PDA

View Full Version : Ducati Monster vs. Buell XB Lightning

buellxb
11-13-2006, 03:12 PM
What does everyone think about the Ducati Monster. When I was shopping for a new bike I considered a Ducati Monster 695. They look nice, but I heard they are a maintenance nightmare. Comments...

BuellPartsGuy
11-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Heard the same about the maintenence. Plus parts have a price like they were dipped in platinum

azsnow
11-13-2006, 06:23 PM
A Tech at Hacienda had a Ducati 998, and he loves it. Faster than a Buell as well, but maint costs are expensive for sure!

buellxb
11-13-2006, 08:29 PM
I also have heard that the Buell handles better than a Ducati, unless you get the long version and then they are almost even. The short wheelbase, center mounted exhaust, and fuel in frame has to make the Buell handle a lot better than a Ducati. :D

paperclip
11-14-2006, 08:26 PM
I am not sure about the handling. People judge handling very differently depending on their riding abilities.

Buells are good, so are ducatis. Ducatis are pricey to maintain as stated before.

matchbox20fan3
11-14-2006, 10:58 PM
The price on parts definately are high as the sky.lol.

Apexlocator
11-27-2006, 03:18 PM
I own a Ducati 748 and rode it right after my test ride on the XB12R. I love them both, but my Duc handles better (for me) and is much faster. The riding position of the XB is superior and it has much more "charm" with the pushrod engine. The maintainence issue is just one more reason to buy a Buell for racking up the miles while the Ducati stays in the garage. You need to spend big $$$ every 6 thousand miles.....ouch!

I have spent 8-9 HUNDRED every 6K miles on any Ducati I ever owned. The valve adjustment is just the beginning....there's always a diddy here and there, like brake pads, a cable here or there and a nut or two which brings your bill up to near a thousand dollars every 6K miles. Is it worth it? In a word, yes.

;)

sleepwalkbuddha
12-31-2006, 12:08 AM
Hi, I realize my reply is quite late, but my experience in this is quite valid for consideration. I sold my 750 Monster because it was nothing but problems. I loved riding the bike, but it had to go. I found I had sunk 1700 dollars into it's maintenance in 3 months. So I sold it and bought the Buell XB9SX. The City X is not quite as light and nimble as the Ducati, but otherwise I've never looked back nor regretted my change. I love my Buell. I've had no problems with it. I ride it hard in daily Seattle rain. It runs powerfully, smoothe and fast in horrid heat on long distance. I can only say Italian bikes are sexy. But the Buell is sexy, not as common on the street, and they actually function!

AlansHouse
01-05-2007, 09:15 PM
I bought a Buell... But I would not mind having an S4R in my stable.

Swordsman
01-17-2007, 02:25 PM
I like Ducatis, but I don't think I'll ever own one because of the maintenence. And out of the Ducatis, the Monster would be last on my list. Just does nothing for me. And I really hate trellis frames... looks like a patio deck with wheels. ;)

~SM

crashbuell
06-15-2007, 02:48 PM
Well, with H/D and Ducati in talks of a merger, maybe they can build a Ducati that isn't so maintanance-intensive. I understand that it's a Ducati and exotic and all, but a grand every 5-6K?!?!? Sheesh, no wonder only well-to-do folks ride 'em. Give me my Cyclone with the tractor engine in it. Low on tech, high on torque. Giddyup!!!!!!:D

BadS1
06-15-2007, 07:22 PM
Theres no merger. This crap comes up every year for the last 4 years at about this same time. This is getting old.

midlifecrisis
06-18-2007, 03:03 AM
A Desmosedicci would be great, I mean who wouldn't want a street legal Moto GP bike in their garage. But again, I ride my Buell on real roads and I don't think anything comes close. Maintanence is almost non existant with my XB (theoretically anyhow) A 50 year old engine has basically all bugs removed. Thrash the beast and still get 50MPG. I forget where I saw it (I'll post a site when I find it again) but a European Mag did a shootout between 50 bikes and the XB came out on top.