PDA

View Full Version : xB9 not shifting into neutral

focalepointe
08-20-2013, 12:58 PM
since I have purchased this bike, I have had shifting issues anyways. I felt it was EXTREMELY difficult to shift period. I changed out the trans oil and it worked like a dream.
About a week ago, I started the bike and stepped over 3 feet to close the garage door. I heard a "crunch" and looked back to find my xb laying on her side. AWESOME kickstand. No damage found visually besides a scuffed clutch lever and handle bar end cap. The next day when riding, I could not get the bike into neutral at stop lights or even when I arrived at my destination. I mean, it felt like it was shifted into neutral as i could let out on the clutch lever and it would not role forward. I began thinking, the light was out. I parked it and when I was ready to leave, the nuetral light came on. So i started thinking, "there is a short in the wiring." This goes back and forth. Ill ride for a about 15 minutes then the neutral light and issue start acting up. Once the bike has sat for 30 minutes or so, it works fine again.
Here is whats weird.... If I do shift it into what I think is neurtral (meaning i can let the clutch out and it wont engage into a powered role) and the netrual light does not come on, I am not able to put the kick stand down. It will shut off as if it is in gear.

ANY THOUGHTS OR SUGGESTIONS?

rah7777777
08-20-2013, 01:52 PM
I know when my clutch cable started breaking, it was very hard to find neutral.

evolDiesel
08-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Slightly incendiary topic: My kickstand is also no exactly confidence-inspiring. Are all Buell kickstands really this 'loose' feeling; or just old ones? It feels like there is hardly any spring force.

chevy42083
08-20-2013, 04:09 PM
My kickstand feels "sloppy" (lots of forward and up movement beyond the natural "swung down" position). When I park it, I put the stand on the ground, then pull the bike back to "set" it into the deepest location... especially if running or on a slight downgrade.

I did the same with my last kawi, though it had much less play.

user_deleted
08-20-2013, 06:40 PM
focalepointe: check your shift pawl return springs. there have been a few instances of bikes falling over on the sidestand side and dislodging these springs. when it happens it makes finding neutral impossible along with other bad shifting symptons. regarding the sloppy stands, you can always prop up the bike, remove the stand attachment bolt, spring, and spring hangar...put stand in press and crimp the stand ears back to factory specs. reattach stand to stand bracket and make sure it is snug but still rotates freely before reassembling hardware. that almost always snugs them back up to stock.

focalepointe
08-20-2013, 07:12 PM
[up] lunaticfringe

evolDiesel
08-20-2013, 08:30 PM
[up] lunaticfringe. I need to try that.

focalepointe
08-21-2013, 03:39 PM
sooo.... would you believe that the shifter pawl is not found in the PDF manual. the only thing I did find is a trouble shooting tip.

I have no idea what the shifter pawl is or what it looks like. any ideas where I can find info for properly adjusting it?

ztied
08-21-2013, 08:26 PM
I believe there was a recall for kickstand spring and bracket at one time because of the bikes falling over.
It was replaced with a differnt spring and bracket to keep it locked in better.

user_deleted
08-21-2013, 09:58 PM
I have no idea what the shifter pawl is or what it looks like. any ideas where I can find info for properly adjusting it?
focalpointe: it is behind the clutch pack/basket assy. and you can plainly see both springs with primary cover off. one is hairpin type spring, other is return spring. i mention this as several months ago a board members' buell fell over onto left side during transit and snapped off both springs resulting in same issues you're having.

I believe there was a recall for kickstand spring and bracket at one time because of the bikes falling over.

2003 and perhaps a few early 2004 xb's had kickstand BOLT, spring, and spring hanger replaced with later model kickstand PIN, spring, and redesigned hanger. again i would suggest vertically supporting your bike, remove kickstand itself, check that stand mount is tight to bottom of motor, and betting you'll find the stand ears have become spread apart resulting in sloppy fitment.