PDA

View Full Version : Minor carb gas leak turned into broke down gusher, ideas?

Sharris
08-29-2013, 09:37 PM
Just bought a 2002 blast with 4,600 miles. After a week of riding I noticed a small gas leak coming out of carb. Took it to a repair shop, guy told me he checked out carb, it looks good & has no problems. Got the bike back, noticed it still had the minor gas leak......within a week while on the freeway, BAM, bike breaks down & gas gushes out of carb.....looks like it's gushing out of every orifice (except no gas in air filter box). Would something as minor as a stuck floater (or gunk in it) make it gush that bad & bike won't start? Try turning it over & it just makes 1 quick loud clank noise, then nothing..........any advise or ideas on what's possibly causing it is appreciated........I'm a bike ignorant girl trying to educate myself to avoid further rip offs & hopefully learn to fix it myself. Thanks!

d_adams
08-29-2013, 10:00 PM
There's gotta be someone nearby that would be willing to help. Where are you located? There's Buellers everywhere.

Sharris
08-29-2013, 10:38 PM
I'm in Kalama, WA............. again, any helps appreciated........ even just ideas of what it possibly could be to help me troubleshoot...... worse case I'll need to take it in to a shop again (somewhere else than before).
I started researching about the bike & found this forum.....I'm having almost as much fun learning about it & tinkering with it as I am riding it, so I thought what the hell......I'll start a thread & see what happens :)

Shawns
08-29-2013, 11:03 PM
The cylinder that has the bad carb may be hydro locked. Pull the plug for that cylinder. It does sound like a stuck float. There has to be someone in your area to help you with it. These guys seem to have good reviews http://www.procaliberlongview.com/. They have CanAm and that is the same motor in the 1125's if I remember correctly. I hope this isn't the place you took it to originally. Hope this helps.

Sharris
08-29-2013, 11:28 PM
No I didn't take it there, but it's where I'll take it next..........I heard good things too. My uncle knows abit about bikes (he thinks it's a stuck float as well) & is going to try to help me this weekend, but if that doesn't work I'll try out Procaliber. Thanks for the tip (& idea of possible hydro locked cylinder)!

Shawns
08-30-2013, 03:02 AM
No worries fella, we all help if we can.

Cooter
08-30-2013, 05:03 AM
Sharris aint a fella.

I'm a bike ignorant girl

But ya, seems like a stuck float. Do enough searching and pulling off the carb, and removing the float bowl isn't that hard. Take pics of the progress we'll help!

Shawns
08-30-2013, 10:08 AM
Sorry no offense, I use fella as a generic term. Guy.. Girl... Dog..Cat... whatever.

Sharris
08-30-2013, 04:37 PM
No offense taken :) And thanks for the tips! Yeah, I did a little carb research, I think as long as I educate myself & learn what's what, I can start messin with it......learn by trial & error. If I need to take it to a shop, it's cool, I'm still learning alot. I've done a few things to it, Vance & Hines exhaust, flush-mounted turn signals, bar-end mirrors, painted most of it flat black (gonna murder it out), took off the plastic belt covers. Found out there's a decent amount that can be done to it for not much money, so got alot of plans. I'll take pics of the progress........stay tuned..........

djs2k2
08-30-2013, 05:06 PM
Everyone wants pics no matter what bike it is, we are all critics!:)

Sharris
08-31-2013, 01:02 AM
Took sum pics, but when I hit add photo it brings up a blank page......tried it on my computer at work & my iPad......no pop-up blockers on.....what's the deal?

Shawns
08-31-2013, 09:43 AM
Yeah I had problems too. Start a photobucket account. There free. You can just paste the link and we can get to them. Hope you find Buell friendly shop. I got lucky, a buddy that I work with's long time friend worked as a mechanic on Buell race team.