PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to reprogram my ecm?

PrimeTime
08-09-2013, 02:25 AM
Hello All,

New to motorcycles, new to Buell and new to the forum. First off I love my bike, 2009 XB12R. I bought it a couple weeks ago and it only had a 1000 miles on it. I installed a K&N air filter and i reset the TPS. What a difference just that made. I have a chance to buy a Showyo Moto Ram air airbox cover. Would i really need to get the ECM tuned? Does adding the airbox make that big of a difference? Another TPS reset? Thanks in advance.

Theycallmecrash
08-09-2013, 02:34 AM
Does it have a full exhaust on it?

Even then.... No, you dont have to do any re tuning. Some will argue otherwise and suggest that you should with stigma about running lean and hurting your engine. Its all crap. Remember its a forum, lots of good info around tons more of bull****.

Btw welcome! Post a picture or it didnt happen, wannabe.

Im Crash, always willing to help out where i can, feel free to send a PM if needed. Where ya from and are you a weirdo?

PrimeTime
08-09-2013, 02:41 AM
Thanks for the reply. I always appreciate help. I live up in north east ohio and i dont think i am too weird, my wife may say differently.

No it doesnt have a full exhaust.....yet. I am planning on getting a drummer this winter since it takes awhile to make. I was suprised though how nice the stock exhaust sounds, really excited to see what a aftermarket will sound like.

theoctopus
08-09-2013, 03:07 AM
The 08+ bikes often run remarkably rich from factory over a large portion of the map, which helps them continue to perform effectively even with performance modifications. I'm not sure I understand why people freak out when they're running an exhaust and/or filter with a stock tune, since the likelihood of it causing severe damage is really very, very small.

With that said, it's not uncommon to develop a powerband with significant flat spots, and you're definitely missing out on a little extra power and torque. If you start noticing hesitations, hiccuping, or difficulty starting, then it's probably time to consider tuning. When that time comes, drop by my site (www.thetuniversity.com (http://www.thetuniversity.com/)) and shoot me a message, I'll get you tuned and up and running in no time flat.

evolDiesel
08-14-2013, 10:37 PM
I just posted in the other tune thread [not far from this one]. I think I might try this if I can get confirmation that it will work albeit a little spendy ($300 bones)
http://www.erikbuellracing.com/store/models/xb12/xb12-preprogrammed-ecm.html
My 08' XB12R defintely has flat spots, rocky fueling, and consistent lean pops under engine breaking. I'm down to drop $300 for something totally plug-n-play.

PrimeTime
08-15-2013, 01:30 AM
Those ECMs are a little pricey. But getting to stock ECM tuned seems to be just as much but more to your driving characteristics.

CAR95610
08-15-2013, 06:05 AM
is it possible to reflash your pcm on your own too change the timing and fuel on a stock ecu? ive read its possible but have foumd it has issues with burning up on a 2009 1125cr? please respond asap looking for answers asap. thank you

evolDiesel
08-15-2013, 08:28 PM
Those ECMs are a little pricey.
I agree but if it's an EBR ECM for my exact setup and all I do is plug it in... I can live with that ;)