PDA

View Full Version : Hesitation

Thaloc
02-23-2009, 05:44 PM
So I tur the key to "on" wait for the VTwin light to go off, and hold the start button down, and my bike starts to turn over, hesitates, then turns over and starts. It never did this all spring/summer and at first I thought it was a loose battery connection from when the old guy knocked my bike over. But iv had a trickle charger on there over the winter and made sure the connecters are tightened down and it still does this. Is it because im running 20w-50 and its still cold as hell out? Thats the only thing I can think of. Anyone else experience this?

LeFox
02-23-2009, 06:12 PM
got it too...most of the people i know have that problem.

maybe you're lucky you didn't have it before 'dead end point' (?) when starting.

has nothing to do with the oil, though.

Thaloc
02-23-2009, 06:13 PM
Sweet(I guess), Thanks LeFox!

ophawk
02-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Does it do like 1/2 a revolution, then start fine?

Mine had been doing this and I figured out that it was the starter switch/button. I just make sure that I push the whole rocker in now as the lever point doesn't put enough pressure on the contacts in the switch itself.

Thaloc
02-23-2009, 09:20 PM
Ya thats it OPhawk. Ill give that a shot next time I start up.

dave_xb12r
02-23-2009, 09:59 PM
Mine does it too every once in a while. I just figured it was a compression thing. Like if the motor stops and the piston is at half stroke, so when you go to start it, the starter has to push the piston while it's in the compression area. That would make sense.

kajer
02-23-2009, 11:40 PM
just like dave_xb12r said, I had it happen very occasionally, figured it was just pushing against that compression stroke.

Thaloc
02-24-2009, 12:14 AM
Happens every start for me, I tried OPHawks method and it didnt work

dave_xb12r
02-24-2009, 12:18 AM
Well, when it's colder, air is more dense, making compression higher. Maybe its been happening more for you because its just colder there

GatorBuell
02-24-2009, 12:55 AM
Mine does it every time, my battery is A O.K. according to VDSTS. I know that the higher compression ratio a motor is the harder it is to start especially a FI motor. It also has a lot to do with the strength of the starter motor.

maybebuell
02-24-2009, 12:57 AM
very common on the starters harley uses...weather cool.....compression stroke..battery..starter clutch is uaually 45 pounds pressure when it starts to kick out.... the starter slows down....its best to take your finger off the starter button when that happens ..then try again instead of holding button down and heating up the starter and wireing

1001yos
02-24-2009, 01:11 AM
Try warming up your battery before you try starting the bike. The cold reduces the activity of the electrolyte and thus reducing the CCA (cold cranking amps)