PDA

View Full Version : ****!!! I crossed threads!!!

brightbuell
08-21-2013, 05:40 AM
I was changing my spark plugs for the second time and i ****ed up my front head!!! I know i need to get a kit to fix it can you guys get me links from some other good related stories to stripped plug holes on here? I cant get the search to work for ****.

Thanks in advance!!

fishxb12
08-21-2013, 07:03 AM
Found this, that really sux man. Good luck with the repair.
http://www.timesert.com/html/sparkplug.html

Enemy Zero
08-21-2013, 12:36 PM
I had this happen a week ago as I was putting the Race Pipe on my bike. Turns out the original owner must have stripped out the hole for the oil send line from the swingarm and decided to fill it with JB Weld and stick it in there. Didn't realize what had happened right away when it popped out on me.

Ended up having to drill, tap and put a heli-coil in the swingarm. Works great and I've got much more peace of mind. That timesert link looks like it'll do the trick for fixing it. It's much easier than it looks, just make sure you have some kind of Vac going to get the metal shavings as you're drilling and tapping.

Zeroflat24
08-21-2013, 12:54 PM
My suggestion is to go to a harbor freight and get yourself a thread chaser for spark plugs. They make one that does 02 sensors also. They are the same thread pitch so either will work.

frankxb12r
08-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Timesert all the way down!!!!

brightbuell
08-22-2013, 07:28 PM
My girl did a ton of research and the brand TIME keeps coming up as the best but i hear that a lot of people say you really should remove the whole head do to shavings? The kit says you can vac them out, thats what i hear!! I have a shop vac but i don't have a tube that small i could make something creative. My question is is it really possible to get all the shavings out??? Of if a few pieces are left do they shoot out the exhaust??? I have built tons of racing mopeds and i know a tiny piece of shrap can tear the **** out of your piston and cylinder. At the same time it it cant get passed the ring it will shoot into the header then down into the can.

I'M SCARED!!!!!!!! LOL!!

wolfo68
08-22-2013, 07:45 PM
Personally if there is any chance of metal getting down inside the jug with the piston I would take the head off. It isn't something I'd want to risk damaging if I could just spend some extra time and avoid the risk.

brightbuell
08-22-2013, 07:46 PM
I just sent an enquiry to them to get the correct size.

frankxb12r
08-22-2013, 11:13 PM
If you do exactly what is stated, you´ll get no problems at all..I did on my firebolt two years ago and no problem at all and no need to get the whole head out.....all the shavings will be out if you use the timesert tool correctly....100% guaranteed!!!

ANIMOSITY
08-23-2013, 02:00 AM
Years back I did one on an M2 for someone. What I did was just use a tap and chase the threads. But I dipped the tap in bearing grease first. The grease caught all the shavings.

Also when I installed a vortech on my cobra you have to drill a hole in the oil pan for an oil return line, and then tap it. In the manual it says to coat the tap in grease when you do it, that way you don't have to drop the oil pan.
Hope you figure it out Bro!

brightbuell
08-23-2013, 06:15 AM
Do you have to rotate the motor in order to do this TIME Insert? PLEASE only answer this if you know 100% don't guess!!

Thanks for all your help guys your all a huge help i love this place.

brightbuell
08-25-2013, 03:19 AM
Nobody knows?? How about this HAS ANYONE EVER USED A TIME INSET KIT ON A BUELL XB (WITH OUT) ROTATING THE MOTOR?

frankxb12r
08-28-2013, 11:28 PM
You must rotate the engine...there´s no other way to do this repair with timesert whiteout rotating!!!!