PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust gasket

wally
08-20-2013, 06:13 PM
I assume there must be a gasket where the headers slot into the exhaust?

I have started hearing a slight blow from there - as if it is not seating correctly.

If yes, anybody have a part nr on hand?

Thanx!

Theycallmecrash
08-20-2013, 06:36 PM
Well of course. Hopefully the exhaust mounting stud did not break. Thats bad

wolfo68
08-20-2013, 07:01 PM
There is a metal mesh gasket that seats there. yours may have worn out.

wally
08-20-2013, 07:27 PM
Cool, thanx! I will have a look over the weekend. Crash, hope it is only gasket and hope HD has in stock, otherwise 3 week to order from States...

wally
08-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Double posting.... [mad]

wolfo68
08-20-2013, 07:51 PM
HD should have it, they're used in all the sportys too

Internet Annoyance
08-20-2013, 08:15 PM
Dunno where you are at but MOST dealrs stock them, a bimetallic and fiber asbestos type gasket. cheap usually for about $4.00 each but id have to look it up to see. Not a bad thing to have sitting on the shelf anyway as if you need to work on the bike you never reuse the old ones. Anyone with these bikes should consider stocking basic service items and buy ahead of time. Filters, gaskets, and basic consumables,
check for loose or stripped or broken exhaust studs, common on XBs and Sportsters, if damaged theres MANY threads on how to repair, but once leaking you should fix ASAP, a air leak into the exhaust at the port is like a flame thrower,, adding ambient oxygen vastly increases temps and can burn valves or other parts plus really damages the pipes.
On cars they use Air injection just past the exhaust ports on the pipes as a emissions control device to burn off unburnt fuels,

wally
08-21-2013, 07:57 AM
Thanx Internet!

It is actually where the headers slot into the top of the exhaust.
I had it a year or so ago - heard strange blowing sound while commuting to work. It sounded a lot like when a car's manifold is leaking. Checked and one nut on the front cylinder header was gone!

Rode home in afternoon and by the time I got to HD to get replacements, the other one had dropped off as well.

PS - I am in Cape Town, South Africa. We are on the metric system, so finding anything with imperial thread or measurements is basically impossible! I have to get it from HD. :(

stellio78
08-21-2013, 09:15 AM
No gasket where headers slot into the exhaust just high temp silastic.

The gaskets your talking about are for where the headers fit to the engine.

wally
08-22-2013, 06:29 AM
Well, the exhaust issue showed itself right now on the way to work...

Heard loads of popping and backfiriring then missfiring.
Finally it really started sounding like a Harley and i had to coast to a stop.

Turns out it is the back header!

Taking it in now...

wally
08-22-2013, 10:19 AM
Got the feedback already and it is not pretty!

The sensor on the rear header broke off. [mad]
My mechanic dude does not want to tackle the job of getting the headers off.

So, my riding is gone this weekend and guess what I will be doing... :p

Do the same things apply getting the headers off by dropping the rear suspension on the Uly?

djohnk
08-26-2013, 05:11 PM
Are you going to rotate the engine down? If so its a good time to change the spark plugs.

wally
08-26-2013, 07:24 PM
Hi djohnk, I recently replaced plug leads (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Ulysses-XB12x/Troubleshooting/Replacing-spark-plug-boot-and-wires) and plugs along with it.

I went the route of no engine rotation, which worked pretty well (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Ulysses-XB12x/Troubleshooting/How-stuffed-am-I)! [up]

Don't think I have the energy for an engine rotation...