PDA

View Full Version : Fan issue?

eros14
09-03-2013, 12:11 AM
I have an 06 Uly and just recently changed the fluids (2-3wks ago). I noticed yesterday my fan did not kick on when I turned off bike. And now I can't remember the last time I heard the fan kick on. The bike is running good with no warning lights. Checked fuse it was good. Should I be worried. Is this an easy fix? Fan looks like in a really tight spot.

Thanks for any feedback

frankiefilth
09-03-2013, 04:35 AM
I would start with testing the fan.. [Since I don't have a meter] I did this on mine by jumping it straight to the battery to see if the fan would even kick on. The only way to access the fan is to remove the rear shock assembly.. It's a pretty easy job once the shock's out of the way.

Tbone
09-03-2013, 03:38 PM
Not sure of anything, but I do notice when I change my oil and/or the weather changes toward cooler, I very rarely hear my fan.

88b
09-03-2013, 06:25 PM
My 08 has to be kin hot for the fan to run under 10 mph or after it's switched off

user_deleted
09-03-2013, 10:25 PM
eros: my 07 uly fan rarely runs with right side scoop and synthetic oil. must be 80 degrees fahrenheit or warmer for the thing to even consider running. and then it's only at complete shut-down situations. if you have ecmspy run the fan test. the ecm completes the ground circuit only. the fan via fused circuit is always "hot". and as mentioned above you can pull the connector and test yourself if no ecmspy access. if you have no CEL warnings in all probability it is fine.

eros14
09-03-2013, 11:13 PM
Ran bike again today weather was high 80s. Got done and heard fan motor running. Pulled off seat and noticed fan was working. However it seemed really quiet compared to what it used to be. Does this model have two fan speeds also?

user_deleted
09-04-2013, 11:39 AM
Does this model have two fan speeds also?

yes

Tbone
09-04-2013, 02:19 PM
I notice on my 09 Uly that when I shut the key off while the engine is running, and if the fan stays on:
Then If I turn the key to turn the ignition on, the fan turns off. Then when I turn the key off, the fan turns back on High for a few seconds and then on Low.
Not sure if they all work this way, but I can definitely hear the difference between the high and low speeds of the fan.
I very rarely hear the fan on high, unless I cycle the ignition like described above. The PO used Mobil1, so that is what I continued so I can't compare without using a synthetic. The only thing I do different than the PO is I constantly use a fuel additive every tank as well as a breather reroute. I notice a difference especially in the heat during rush hour traffic commuting to and from work everyday in Dallas Tx. Also recently did an ECM relocate and it has also changed the sound of the fan as well as seemed to increase the air flow under the seat. Not sure if it helps the engine, but helps keep the rider cooler which is definitely beneficial?

user_deleted
09-04-2013, 07:50 PM
Then If I turn the key to turn the ignition on, the fan turns off. Then when I turn the key off, the fan turns back on High for a few seconds and then on Low.
Not sure if they all work this way, but I can definitely hear the difference between the high and low speeds of the fan.

yes tbone, they do.