PDA

View Full Version : Buell Xb12SCG Suspension Conversion

TZippria
05-17-2007, 02:27 PM
Hey there everybody! This is my first post on your site here as I am the proud new owner of a brand new 07 xb12scg. I came accross a deal that I couldn't afford to pass up on this bike and I had to get it. However, being 6', I am quicking realizing that the cg might be a little too small for me.

I have been thinking of trying to convert the suspension to that of a 'S'. I have seen plenty of salavaged rear suspension setups for the regular S on ebay and various other sites and I was wondering if the results are going to be worth the trouble? And if so, what other parts am I going to need to buy to pull this off?

MPea3
05-17-2007, 02:47 PM
Why don't you first start with a taller seat? Either the stock non-cg seat or an aftermarket seat might bring it up enough

TZippria
05-18-2007, 07:31 PM
Well that is an option. Is there a significant handling advantage to having the cg suspension? If it is just for short people than I would rather change out the whole assembly you know?

mrdozer2you
05-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Should work [up] its the same bike just different seat and suspension. Buellpartsguy where are you on this one?

cecil1
05-18-2007, 08:08 PM
Want to swap suspension parts
(rear shock and front springs)?
I need to lower mine.
I'm in upstate NY

Tim

TZippria
05-21-2007, 01:01 AM
Hey thanks for the input everybody. cecil i might be interested in your rear spring, i think the front might be a little more work than I want to take on. Any good seat recommendations out there?

ctrucky
11-11-2007, 05:31 PM
TZippria, i just bought a 2004 xb12s. i would be VERY intersted in trading my seat which is in good condition, and my back shock which is also in good condition, for your cg stuff. email:ctrucky@Charter.net

dmp0001
11-11-2007, 08:53 PM
I think you might end up with some huge set up issues if you only change the rear suspension, I would stick to either both or none

BuellPartsGuy
11-11-2007, 10:46 PM
I have lowered just the rear with a CG shock before without any problems or issues.

If you want to change the front, it is easier and almost the same money to swap out the entire fork assembly rather than just the springs (which isnt possible because the sliders and many other things in the fork is different to allow you to run the shorter spring)

If anybody has any questions on lowering a XB, let me know. I have lowered 4 bikes in the last month alone, not to mention, some before that. I have lists of all the part numbers needed to lower all the different models. Depending on the year, you may need more things than other years to lower it. I sent out a 2008 Firebolt last week that was lowered 2 1/2 inches.

TZippria, I have a complete stock suspension and all the other needed components left over from a job here if you would be interested in it purchasing it for cheaper than retail, and all the components only have 6 miles on them. It would raise your bike up to normal "S" height. If you are interested, let me know.

bdugal
11-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Hey BuellPartsGuy I'm interested in your normal "S" parts. I too got an incredible deal on an 03 XB9SCG and couldn't pass up on it. I need it to be higher..

jabooty
11-18-2007, 08:07 PM
i have an 06 XB12S that i would like to lower. possibly just the front forks only. anyone wanna swap?

BuellPartsGuy
11-18-2007, 09:07 PM
bdugal, where abouts are you located? I will ask what he wants to get for them. I am just being the nice guy for the customer I actually installed the lowering kit for and selling the stuff he has left over for him. I know it will be a great savings over buying new and they only have 6 miles on them. I will give him a call and see what he has to say and let you know as soon as I find something out.

jabooty, I would start by lowering the rear of the bike first. It is more cost effective to do that and less work. Not to mention, it is safer to lower only the back than to only lower the front.

BuellPartsGuy
11-18-2007, 10:13 PM
bdugal, I spoke with the customer about what he wanted for all the stock parts on his bike. If you were to purchase all the stuff brand new it would cost around $1100, he want $800 for all the stuff he has. He doesnt want to separate it, its only as an entire package. Let me know if you are interested in purchasing it from him. I will relay the message asap.

bdugal
11-18-2007, 10:56 PM
BuellPartsGuy, thank you for finding out for me. $800 is a great price but with the Holidays coming up I may have to hold off a little bit. I am located in Jacksonville, FL.

BuellPartsGuy
11-18-2007, 11:42 PM
Well I dont know if he is going to want to wait that long. I will let you know.

BuellPartsGuy
11-19-2007, 07:46 PM
bdugal, my customer is willing to wait till after the holidays for you to purchase if you want. He just wants to know for sure that you want it, otherwise he is going to sell it. If you do not think you want them please say so.

bdugal
11-21-2007, 06:13 PM
BuellPartsGuy, I don't want to commit just yet. Sorry, but I'd rather say no now instead of saying yes and backing out later on, bad policy in my opinion. I don't want to do anyone wrong. Thank you very much for the help, once I know for sure I can commit to it, I'll be sure to post. Thanks again.

BuellPartsGuy
11-22-2007, 02:25 AM
Let me know, I have another set a customer is looking to get rid of in the same condition.

precbsed
11-22-2007, 01:50 PM
The low suspension does allow for a lower center of gravity. You may consider trying a stock City Cross which seat will raise the seat height significantly before changing out the suspension. I happen to be looking for a stock low seat if you want to sell yours.