PDA

View Full Version : tapping sound at all times

Doomstarter1
09-17-2013, 04:51 PM
I have a '02 Blast with a custom built intake, a (accidentally) blown out exhaust and a oil leak.

I did alot of riding the other day and just plain forgot to put oil in it. I knew it had a leak but I thought I had a bit more time. As I was pulling into a parking lot, my oil light came on and it started making this tapping sound. I had a car with an oil pump issue before and when I would take corners, the oil pressure would drop and it would make the same sound. I put oil in it and started it up again but sure enough, the sound was back and the oil light was still on. I put about 1.5 quarts in it as well.

The sound is coming from the top front part of the engine. It is present through all RPM ranges, even at idle. What could it be and what are the steps to fix it?

I have an automotive associates degree but I slept through most of it.

Internet Annoyance
09-17-2013, 07:42 PM
The cam followers or lifters in car parlance are hydraulic, thus dependant on oil pressure and pump up to the correct tolerances. It SOUNDS like a collapsed lifter or cam follower,, and its opened up the clearances between the pushrod and the rocker arm,

Tappity tap tap tap.

take the top end rocker box off, check for looseness, It will be obvious, and then if adventureass wrap rags around the area to catch the flinging oil and start it up for a few seconds to confirm, Some time with a mechanics stethescope (availible at harbor freight for about $3) will confirm the locations..

likely you damaged the bearings as well, mains and rod, perhaps the cams too... but they tolerate it longer,

you are dealing with the symptom not the illness. you might get away doing surgery and replacing the lifter and some gaskets,,,,,, and might get some more miles out of it, Or fix it right, tear it down crefully and replace any worn parts.

Sounds like you are kinda hard on machinery. [mad]

jetlee
09-18-2013, 02:50 PM
IA is right about the lifters not pumping up if there's no pressure. Our Blasts have hydraulic lifters that operate in the same fashion. If your light is still on, it could be that the pump is cavitating since it went dry or the pump drive gear is shredded.

Pull off your cam cover and check if you shredded your oil pump drive gear. If the drive gear is ok, get the bronze replacement anyway.

Doomstarter1
09-18-2013, 08:10 PM
The cam cover is the round plate below the push rods that has the pegasus on it right?

Internet Annoyance
09-18-2013, 08:28 PM
Correct, read the factory manual on removing it, be careful as you remove it. but i agree,, you need to look in there

jetlee
09-18-2013, 08:56 PM
You have to be careful when removing the cover so you don't pull the cams out.

Otherwise I'll be looking forward to a "How do I re-install my cams?" thread.

Internet Annoyance
09-18-2013, 09:00 PM
that is CORRECT![up]

Doomstarter1
09-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Where is a good place to pick up a PDF factory manual? I couldn't find any good links.

Doomstarter1
09-27-2013, 08:10 PM
Nevermind. I just found it. I came across a guy willing to part out his buell. Would it just be easier to pull the head off of his? What do I need to watch out for when I do this?

Tbone
09-27-2013, 08:16 PM
Prolly too late now, but whenever I see low oil n suspect a leak, do not have time or money to fix it, I use Lucas stop leak oil additive in any engine temporarily. Car, motorcycle, riding mower, edger, scooter, etc. I say temporarily but my wife 's 2002 Honda accord gets a quart of the stuff every year for the last 2/3/4 years. Works really well if it's a gasket or O ring, but if it is a seal, like front or rear main it usually only slows it down and delays the inevitable. I am not a rep. and not getting paid for this advertisement, I am just a knucklehead and I approve this message.
Like IA said above, be nicer to your equipment, unless it gives you an excuse to trick it out then it's ok, everything is relative.
I support blowing up stuff if there is some plan or upper cortex processing involved, like dropping a 1203 motor in there and calling the bike a bigger a55 blast, or something cool, I highly encourage that. Ride on, be safe and peace out.....

Doomstarter1
10-13-2013, 06:22 AM
Thanks everyone. After some thought I have decided to just take it to a shop. This bike has between nothing but a pain since I got it and with it's current track record I would rather have a shop mess it up than for me to. Y'all have been really helpful..