PDA

View Full Version : Cluctch problems. Help!

schenk2o0o
02-16-2009, 04:16 PM
So my shift lever broke off on my 03 xb9r. Took off the primary housing and had to drill out and re-tap the hole.

I put everything back together and come to find out my clutch is not grabbing now. All that was taken off it the primary housing and covers, and the clutch lockplate, spring, and adjusting screw.

Is there a trick to the adjusting screw or am I screwed? Followed the service manual, and I might just be missing something there and will try everything again. I was just wondering if there is anyone else out there that had this problem.

Stevenc150
02-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Does your clutch lever have tension on it or does it have an excessive amount of freeplay before pulling the cable? If it feels normal I'm guessing you need to adjust the screw inside the primary cover.

If it's got a lot of freeplay, adjust the clutch cable adjuster.

Was the clutch working after you broke the shifter off before you took the primary off? Hopefully it's nothing serious.

schenk2o0o
02-16-2009, 05:58 PM
After I put it together it has tension on it, I pull the handle and it feels the same as before. Just when I rolled the bike to see if the clutch catching it doesnt. I think I need to adjust the screw. I feel I understand what needs to happen. I am going to losing the cable and start fresh. If I cant figure it out I will jump back on here again.

I was able to use the clutch after the shifter bolt snapped, I was just stuck in 3rd gear. Luckily I was only a block away and didnt need to stop and go a bunch. Just coasted on it lol.

Thanks

Trill
02-16-2009, 06:56 PM
This may be a dumb question but did you lose any fluid from the primary?

Stevenc150
02-16-2009, 07:10 PM
This may be a dumb question but did you lose any fluid from the primary?

schenk2o0o: Took off the primary housing and had to drill out and re-tap the hole.
I'm betting he lost all of it. :D

Buellysses
02-16-2009, 08:26 PM
I think you are right on with loosening the adjuster screw under the little black cover. If you tighten it too much you clutch won't engage.

Just out of curiosity, how did the shifter break off? Is it possible something else got broken inside, not allowing you to put it to go in gear?

schenk2o0o
02-17-2009, 11:34 AM
Alrighty here we go...

After taking off the primary housing, all of the fluid had to be drained prior to doing so.

The shifter broke off at the bolt that holds the lever on. The bolt actually snapped off, and half of it was still inside. There for I had to drill out the original and retap the hole and used a Re-Nu thread insert. It worked out great. Compound angles suck, but good thing we have a 5 ax-s mazak at work =].

Now lets start from the beginning...
Shifter broke off on the way to work. Ending up riding in 3rd gear home. Clutch was working just fine still.

I then took off the primary housing, took off clutch release mechanism, and disconnected the cable. Had to do this to get the whole casing off to get it to work. After the hole was fixed, took it home. Reattached the clutch cable. Then put the casing on with a new gasket. I then reassembled the clutch release and attached the cable end to it.

From here I figured I would change the engine oil. Used Screamin' Eagle® SYN3® Synthetic Motorcycle Lubricant, SAE 20W50
99824-03/00QT $11.49

Screamin' Eagle® SYN3® Synthetic Motorcycle Lubricant, SAE 20W50
TESTED-CERTIFIED for use in engine, primary chaincase and transmission applications.

The dealer told me that I should and can use that oil in the chaincase. I was weary at first but even the buell website said it was ok. The above is what was online. So I changed the oil in both, and then changed the spark plugs.

Now I filled up the case and then put on the inspection covers. I now wanted to check to see if the clutch was working correctly. I had the bike in neutral, so I kicked it down to first. Rolled the bike back and forth without the clutch lever pulled in and the bike was in gear. Yay. My clutch is grabbing =]

Next I pulled in the clutch lever and rolled the bike back and forth again, and it was still in gear. So there for the clutch is engaged. It just did not dis-engage after pulling the lever. Ok so now I my clutch is engaged and will not dis-engage. I know the clutch is fine its just me putting everything back together. This is my first street bike, just learning at a careful speed if you know what I mean.

O but not careful enough apprently, the small spring that sits on the lock plate which buts up to the primary cover went missing me...yahoo. So now I have to order a new one of those.

Also everyone says not to use the oil I used in the primary casing? Why would the the the parts guys, service guys and even a mechanic say I can use it? I choose to stick with the harley brand, I was told by the mechanic a couple other brands to use (bp, ams etc..) They all said I will be just fine with what I have, maybe the parts guys would stear me in the wrong direction, but I doubt the guys I know would.

So the bike has has not been out of the garage since last year. It has been a cold winter, I live in Michigan

Until then I am lost.

Trill
02-17-2009, 12:19 PM
There are plenty of good oils out there, they just want to sell you the 11$ stuff from Harley :) Don't feel bad I fell for it too and it works out just great.

Stevenc150
02-17-2009, 02:23 PM
At least it's nothing expensive. Glad you figured it out.

schenk2o0o
02-17-2009, 04:36 PM
I didnt figure it out...my clutch is now engaged all the time. When I shift to first (bike nto running) and rock the bike back in forth it is in gear. But when I pull the clutch lever, and then rock the bike back n forth...it is still in gear...the clutch is not dis-engaging.

Stevenc150
02-17-2009, 04:54 PM
...but not careful enough apprently, the small spring that sits on the lock plate which buts up to the primary cover went missing me...yahoo. So now I have to order a new one of those.
So the missing spring isn't the problem? [confused] After looking at the parts manual it looks as if it might be important.

schenk2o0o
02-19-2009, 04:26 PM
I dont know if the spring is the problem...still havent ordered it. I guess I didnt think it was that important, all I could think that spring might do is either hold the lock nut in place, or add some retract force to when you let the clutch lever out.

Anyone know what the main function of that part is for?

Would is really cause the clutch not to disengage?

Buellysses
02-19-2009, 06:55 PM
Well, I'm not an engineer so I can't guarantee the accuracy of this... but the purpose of the spring is to hold the lockplate in place and should not affect the ability of the clutch to disengage.

Does the clutch lever feel different then it does before? I have a feeling that it pulls in with very very little resistance and doesn't want to return.

(im referring to the 05 firebolt manual available from this site) If you look at section 6.3 it gives you a pretty good breakdown of the clutch assembly. Chances are you just don't have the adjusting screw adjusted correctly. Just make sure you follow the assembly instructions very carefully. There isn't a whole lot of travel in the clutch assembly, so a single turn of that adjustment screw can make a pretty big difference.

Good Luck

-Adam

(what part of MI are you from?)

Stevenc150
02-19-2009, 07:20 PM
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2339_20090219111447_L.jpg
Yeah, I'm not so sure either now. Never had mine apart so I'm going by the diagram also. At 2nd glance, I guess that (6 & 7) hold the clutch ramp together. Maybe all the spring does is hold the plate inside of the outer clutch ramp. Wonder what the purpose of the plate(12) is for?

Buellysses
02-19-2009, 08:45 PM
The plate (12) keeps the adjuster screw from turning.

Adjuster screw has flat sides that the plate slides over. (notice the oblong shape of the hole on 12)

Stevenc150
02-20-2009, 02:56 AM
Ahhh, I think it makes sense now. So without the spring holding (12) in, there's nothing to keep the screw adjuster from turning out of adjustment. Boy, I hope the clutch ramp didn't dump the 3 balls.

schenk2o0o
02-20-2009, 05:41 PM
Well I figured it out. Everything was fine. I lost that spring...I took apart the clutch relase and lost the spring in my garage.

The problem was the cold. My clutch plates were sticking. I said screw it and started the bike up and let it warm up. Put the front tire up against the wall and shifted to first. Presto...shifted into gear and then the clutch grabbed as I released the lever. Yay.

Now I gotta get the spring.

Thanks for all the help!