where this guy is, I'd keep it stock for the streets or just build a track only bike that I can run hard.

ReconLdr
07-29-2013, 02:55 PM
Im starting to think I would have more success by explaining the nature of law enforcement in my local area...if your pipes are loud enough to be heard from the inside of a car parked next to you while you are at engine idle (regarless of year make and model), you go to jail, they impound your ****, strip the parts, sell them on ebay, pocket the cash, kick the bike over and slide it about for a bit, and put on the report that you low sided while evading and resisting all because you try to have and enjoy nice things and they are scared of vehicles with less than four wheels...my thought is: we all know your gonna accuse me of it so why not be able to do it? especially when taking into consideration the fact that just last night I was pulled over due to lack of visibility and given an improper equipment violation due to my exhaust being insufficiently noisy...o and did I mention I happen to live in bass akwrads NW ALABAMA, of all the places in the world to find a buell...seriously, its almost as if I am being asked to cross all lines of reasonability from everyone under the sun, and all I want to do is be left to enjoy my buell...and not get run over or be told that it is my fault bc no1 can see or hear me...

Based on what you've said in this thread, your problem is:

Cops in your area are pricks and they are just looking for an exuse to pull you over and **** with you.

Your proposed solution to this problem is:

Make your bike faster so you can out run them, riding a bike that (according to you), no one else owns in your town.

Do you really think they won't know/find out where you live??? Or catch you eventually???

Let us know how this works out for you.

wolfo68
07-29-2013, 03:19 PM
Make your bike faster so you can out run them, riding a bike that (according to you), no one else owns in your town.

Do you really think they won't know/find out where you live??? Or catch you eventually???

But the logic is flawless!

If you haven't figured it out, proposing a bad idea in the Buell community that makes us look bad and makes police want to pull us over if we ever wander into your area will make Buellers try to talk some sense into you.

There are simple solutions here, please don't seek out the bad ones.

Cooter
07-29-2013, 03:50 PM
"We're on a VERY tight budget Lloyd!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7rWRatmvZE

Which of course made me think that BuckyDWildass just needs to carry a bottle of pee with him. That will teach those stupid cops for sure!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGu0B6kL9eM

Not to be too harsh, but notice a theme here? The vast majority of the Buell community has grown out of that phase. Please heed our advise.
Remember:
The cops are ALWAYS right[sad], and you can't ride in prison.

BuckDWildass
07-29-2013, 09:44 PM
track only bike, & a streeter in the stable...aint even thout about that! that actually sounds like a better idea than what everyone else had mentioned, but i dont know where to find a busted ass rusted out chinese single cylynder...only way they will treat bike riders like normal people around here...i bought the bike brcause it is different, its unique, its cool as can be! but unfortunately the cops around here ARE like that, & the sad part is i was being polite...got red hair? year round tan? taller than 6'1"? shorter that 5'4"? drink at a bar? have a v8 in your car? yea they are like that...liking the track bike idea, might just go that route w my shoping list!

Theycallmecrash
07-29-2013, 11:12 PM
[confused]
The **** i just read???

oh9bolt
07-29-2013, 11:13 PM
[confused]

anrkizm95
07-29-2013, 11:44 PM
lmfao,we're being haunted

buellbradski
07-30-2013, 01:40 AM
biggest problem with that is I gotta be able to out run the new chargers that are weighted down with all that police gear (a solid 150mph without going chernoble should do), and still accelerate quickly enough that having to take turns super slow (extreamly rough roads around here) wont matter...but again I must ask that everyone please keep in mind that this is just an effort to form a shopping list, one step at a time yall lol do you live in hazard county? Boss and roscoe always after your farmland ?

Posted: 30 Jul 2013 01:44
My exact thoughts!

Cooter
07-30-2013, 04:32 AM
Drinking and posting is wrong.

Theycallmecrash
07-30-2013, 04:49 AM

Took me a second... And thats terribl...ly funny.

stensg
07-30-2013, 06:59 AM
Well this was a good read glad i stopped in lol 5 thoughts while reading.
1 move
2 your past with the cops is catching up with you
3 buy a gsxr
4 your over exaggerating
5 are you high?

BuckDWildass
07-30-2013, 02:46 PM
1 no enforcement of emision laws or vehicle inspections make it more appealing to stay
2 my past is flawless, cops here are just jerks for the fun of it
3 why so they cab further profile me as a drug mule/dealer?
4 i wish i was
5 cant get high...not with my job that is

i mean seriously yall, if i had the money and the time to do it i would just build a custom fram and slap a 1.3L twin turbo wankle with a shaft drive on it, fab up a LSR body kit & roll out to the salt flats...im just wanting the most from my firebolt that i can get in due time, and considering the slack my state allows on custom vehicles of all sorts, still have the headlights, blinkers, & tail/brake light installed and operational (in all reality yes that is all one needs for a bike to be street legal here)

stensg
07-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Dude plenty of places don't have emissions my state doesn't also i don't need blinkers and its only a $20 ticket no points for no mirrors. Idk i think you got the won't bike for what you are wanting. Where was it you live again?

Fatty SS
07-30-2013, 04:46 PM
If you're looking to go that fast, you bought the wrong bike. The xb line are fantastic street bikes, but a supersport they are not.

Also, if you want anybody here to give you reasonable advice on how to increase your top speed, find a more tactful way to ask. 'I need to outrun the em-effin' pigs, yo!' will only get you made fun of. Try a simple 'I want to increase my top speed'. Any sport bike rider can relate with just wanting to have fun. We get that. But some jack off blasting up the interstate at 160mph with half the county on his tail makes doing a little over the limit a lot harder for the rest of us. And we don't appreciate that.

Ghosted
07-30-2013, 04:46 PM
DAFUQ did i just read?

Ghosted
07-30-2013, 04:48 PM
http://s5.favim.com/orig/51/little-wonders-blog-moustache-the-****-dafuq-Favim.com-558378.jpg
http://newnation.sg/wp-content/uploads/dafuq-did-i-just-read-meme.jpg

jetlee
07-31-2013, 12:07 AM
if i had the money and the time to do it i would just build a custom fram and slap a 1.3L twin turbo wankle with a shaft drive on it

Why??? It would be overly heavy for the output and the handling would suck balls. You're forgetting that engine requires 1.5 GALLONS of oil for proper lubrication and cooling in addition to the huge radiator and gallons of coolant required for water cooling as well. Fuel consumption? HA!

You really don't know what you're trying to build, do you?

Go get a Hondakawasuzuyama GSCBZ13ARRRR!!!!

Hzuiel
07-31-2013, 01:14 AM
All the nonsense aside...

The ASB airbox eliminator kit is overpriced. Cut out the part of the airbox that holds the filter down and find some inventive way to strap it down. May way of securing it cost about 8 dollars. You can do the breather reroute for about 15 dollars or 40 if if you wanna get a little bit fancy.

K&N filter $45

If you want to get the most out of the bike you'll still want to tweak the race map ecm, which means another 500 dollar cable and software from EBR, That is 805 dollars. That's hardly budget. Get a laptop cable and bluetooth module for $130 and tune yourself.

As far as I am aware the baker transmissions are direct drop in swaps, either 5 speed or 6 speed. They will cost you though, around $2600 for the 6.

Revperf 1170 kit for the xb9, $999.95
Crank case boring $265
Crank shaft lighten, inspect weld and true, about $450
Head machining including clearancing for high lift cams and oversized valves, plus upgraded springs and matching oversized titanium valves, and a set of off road use only cams, about $2000?
Raise the redline to 8,000 <free>

Probably about $150 on a larger oil cooler and fittings.
Bronze oil drive pump gear if it's an older xb. $100

The belt is the same as the 1125, right? He shouldn't need the chain conversion unless he's going to be putting more than 130hp to the ground. If you do it, it's about $1000 dollars to do it right I think.

$500-$1000 for a clutch that is appropriate to be reliable for that amount of power.

So you are looking at about 7000-8000 dollars plus lots of hours of your own time and labor to make something that would do 160mph.

Cooter
07-31-2013, 01:42 PM
Here we go again[sad]

As far as I am aware the baker transmissions are direct drop in swaps, either 5 speed or 6 speed. They will cost you though, around $2600 for the 6.

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Firebolt-XB12-XB9/Buell-aftermarket-parts/factory-XB-6-speed

Theycallmecrash
07-31-2013, 03:27 PM
The belt is the same as the 1125, right? He shouldn't need the chain conversion unless he's going to be putting more than 130hp to the ground. If you do it, it's about $1000 dollars to do it right I think.

Wrong.

No one suggested the chain conversion because of power output. Also the belts are not the same from XB to 1125. The chain drive was suggested because you can change your final drive for higher top speed or more acceleration. Thank you for the input, but regardless of everything you suggested, at 200hp the bike would still not do 160mph. Increasing the redline might get you close, so at least that part was true.

Fatty SS
07-31-2013, 04:24 PM
Right. Top speed is dictated by final drive ratio and engine rpm. Increasing engine rpm will increase top speed a little, changing gear ratios (via chain conversion) will have a slightly greater effect. Though, by the time you geared it high enough to reach 160mph, it would accelerate pretty poorly without greatly increasing horsepower. It might go really fast, but it'd take a while to get there. By the time you built an xb to *go* fast as well as *accelerate* fast, you'll be many thousands of dollars into a build. Many, many thousands. Like, enough thousands to buy a second bike and insure it.

If you want to go 160+ mph, you bought the wrong bike. Take the $6k +/- you'd spend building the snot out of the Buell and buy yourself a nice used liter bike to kill yourself on. Gear a modern liter bike so it accelerates like a 600 (still faster than an xb9 after it winds up) and you've got a solid 160+ mph bike after $250 in mods.

Theycallmecrash
07-31-2013, 05:42 PM
Just put stickers on it. Thatll make you go faster, with enough decals im sure you can out run any cop

Fatty SS
07-31-2013, 06:04 PM
Ooh, maybe slap an NWA sticker on it! That's good for 5mph by itself, and the police will really appreciate it!

Hzuiel
07-31-2013, 08:05 PM
Sorry for the inaccuracies, but my point was the sum total of what it would take to make the xb9 even remotely close to able to run from the police like that, you could by a used busa and go outrun the helicopters. Not that i'm advocating such shenanigans, just saying the xb9 is not a police escape vehicle.

heagachongoose
08-24-2013, 02:02 AM
This thread hurts my mind.

Gloomshadow
10-01-2013, 08:52 PM
I cant BELIEVE I miss this thread!!! My mind is spinning...

Dude, sell that XB9 off to someone who knows what its good for.. and then take the money and buy you a used 'BUSA! Next time you see the cops HIT IT!!.. take that ****er up to like 200mph.. they will NEVER CATCH YOU!! Weve built some badass Busas on this group.. me and Theycallmecrash one time even made a GXXR Goblin bike that you would ****ing LOVE.. it was built from day one to out run pigs..