PDA

View Full Version : *PoP* then stall: ECM Cable & Software S.F. Bay Area??

aeonick
10-16-2013, 10:35 PM
Hey eveyone!!! Recently purchased an '06 Ulysses and am loving it. Have owned 1982 CB900 custom, 2005 Sportster 1200 and a '93 cbr F2 and this is by far the best of all worlds... I like to think anyway :)

In any case, I think I need to do a
TPS reset - bike started popping/backfiring on my way home last weekend. So much so it started loosing power and eventually stalled out. I let her sit for 10 min and it fired back up and road another 10 miles without issue then same thing again. I checked plugs connections(changed out plugs a few hundred miles ago), oil, air filter, temp gauge under air cover.... I limped home and took her out again let her sit for a week and yesterday road about 10 miles without issue then AGAIN pop pop stall.... Sat for a minute starte back up and road home. Hmm.

Am I right in first considering a TPS reset? And does anyone have a cable and software in the Bay Area I live in San Rafael. Thx guys.

anrkizm95
10-17-2013, 09:30 PM
welcome to the forum.have you checked for codes?

go cytocis
10-17-2013, 09:52 PM
Am I right in first considering a TPS reset?
Welcome!
The intermittent nature of your problem doesn't suggest a TPS reset will fix it. It may be more temperature-related.
Does the popping & backfiring happen at small throttle openings, then diminish as it's opened wider? A TPS that's out of adjustment will be most apparent at closed & off-idle positions. Regardless, a TPS reset can't hurt as a first diagnostic step.

aeonick
10-18-2013, 11:48 PM
Thabks for the warm welcome guys, I have yet to check for any codes... Is that done via the same cable for the TPS reset?

When I first noticed the poping and subsqeunt power loss it seemed to increase with a wider open throttle. But as I continued to ride it again would eventually sputter and die any way... So maybe replace the temp sensor under the airbox if a reset doesn't solve it? Fyi it looks as tho the previous owner cut open the air box on the sides....

duc907rdr
10-20-2013, 11:45 PM
Hello aeonick, and welcome. I have a 2007 XB12Ss, and have had a similar issue. It all started when I got caught in a heavy rainstorm on the way home from work. It coughed and sputtered most of the way home. I didn't think I was going to make it, but found, in lower gears (higher RPM) it seemed to still run, so I rode home that way the last few miles. I replaced plugs, wires, etc., but read somewhere that poor battery connections (improper voltage) could cause a similar issue. So I tightened all the battery connections and insured the battery was fully charged. In that case the bike ran well, for a while, then exhibited the same symptoms again. So I deep charged the battery, tightened the connections, and it's running like a champ again. I'm sure I'm missing something, but at least in my case, it has to be related to the charging system.

aeonick
10-25-2013, 07:27 PM
Right on duc thanks for the info ill try a deep cycle charge/battery replacement, tighten up those connections and see if that helps! When I first got the bike I road it home in two hours of pouring rain and found out the hard way the realled bank angle sensor never got replaced :-/

aeonick
02-01-2014, 12:01 AM
Ok guys, I've replaced the battery, opened up the throttle body and checked seals there, I've checked all wiring to the charging system and all are fine as well as the oms and voltage readings coming from the system... I've replaced the spark plugs... The fuel pump sounds like its workin fine when I start it up and after taking it to a local shop the mechanic said he thinks its an over heating problem and that it could be my oil cooler.... I'm gonna take it down to the buell certified place and see I they can pull some codes I guess - any other suggestions??

user_deleted
02-06-2014, 11:18 AM
before you go to the " buell certified place" look at your ecm unit. it is under the seat. many of the 06-07 Ulys left the factory in Troy with the stock seat lightly rubbing against the ecm which over time, causes the ecm to crack and/or the connector plugs to work loose. remove seat, visually examine the ecm for any signs of rubbing/cracks/chafing. it could be that as the engine temp and under-seat temps rise the ecm starts to act up and goes awry. also, the factory issued a small protective bolt-on piece to prevent seat-to-ecm contact.