PDA

View Full Version : Abnormal Idle Issue on XB12XT

ekc3
10-16-2013, 03:43 AM
Just bought a well taken care of 2008 Ulysses XT with 13,700 miles.

However I observed the following idle issue on a pre-buy test ride.
* Starts cold and goes into warm idle mode at 1400 in neutral with both the Clutch in and Clutch out
* Let it warm up and test drove for 5 min,

When I got back from test ride, in neutral again with clutch in it idles at 1100 as expected.
However, when I let the clutch out the idle raises to 1900.

After doing a TPS reset with both the bike cold and then again hot, it yielded the same results.

Called a regional dealer that hung with Buells to the end. A couple techs in the service department are still riding them (as well as couple guys in the sales end ) They didn't remember seeing this before and suggested to bring it in for diagnostics.

If the intake seal was bad, it shouldn't make a difference whether the clutch was in or out.

Before I take it in to the dealer, has anyone else run into a similar issue that they found a solution for this.

oisterska
10-16-2013, 03:50 AM
I had a starting issue and a running issue that was caused by a cracked ecm. Look at the grey connector for the ecm under the seat. Check very carefully for cracks, as the seat pushes down the connector and causes a crack in the ecm housing where I believe moisture was causing the issue for me. I have videos of the starting issue, I can post later from my computer.

ekc3
10-17-2013, 02:54 AM
Thx

May have found the issue on badweatherbikers...

"The 2008-up XB's raise the idle speed if they detect that the bike is in gear and the clutch is released. Apparently the idea behind this is to limit engine braking under deceleration. I had a related issue where my idle would stay high when the clutch was pulled in. My problem turned out to be a dirty/sticky switch at the clutch handle.

Is your neutral light coming on when the bike is in neutral? It sounds as if the ECM is not detecting that the bike is in neutral which is "fooling" it into increasing the idle when the clutch is let out."

The neutal light was indeed out... I'll be trying to resolve that to see if it goes away...