PDA

View Full Version : Safe/quieter to use stock exhaust with Race ECM?

walnuts
08-13-2013, 07:36 PM
I purchased my bike ('03 XB9S) last fall and it already had a full Buell Race Kit isntalled on it. Well, I'm getting boring in my old age and am wondering if there is any downside to bolting the stock exhaust on to replace the race unit to get a quieter bike. Is there a significant dB rating difference? It seems to me that I shouldn't be concerned with the tune at that point since IIRC the race ECM makes the bike run richer so with the lower flowing exhaust, it should be safe as the rest of the kit components will stay, correct?

50dro
08-13-2013, 07:42 PM
Logic seems right but I'm not an expert in the tuning field. If you need someone to "dispose of" that ugly loud race pipe I'd be glad to help. :p I might even trade you my stocker for it! ;) Good luck!

walnuts
08-16-2013, 06:38 PM
Well, I just realized I don't think the "Race ECM" will manage the servo on the stock exhaust and I don't think I have the actuator anyways. Oh well!

davidwick
08-17-2013, 01:09 AM
The XB9 never had the exhaust actuator so exhast swap would be simple. Just be sure the exhast was from a 9 and not a 12. also the 9 exhaust is favored for modification as it is lighter in weight.

Fatty SS
08-18-2013, 02:21 AM
I have a stock 12 can on my 9 and it works great. Sounds fantastic, too. I can't answer your ECM questions, but I can say with certainty you can mount either 9 or 12 can onto a 9.

walnuts
08-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Well, I'm glad I posed this here then. I was not aware that the 9 didn't have the servo. I know my exhaust is the stocker from my bike so it looks like I can swap it over afterall. Thanks all!