PDA

View Full Version : Probably a FAQ Exhaust?

MnBueller
08-22-2013, 09:30 PM
Brand new and happy Uly owner here. Thanks, I love it so far.
I know this has been asked before but I am as of right now brand new to this forum so please help.
It seems from the limited research I've done so far the Beull race can is the one to install for power and more importantly to make my bike sound less like a sewing machine but not like every obnoxious piped Harley in the world. True? And if so, is there any way to find one that won't cost me a couple of limbs? Thanks?

theoctopus
08-22-2013, 09:47 PM
You have many non-race options. Dean from Keda Design builds excellent exhausts, and is a sponsor on this board. You also have GB, D&D, Jardine (if you're cheap and unwise), and more as other potential aftermarket options. Then there are the modded stock cans: Spec OPS (please don't), Drummer, Hawk (another forum sponsor).

I would probably go with Keda or GB if it were me.

Sirius815
08-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Hey Octo - not sure exactly why you're saying please don't for the Spec OPS exhaust - I know he is very difficult to get a hold of and it will take many many many months to get your exhaust, but overall, the exhaust sounds very nice. (I have one). If there's a used one out there, it wouldn't be a bad choice IMO unless there's something else you know of.

Oh and Keda's looks sweet!

Ben K.

MnBueller
08-22-2013, 10:35 PM
Hey guys. Good stuff so far, and I've already learned a thing or two. I am concerned about noise level though, and listening on the video clips really gives me no idea how loud these systems are. I like what I see from Keda and GB, but how do they compare with others as far as sound level? And I do like the mellower rumble rather than the raspy sound.

theoctopus
08-22-2013, 10:43 PM
Hey Octo - not sure exactly why you're saying please don't for the Spec OPS exhaust - I know he is very difficult to get a hold of and it will take many many many months to get your exhaust, but overall, the exhaust sounds very nice.Â* (I have one).Â* If there's a used one out there, it wouldn't be a bad choice IMO unless there's something else you know of.

No, not at all. Odie's stuff is great quality. It's just a total nightmare getting him to fulfill orders. I think it's totally unconscionable that he takes payment, then disappears without communication for north of 6 months. No product justifies that kind of behavior.

d_adams
08-22-2013, 11:54 PM
My worst ever delay on time was 9-10 weeks, my cut-off is 6 weeks now. If I can't build and ship what you order within that time, I will not take the order. I am currently cleared on all orders, so it will take maybe a week or so to build pretty much anything except for a full system.

The xb systems are fairly mild sounding to me in comparison to my 1125, which has a full hand built system on it now and is IN YOUR FACE loud. Yeah, that loud, the only pipe I know for sure that's louder for an 1125 is a d&d and it makes on average 10-12 hp LESS than mine. I have no idea what the db level is at full tilt, but it's pretty loud, especially up around 10k rpm or so. I wear ear plugs everywhere I ride.

All the xb systems I make have a pretty good rumble to them.

Sirius815
08-23-2013, 12:43 AM
I listened to your xb-rt1 video earlier [up][up] Possibly the only exhaust I'd trade my Spec-Ops for :)

anrkizm95
08-23-2013, 12:46 AM
all the pipes are pretty much the same as far as performance goes.the only real difference is price,sound and looks.i have over 20k miles on my d&d the race pipe and deans also sound and look good.all 3 of these are pricey though.you'll always get claims of higher or lower hp numbers from some due different dynos or lack of tuning

Enemy Zero
08-23-2013, 01:49 AM
Don't get the Jardine unless you like face shaking, eardrum shattering, brain bleeding loud.

I know some people like it but I got tired of having to wear earplugs if I was within 100 feet of it (even when the motor was off) for fear of losing any more of my hearing.

MnBueller
08-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the noise info guys, that's what I need. Dean, have you developed any kind of brackets for the chin fairing yet? I do like the look of your systems, but I will be mounting the fairing as I like the way it looks on the bike.

d_adams
08-23-2013, 11:39 AM
http://www.buellxb.com/Buells-for-Sale/Buell-Parts-for-Sale/Buell-Aftermarket-Parts/Chin-fairing-brackets

I'm having the next run done without powdercoating, too many have asked for it without. I don't know what the price will be on them without it yet. I can have them done individually or just do paint or ceramic on them here.

MnBueller
08-24-2013, 08:19 PM
Thanks Dean. Of course I asked before checking your site again, so oops.
It looks like yours is a real contender, although the price is a little stiff for a slip-on. Especially if I have to drop another $100 for the bracket. I'll ponder that awhile as I continue my research.

Any other suggestions from the others? The only one I think I've eliminated for sure is the Jardine. Probably too loud and too many comments on poor quality here.

theoctopus
08-24-2013, 08:41 PM
although the price is a little stiff for a slip-on.

Quality costs money. That's why both the Keda and the GB are not cheap, but have virtually 100% satisfaction.

I had a GB exhaust when I still had a Buell. I loved it. The exhaust note and performance was exactly what I was looking for. That was before the Keda units were available, so I cannot compare the two other than the many glowing reviews Dean's products have received.

MnBueller
08-28-2013, 11:41 PM
Fair point octopus, and one I often make myself. So it's funny seeing it thrown back at me! I do like the way it looks and sounds too. One last question for here Dean; which of the two you still make for the XB would you say is loudest?

d_adams
08-29-2013, 12:15 AM
I still do the RT-XB-1 and 2. The xb-1 is completely hand made from 304 ss. I make it in 2 versions, one is repackable, the other is fully welded.

The xb-2 is the modded magnaflow can, the can itself is made of 409 and 436 ss, which is designed/intended to get surface rust. Sure, you can scrub it with ss wool or whatever, but it will not polish anywhere near as nice as 304. Personally I recommend coating it. The remainder of it is all 304 ss since that's all I ever really work with anyway.

Sound between all 3 versions is essentially identical. It's weird, but they're so close it's hard to tell the differences between them. If I had to take a stab at it, the xb-1 repack version is probably the loudest, but it's only by a tiny margin.

Performance is pretty close for them all from the testing I've done. This applies to both 9's and 12's. Minimum gains to this point have been no less than 10% over stock or 9 hp on a xb12. I've seen as much as 11-12 on xb9's from the base of 74-75 hp stock. Mine is currently sitting at either 83 or 84 hp at the wheel, but it's going to be torn down soon, the output shaft from the trans is making noises and I suspect a bad couple of bearings there.

Shawns
08-29-2013, 02:53 AM
I have the Keda I want to say its the rolling thunder. My bike came with it. Sweet as hell......also loud as hell. No one can say they didn't hear me when they ran me over...

Pjf53
05-14-2016, 12:15 PM
I put a D&D system on my bike with EBR ECM. I like it because it is solid steel and you can jack up the bike under this pipe and it can also serve as a skid plate if necessary. As far as power, sound, gas mileage, etc., I have absolutely no complaints. Very nice system.