PDA

View Full Version : Funny handling with stock Dunlops?

EuropaChris
02-11-2009, 05:37 PM
The patient: '06 XB12Ss with 4400 miles and I believe the OEM tires yet. If they aren't the originals, then they are the same D207 and D208 tires as OEM. Decent amount of tread yet on both.

Symptom: When riding in a straight line, it almost feels like riding on rain groves but only on the back tire - it "squirms" just a bit back and forth or so it feels. Dry roads, good condition blacktop.

I'll recheck tire pressures, but I did a quick check and added air the other day to 36 front/38 rear.

I've not heard a lot of good things about the Dunlops, but is this a trait of them or something else I need to look into?

Chris

Stevenc150
02-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Definitely more bad than good about Dunlops on these forums as far as our bikes are concerned. I have them too and don't notice any of the symptoms that you're experiencing. Be swapping for Pilot Powers as the Dunlops are just about gone.

Check the air in them, but might also check your side-to-side play of the rear wheel, in case the bearings are pre-maturely failing. Either way, that "squirming" can't be good.

Buell_Cru
02-11-2009, 06:41 PM
The subject line said enough..."DUNLOP".

Go with Pirelli[up][up]

(Damn what a commercial)

ROJO
02-11-2009, 07:08 PM
I have the Dunlops, and I have not exp what you are explaining. I will also be swapping when mine are done. I agree with Stevenc150, you might have a much more serious problem.

GatorBuell
02-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Dunlops flat out suck, Make sure your suspension is set to your weight to much preload in the front or rear will throw you bike out of wack.
Have you logged onto the Buell website and registered your bike. That will give you access to the Owners manual, look under "Operation" and scroll down to the suspension settings, It also has a problem solving chart if you are experiencing any problems with the handling or turning. Make sure your looking at the Ss chart its different than the S/Scg chart. Make sure the suspension is set correctly or you could have problems while cornering aggressively.

LeFox
02-11-2009, 08:17 PM
1) dunlop...rated about 6.3/10 by motorcylists, switch when you can ;)
2) you're using 2 different ones.
3) check your suspension
4) check bearings

NOMORE4s4ME
02-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Fit some Pilot Powers along with the check ups LeFox mentioned, and forget that Dunlop trash. Those things blow.

EuropaChris
02-11-2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the tips!

I've been through the suspension already per the owner's manual setup for the Ss, but I will double check everything again just to be sure.

I'll also check the tire model #'s again and verify the 208/207 thing just to be sure of what I have. I was going off a quick glance some time ago and didn't pay a lot of attention.

It's a real minor thing - and also both times I've ridden so far it has been very windy, so it might have been the wind buffeting the bike around. I also want to check the front wheel and steering bearings just to be sure all those are up to snuff. I just had the back of the bike off the ground for an oil and trans fluid change, clutch and primary chain adjustment, etc. and it all seemed snug and smooth.

Chris

EuropaChris
02-12-2009, 01:39 AM
Just checked - both tires are D208. While treadwear isn't too bad, the rear is pretty flat in the center and the front has some "wavy" wear patterns.

Everything seems tight and snug on the wheels, swingarm, and front end.

oxygen151
02-12-2009, 03:17 AM
I would definitely look into the wheel bearing. On a side note, I have brand new dunlop qualifiers on my bike and I actually really like them.

dave_xb12r
02-12-2009, 07:01 AM
While treadwear isn't too bad, the rear is pretty flat in the center and the front has some "wavy" wear patterns.

Maybe you can post some pics of the tires? It's hard to tell just by the description. I personally think you should start by getting new tires. From what you mentioned, it sounds like its time. After you have a new set of tires(and after you break in those tires) you should be able to get a good understanding of what is wrong if anything is. :D

LeFox
02-12-2009, 09:32 AM
is it the front that is twitchy?

EuropaChris
02-12-2009, 12:39 PM
I don't think it's the front - it feels fine in that regard. It feels like the back tire is "greasy" or soft. Stability and turning feels solid.

I'm going to guess that the rear tire with the flatter center, combined with the road surface and the wind, was the issue. Some of the roads surfaces are "rutted" from the tire tracks - higher in the center and lower on the sides. Combined with leaning into the 30mph crosswinds, I was probably riding on the "edge" of the flat strip, causing the squirmy feeling.

I only felt it at certain times on certain roads, so I don't think it's a bearing/bike issue. It def. feels like tires to me.

typeone
02-12-2009, 01:17 PM
spoon on some fresh buns [up]

EuropaChris
02-12-2009, 03:58 PM
I've been looking at the Bridgestone BT-021 or BT-016 or the Conti Road Attack. My riding leans towards sport touring/commuting and just plain relaxing.

Since most of my usual roads are flat and straight, I need a tire that won't burn down in the middle too fast and give good mileage.

Stevenc150
02-12-2009, 07:28 PM
If you're looking at getting new tires, here's a Great thread with tire reviews, though I don't know if the source is reliable. ;)
The Big Topic: Tires (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/General-Motorcycle-Chat/the-big-topic-tires)

Just an observation, the Michelin Pilot Power 2's have dual compound. Harder compound in middle for better wear, and softer/tackier around perimeter for grabbing in the corners.

LeFox
02-12-2009, 07:59 PM
EuropaChris...

for your riding-style, i would go with the micheling pilot road 2ct ;)