PDA

View Full Version : Trans oil

sorrell45
02-11-2009, 11:29 PM
The Buell manuel says to put Harley-Davidson Sport-Trans fluid into the trans. I went to a shop today an got Formula+ trans and primary chaincase lubricant, they said it is a replacement for the sport trans fluid. I was wondering if it would be okay to put the Formula+ in without any adverse affects?

Bordsnbikes
02-12-2009, 02:05 AM
Yes, that's good stuff. Put it in.

LeFox
02-12-2009, 09:18 AM
just make sure you drain you trans good...

Thaloc
02-14-2009, 01:33 AM
I was looking at the PDF download, and it doesnt say, how much trans fluid to put in, it just shows the diagram at the bottom of the teeth. How many quarts is that? And I was very happy with RP motor oil for my trans fluid last time. Should I put 10w-30 or 20w-50?
And what did u mean by that LeFox? Is it hard? I have a pitbull stand and it makes my bike lean a bit to the right cuzz the swingarm.

sorry for all the questions, i just decided it was time for me to do this not a shop, for the first time.

Stevenc150
02-14-2009, 03:42 AM
Owner's Manual calls for 1 qt. in transmission, which is how much I used plus a small pour for good measure so it'd look like the diagram. I'm liking the 20W50 Royal Purple in mine for now.

Thaloc
02-14-2009, 04:26 AM
Ya i on the edge, 10w-30 cuzz its still freezing ass cold out, or 20w-50 cuzz it'll be 50+ before I need my next change.

Bordsnbikes
02-14-2009, 03:10 PM
May I bring everyones attention back to the Primary Oil Discussion. You shouldn't use engine oil in your primary, please read, lots of good info in their.

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/Primary-Oil-Discussion

teh Nub
02-14-2009, 04:09 PM
I use amsoil 20w50 in both or 10w40 in the engine/swingarm and 20w50 for the primary/tranny in the winter. The amsoil I use was designed for air cooled twins for use in the engine,transmission,& primary.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mcv.aspx

Thaloc
02-14-2009, 07:58 PM
All the oil for motorcycles/ATVs is Max Cycle Boards. Its all the same. Designed for both. They do have regular 20w-50 but its for cars. So if you buy any Oil for your Swingarm or Primary it should be Max Cycle.

Thaloc
02-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Ugh I just changed my primary. ALOT of milky sludge was built up on the inspection cover. And the oil itself was a bit milky. So I put 20w-50 in and will change in 1k miles so it cleans it all out. Thanks for all the help guys!

teh Nub
02-15-2009, 12:55 AM
I don't understand how so many people are getting milky oil/sludge. Do your bikes stay out side all the time? How often is the oil changed? I ride in the rain quite a bit (went through a monsoon Tuesday night on my 30-40 min ride home) and wash my bike a lot also and never get milky oil. I've owned the bike since Juy 2nd 2008, have done 4000 ish mile oil changes and have put 7000 or so miles on the bike. I've had milky oil once on a CR125 only because I jumped it into a pond.... I just don't get it...

Thaloc
02-15-2009, 01:32 AM
Its from letting your bike cooldown outside while its really cold. I live in Washington State and I ride almost year round. I store my bike inside at night, but its outside from when I leave in the morning till I take it in at night after im done going places. After the Primary Change iv decided to deal with the fact that my house is going to smell like motorcycle and my motorcycle will last longer. Ill let my bike cooldown inside from now on.

My primary got changed 1,700 miles ago, I planned on changing it at 1,500 but had a long ride day before yesterday. It was wierd tho, the primary oil was just a bit milkey but the inspection plate had like cream colored sludge built up on the inside of it, took me a while to clean it up. Makes me worry about the places I cant see. So like I said Ill be changing it in 1k just in hopes it cleans the rest out.

teh Nub
02-16-2009, 12:12 AM
I do the same with riding to work and the bike sitting outside all day for 9 hours or more. I live in Indiana, but have been leaving the house in the 20's or 30's and the temperature getting in the 40's or 50's during the day. I'm very anal about maintenance, but common problems from other bikes/riders get me worried sometimes.