PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearings ...again?

2KWIK4U
02-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Hi all,
I am new to this forum and even though I have been riding a long time I bought my first Buell, a Ulysses, in 07 and have been loving it. This winter I decided to pull it apart and change the color but my dealer said you can't reuse the wheel bearings once they are removed. Is that true? I am a cert diesel mech so I have some experience but I have never heard of that.

I have also done a search and can't find a place to buy them reasonable. My dealer is charging $32.00 per bearing, not per set. That seems a bit high to me.

I like my dealer and I always thought they were treating me fair but now I'm not sure.

Any info would be helpful,
Thanks
Danny

LeFox
02-17-2009, 06:22 PM
price sounds about right, for original bearings.

it's a common rule not to re-use used bearing when taken out of the fitting. ;)

2KWIK4U
02-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the info, I thought with only about 2000 miles on it they should be ok but I guess since they can't be taken apart, cleaned, and repacked it's best to replace.

Thanks again

Danny

riding_tall
03-18-2009, 03:31 AM
A little late but ....

The price sounds about right. Can't be re-used because removing them destroys the bearing. because of the inner spacer they have to be removed by pulling on the inner race with a bind hole bearing puller or something like that.

they can be repacked .. if your careful. A small tool like a dental pick can be used to take the outer cover off so they can be re-packed but only a few times and you must be very careful when taking off the cover.

mine went out at about 6k but I think water was in the inner rear hub, when I put the new bearings in I drilled two small off-set weep holes in the rear hub.

ridendude
03-18-2009, 04:49 AM
If you don't want to pay the dealer price with markup, go to an industrial bearing supplier. Look in your phone book. The bearing for the front wheel is a NTN 6005 LU. For an upgrade, try SKF. Around here, they're around $20.
Good luck.

2KWIK4U
03-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks again for the info.

Danny