PDA

View Full Version : Turbine intake

skellybuell
02-14-2009, 03:28 AM
I have thinking of diff ways to do an outer airbox mod and somewhat of an idea and was wondering if it would work. This is the idea ..... have four flush mount holes on the front side of the outer airbox with some piping going to the inner airbox. On the front side of the tubes I would have mesh and somewhere on the inside of the tubes I would like to put some sort of fans kinda like a turbine to help suck ithe air in. I was hoping as speed increases and the engine sucks more with increasing rpms the fans would spin faster thus sucking in more air. I am not sure if this would work so thats why i am asking you guys.......any input would be good either positive or negative......Thanks in advance ..

Stevenc150
02-14-2009, 03:57 AM
Been tons of tests on the Tornado, you know the turbine looking thing you put in your intake hose on a car. All of them found that anything you put in the way of airflow, no matter what the shape or intention, it causes less airflow.

So in my feeble mind, I'm thinking if you put powered "turbines", that actually force more air in, it may work, but if you use stationary or just free-turning turbines, it'll just look cool and actually inhibit airflow to an extent.

But I have to say, the concept sounds awesome. [cool]

dave_xb12r
02-14-2009, 04:11 AM
It would definitely inhibit airflow unless the turbine was actually powered. For that there is 3 options,

1. Electric motor, but that has proven to be less effective that regular ram air.

2. Exhaust powered- which is what a "turbocharger" is

3. Engine powered, like with a belt or chain- which is what a supercharger is.

Any type of forced air induction is definitely cool, but the cost/effectiveness would eventually lead you to the big question "Why are you waisting your money, why don't you just buy a faster bike?"

skellybuell
02-14-2009, 04:31 AM
Haha thanks for the input guys thats pretty much what I thought but it was an idea. Would it improve over stock is the question. I think it would look pretty sick with the fans being visible. If it would make it worse than stock I woudnt dream of doing it.... but if it would make it a little better and look bad ass then im down. I mean everyone is doing these airbox mods maybe if it makes it a little better than stock I could lie to people who dont know and say that its a big upgrade...... just a thought... :p

dave_xb12r
02-14-2009, 06:01 AM
You know, you could alway put some computer fans in there that run when your bike is on. They would look like turbines which would be cool, and have no negative effect. You should do it!

veeemdoubleu
05-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Hook up N20 and jet a small stream near the intake opening to cool the air even more :D

kajer
05-09-2009, 09:11 PM
LOL N2O!

I remember taking my old beater civic, running a small air line from the cabin to one of the holes in the hood for the washer fluid jets, and a can of dust-off

we'd pull up next to a hard core ricer, hit the dust off and it'd come out from under the hood like a N2O purge valve... The ricer would lose self control and totally take off from the line when the light turned green..... ahhh the 'N2O'

kajer
05-09-2009, 09:14 PM
well now that I think about it, a small 12v fan could help idle, possibly. Thinking that if you could keep air moving through your airbox when your're waiting for a light to turn green, could help you intake air temp stay low.... maybe

dave_xb12r
05-09-2009, 09:18 PM
I have an extra airbox cover, shall we do some cutting?

kajer
05-09-2009, 09:23 PM
we need to decide, CFM, RPM, MM-diameter, location... variable? temp controlled?

sounds like a fun 'shop night'

dave_xb12r
05-09-2009, 09:30 PM
I'll have to open the airbox first. My K&N gets here tuesday and hopefully I'll be tuned by next weekend

kajer
05-09-2009, 09:36 PM
sweet! JUST IN TIME FOR THE BUELL WEEKEND!!!!!!!!

twisted
05-09-2009, 09:43 PM
if it works let us know it was something i thought of doing just because i know sitting at a light your sucking in hot air. i have a K+N, my bike sounds better rolling than still.

goatsxb9s
05-10-2009, 11:47 AM
I would only do it if it was a secondary path for air, leaving the stock inlet. Like Kajer said it may help keep temps down at idle, but there is no way it will keep up with your v-twin. Getting your ram air in the area with highest press. (like i front of wind screen) would aid when at speed. The next best thing you can do is keep temps down with heat shield.

cannibol
05-21-2009, 02:47 AM
Dude, I know where your coming from. Use a computer cooling fan. You can get them in various sizes, and they use very little electricity, and you can hook it up to a switch to turn it on and off.[up]

09XB12Ss
05-21-2009, 03:29 AM
You could try an electric induction turbine thingy RC jets use. Some have some serious push to them and they run on very low voltage.

dave_xb12r
05-21-2009, 03:36 AM
^^Ducted fans can push some serious air, but they are power thirsty and regularly run on 7.2 volts. Plus those brushless motors are $$$$$$.

I think I'll be using one of these

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/35-213-010-04.jpg

# Bearing Type: 2 Ball
# RPM: 4000 RPM
# Air Flow: 190 CFM
# Noise Level: 59 dBA
# Power Connector: 3 / 4 Pin
# Dimensions: 120 x 120 x 38mm
# Features: Rated Voltage : 12V Operating Voltage Range : 7 ~ 13.2V Input Current : 2.00 Amp Input Power : 24W Maximum Air Pressure : 17.78 mmH2O The Delta 120x38mm Extreme High-Speed Fan is an outrageously high performance fan that moves 190 cubic feet of air every minute.

$30.99

sedars
05-26-2009, 04:10 PM
dude, if anyone does a fan intake, that would look really sick, It would not do much for actual air intake, but I might do it just for looks.

x9firebolt
07-26-2009, 12:52 AM
davexb12r, where do you find a fan like that