PDA

View Full Version : Battery Upgarde YTX20A-BS

honda paul
09-19-2013, 03:07 PM
Have been reading this forum for a while but this is my first post.
Searched through various posts about batteries for the Uly including one about fitting a 20amp unit which did involve heavy modifications to the battery carrier, as it was 175mm wide, and the seat but upon looking at actual battery sizes on the MDS site I came across the YTX20A-BS battery.

The battery is the same width (150) and thickness (88) as the YTX14H-B that I found was recommended for the Uly but is 16mm taller at 161mm (standard is 145mm) which has a rating of 17ah and CCA 270 and the positive is on the LEFT (as several mods i read about had the positive on the right).

I received the battery (CCA300 printed on it!) put in the gel and gave it an overnight charge. The instructions said that if the battery was to be used on its side then it had to stand upright for at least 24 hours before fitting so the gel could "set".

If you check out my picture you will see that I only had to remove the slight lip at the top of the carrier, bend down the rubber strap retainer and trim 5mm of the end plate for clearance and the battery sat in there a treat

The seat was modified by removing the the "baffle" between the middle mounting point. I just cut down next to the locating lugs and used a pair of pliers to bend/ break off and trimmed up with a Stanly knife - 5 min job...

The seat fitted straight back on and there was no need for any pressure to unlock with the key and with sign of any initial contact.

The bike fired up like it was on steroids, no dimming of instruments..... no resetting clock....... Loverly

Took the bike out for a 60 mile initial trip and checked under the seat and NO sign of any contact with the battery... Well pleased.

One downside... the YTX14H-BS weighs 4.8Kg and the YTX20A-BS is 6Kg.... But as I weigh "too much" kilogram for me its not a problem :)

anrkizm95
09-19-2013, 03:14 PM
welcome to buellxb thanks for the info