PDA

View Full Version : 02 buell blast won't start

gary02buell blast
08-25-2013, 09:19 PM
Im a new rider. Just got the 02 buell blast 2 days ago. Everything was fine. Now when I try to start it, it was clicking. Now it won't make a sound. Checked battery now I'm lost. Like I said new rider. Can anyone give me some advice

gary02buell blast
08-25-2013, 09:45 PM
I tried to jump it off with I running car. Hope I didn't make anything worse

arikam
08-25-2013, 10:25 PM
Where are you? Maybe someone in your location could come look at it. If you're in south alabama ill come help you. If you have a volt meter see what the battery voltage is while attempting to crank. Should be between 9.6 and 12.5 volts. Check it at the battery posts, then at the cable itself. Maybe its a bad connection there. Make sure it's in Neutral. If all that checks out then gently tap on the starter while trying to start it with a hard rubber hammer. If it cranks only after tapping it then it's a bad connection at the starter or bad starter.

gary02buell blast
08-25-2013, 11:56 PM
I'm in arkansas. Is the starter by my filter? My first bike dnt knw any riders. Dnt knw where to find help

gary02buell blast
08-25-2013, 11:58 PM
I'm in arkansas. Is the starter by my filter? My first bike dnt knw any riders. Dnt knw where to find help

arikam
08-26-2013, 04:22 AM
I think the starter is behind the engine, about half way up. You could follow the positive wire down to the starter to verify its location.

gary02buell blast
08-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Ok. I will check on that today.

jetlee
08-26-2013, 02:42 PM
Your battery is dead.

Do not jump your motorcycle off a car, only other motorcycles. I've fried several voltage regulators that way before someone told me.

Your starter should be fine, they're almost bulletproof (literally). Regardless, it's the sideways cylindrical object behind your airbox on top of the transmission. Don't mess with it.

Take you battery to AutoZone or O'Reilly's and have them test/charge it for you.

Where in Arkansas are you? I spent 8 years in the Rogers/Bentonville area, now I'm in Cali. I still have friends there that could give you a hand.

gary02buell blast
08-26-2013, 05:21 PM
I live in sherwood. About 10 minutes from little rock. My battery? But my lights and horn still work.

jetlee
08-26-2013, 08:11 PM
Lights and horn draw very very little amperage, I believe they're fused for 10A. Your starter on the other hand is trying to pull somewhere around 100A.

If you have dead cells, you can provide voltage/power for the low amp stuff but be unable to start.

You need to have your battery load-tested. Any auto parts shop usually does it for free.

All my buddies are in NWA, sorry.

gary02buell blast
08-30-2013, 06:16 AM
Ok thanks. I got a new battery. Now its doing it agsin. Any other thoughts.

gary02buell blast
08-30-2013, 06:53 AM
It ran for a day. Now its clicking again.

Advanguard
08-31-2013, 02:38 AM
My 2 cents, from another noob
get a charger, charge the battery out of the bike
next day, turn charger off, use volt meter (home depot $5), check 12-14 v
install in bike, before turning anthing on, voltage should read the same, if not short on bike or corrosion.
turn key on, should read at least 12 v
if it starts, read voltage over 12v closer to 14 your good, allow it to idle, check it every min. ensure voltage is not dropping,
if voltage dropping, rev the engine and watch meter does it rise or continue to drop? (possible 2 person thing)
>>expert throw you advice here<< (I dont know all the techie stuff on a blast)

ztied
08-31-2013, 01:09 PM
could also be a bad siliniod?

jetlee
09-01-2013, 05:18 AM
I don't think it's a solenoid or relay.

It sounds like it's your stator is not charging. Unplug the stator from the Voltage Regulator. Check each pins' (on stator-side of the plug) continuity to ground, there should be none at all. Check continuity between the two pins and compare to the specs in the Factory Service Manual.

If the stator checks out ok...check the voltage regulator per the FSM instructions.