PDA

View Full Version : Ulysses prospect ride height question

TBo
05-19-2007, 07:54 PM
Hi Folks:
I am very interested in a Uly and visited a dealer today for a closer look. I love the bike but the seat height is very uncomfortable to me. I used to ride dirt bikes with tall seats but I really want to feel more planted when I stop on the street. This was an Oct 06 build, which I assume was an 07 with the low seat. The pre-load was adjusted all the way down for the rear.
My question is if any one has made any mods to the suspension to lower the bike? I am not that concerned about ground clearance and would like to find a couple of inches if possible. Ideas?
Thanx.

2Evil4U
05-19-2007, 10:26 PM
I've heard of people lowering the bike, Not sure what would be required. Probably new springs. I'm 6' with a 32" inseam and I just never bother to put my right foot down at stoplights. It's no problem once I got used to it.

stevensue
05-20-2007, 01:19 AM
When I looked at an 06 last year the salesman said they could put the low seat on it and also put a shorter shock on it. I didn't ask what shock. But maybe one from the Lightning would work?
Steve

TBo
05-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Thanks. I am 5'7" with a 29" inseam and it is clear this bike is suited for those of you who are taller. It would seem that some of the other Buell models might have springs that could be used to acheive a lower seat height. The first dealer I talked to was nice but too busy to spend much time on a Buell prospect. I am looking for another in my area that might be more helpful, and maybe someone else on the board has some specific knowledge.
2Evil4U, do you ever ride 2 up, and how is that with only one foot down?

2Evil4U
05-20-2007, 05:10 PM
My wife and I ride on and off. (She's taking the MSF this weekend and now I have to buy her her own scoot.[up]) No real issues with the one foot. I can put both feet down, but just the ball of the foot, not flat. The bike balances well so it's really not much of a problem.

partmanpartbike64
01-17-2008, 01:41 PM
as the uly is so stable most of the time including two up it's not necessary to put a foot down at lights, junction with a little practise try 0.5mph & trail brake

dans03firebolt
01-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Also once you are 2 up and that passenger is on there it lowers the bike because of the extra weight so it makes it easier. I am on the balls of my feet on my Firebolt too but I don't mess with suspension I just deal with tip toes!!! You don't want to mess with suspension or the bike won't handle as well.

splash
01-24-2008, 01:31 PM
I have the same problem with height.
I am 5.11 and find it dangerously to high.
When going on and of curbes my feet are no where near the ground.
They offered me a lower seat but I do not know if this will solve the problem.
I have adjusted the shocks to my weight.
any other solutions?

2Evil4U
01-26-2008, 11:52 PM
Going on and off curbs, your feet ought to be on the pegs. If you can get one foot down flat with the other on the peg without leaning it over too badly the height is fine.

splash
01-29-2008, 12:14 PM
I mean situations that you have to stopo an have one wheel on sidewalk and the other on asphalt
I had them replace the seat and install a lower one free of charge.
The bike is much better and more secure.
Breaking in now but the power is there!

splash
01-30-2008, 01:00 PM
I mean the specific time when you have to stop and one wheel in in the sidewalk and the other on the road.
I had a lower seat installed free of charge by my dealer.much better ans safer.
just need a few more centimeters.
any sugestions.

DTokester
04-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Im 5'11" and the only problem I find with the seat height is coming down from a big stoppie. There is something you can do that is not factory recomended to lower the uly in the back. Put a xb12stt rear spring and lower the pre load on the schock and you will be lower. Ad a low pro-file seat and you are money

BuellPartsGuy
04-07-2008, 11:39 PM
Just buy a XB12XT, take the bags off and sell them. Problem solved.

BuellPastor
04-08-2008, 01:58 AM
I rode the XT in Daytona during Bike Week. The seat height is so much better now! I loved the bike. I'm 5'9 190 lbs 30" inseam. I want one.

keghead
07-18-2008, 09:27 AM
If the shock is just shorter on the XT, why not swap shocks? hmm?