PDA

View Full Version : ok. Bike Wins. Little help

NascarGuy
10-10-2013, 12:29 AM
Well I bought an '03 Blast knowing it had issues with starting. I had seen the bike just a few weeks before and had taken it for a test ride so figured how bad could it be. Enough said...!!

So here I am now totally miffed on what could be wrong with the Blaster.

Here is what I have some so far and the outcome of my efforts.

Swapped out the gas for some high test by draining the tank and carb... no difference

Checked for spark... got plenty

Checked and set timing using the static method... no difference

Totally disassembled the carb and gave it a good bath. Sprayed out all the jet holes and reassembled... no difference

Replaced the jets with the renowned 45/175 combination... no difference

Replaced the enrichener...no difference

Drilled the mixture plug out, took out and cleaned, then replaced making sure I had all pieces in right then set at 2 1/2 turns back from bottom...no difference.

Checked the Das Boot(OEM) for leaks and cracks then with carb installed checked vacuum; got plenty....no difference.

Tried starting the bike with the gas cap off... no difference

Some things I did notice:
I am getting about voltage at the enrichener plug but with the cap and guts removed I am not seeing any movement on the enrichener plunger. I didnt on the old one either; that is why I replaced to begin with.

The bike does sputter and fart while trying to start but never gets up enough momentum to get itself running.

I know there are many Blaster gurus on here so figure I would hope to get some insight on this stubborn beast. I have been around bikes many many years, even rebuilt a few and never had this much fun.

Theycallmecrash
10-10-2013, 02:15 AM
Clogged petcock? Is the fuel even turned on?Float improperly adjusted?
This is assuming you have fuel related issues. Have you verified that is the case by artificially fueling the carb with starting fluid or better raw fuel sprayed directly into the carb? Does this improve performance?
Edit: wait so it starts?!? And it runs, ridable?!

My girl had issues starting her blast all the time, and started easy for me. Finally realized it was her method to starting it not the bike. She would twist throttle repeatedly while cranking and this made it sputter. I simply give it a pump close throttle crank and it fires right up

jetlee
10-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Two important details are missing.

1. Does it start at all? If so, is it rideable?
2. Have you done a compression test?

Crash has a good suggestion to use starter fluid. If it starts on the fluid, you have a fuel issue; if not, you have a spark issue.

ztied
10-10-2013, 09:05 PM
Yes but spray the carb fluid in the intake without the carb on,if it starts then check the carb and fuel system,even though you have spark try it with a new spark plug.a fowled plug will still spark but not run.

jetlee
10-10-2013, 09:18 PM
spray the carb fluid in the intake without the carb on
NO!
The Blast will shoot a fireball out the intake manifold if you attempt to start it this way. That fireball will get your hand and ignite any flammable fluids associated.