PDA

View Full Version : what is involved in a TPS reset??

brijesh600
02-27-2009, 02:05 PM
I own a 2003 XB9S, just sent my stock exhaust off to Kevin to get the drummer exhaust, i have read that i wll need a TPS reset done on my bike, my harley delaership charges me 2 hrs of labour at $75/hr. I was wondering if there is anything i can do myself to reduce the labour time. Is this something that requires the bike to be physically there or can i take the ECU in for them to work on? help me out fellas. this is my first buell, i have worked on metric bikes all my life but dont know much about the buell. I ca take the whole bike apart and put it back together,no probs, but this TPS thing is throwing me in a loop!

Stevenc150
02-27-2009, 02:24 PM
ECMSpy.com - has a free downloadable program so that you can do the TPS Reset yourself. The site contains important and detailed information on it's use and even has a downloadable manual that explains the reset step-by-step. Just be sure to read up everything you can about it, before you dive in. It is a wonderful tool but if you're careless you could even fry the ECM. Xoptiinside.com also has some great info as well as this forum. It's a heavily discussed topic on here if you use the search function; "exhaust upgrade", "ecmspy", "tps reset", etc.

brijesh600
02-27-2009, 02:43 PM
I already read about the ECMSpy option, but like you mentioned there is too much risk involved, as far as"frying my ECM!" Can i just take my ECm in to do the TPS reset, or does it have to be hooked up to the bike to do the reset? (i think it does)

rhpaw
02-27-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm sure someone in your area can help you out.. Where do you live?
TPS Reset has to be the easier way to get free beer, EVER.

I'd always be willing to help out a fellow Bueller in Denver.

teh Nub
02-27-2009, 04:11 PM
A TPS reset is done on the bike since you are basically just resetting the throttle position. I use ecm spy and don't worry about frying my ECM, it works the same way a dealer would hook up their diagnostic program to do a TPS reset. It also doesn't take anyware near 2 hours to do. Maybe 10 minutes, if that factoring in waiting for the computer to boot up....

Here is a link to buy the cable, It can be purchased cheaper else ware, from an individual on here or another board, or build the cable yourself like I did.
http://www.americansportbike.com/shoponline/ccp0-prodshow/A9317.html

Goodluck

shilohsk8
02-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Your ecm has to be in the bike to do a reset. Doing a reset is simple you won't hurt anything doing it yourself. First thing you need to do is get yourself a cable to connect a pc to your bike and download the ecmspy program. You can do both of those things here xoptiinside.com (http://xoptiinside.com/) or check ebay for the cables there usually on there. After you have done that jump back up on the forum and there are tons of people on here that will explain to you how to do it (myself included).

brijesh600
02-27-2009, 05:10 PM
I am taking the plunge! i just bought myself a ecm spy cable, it should be here some time next week. It is going to be atleast a week or two before Kevin can get my drumer exhaust done and shipped back to me, did a litle closer read up on the TPS reset, seems fairly simple (definitely not worth paying $150 to the harley stealership)

rhpaw! thanks for offering to help, really appreicate it! i am in Wichita, KS (a.k.a, middle of nowhere!) so i be on my own on this one!

I will keep you guys posted how it goes!

On a side note, do i really need the race ECM or can i make do with the stock ECM and K&N filter for the drumer exhaust? I have read here that it is not really necessarry (will save me about $250 if i dont need the race ECM)

teh Nub
02-27-2009, 05:22 PM
You can enter in the timing and fuel maps of the race ecm to your stock ecm and save yourself the $250. Download at the bottom of the page http://xoptiinside.com/downloads

BUT, you will have to manually enter the values into your own base map. You can't just load the race map eprom you download.....

7Mary3
01-18-2010, 07:39 AM
Straight from the Tech Manual:

Resetting the TPS on 08+ Buells
Resetting the TPS on 08+ Buells does not require external Software to perform a TPS reset, but
DirectLink can be used to confirm that it is set correctly. The 08+ Buells are equipped with Idle
Air Control logic, and the idle air and speed is under ECM control. The fully closed butterfly
position is set by a stop that is cast into the throttle body, and there is no external throttle position
stop screw.
To reset an 08+ Buell, do the following:
1. Turn on the key.
2. Set the kill switch to the run position.
3. Don’t start the engine. Rotate the throttle from fully closed (gently forced closed) to fully
open (gently held open), and then back again to closed (gently forced closed).
4. Repeat 3 times. Hold each position (fully open, fully closed) for 1 full second.
5. Turn the key off and on.
6. If you connect to Directlink, a fully closed throttle should indicate 3.7 to 4.2 degrees. If it
doesn’t, repeat the above steps.

xtreme6669
01-18-2010, 12:11 PM
His bike is an '03....

Stevenc150
01-18-2010, 02:11 PM
...and this is an old thread. ;)

xtreme6669
01-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Still good info for those who have not been here prior to feb/09.

vanson1200r
02-17-2010, 11:07 PM
It was helpful to me:)

yellow50
03-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Quick question. Can you do a TPS reset on an 09? I think I read somewhere that on 09 the bike adusts automatically? I was't sure if that was correct.

Stevenc150
03-22-2010, 02:45 AM
Can you do a TPS reset on an 09?'08+ TPS Reset Procedure:

- Turn on the key.

- Set the kill switch to the run position.

- Don’t start the engine. Rotate the throttle from fully closed (gently forced closed) to fully open (gently held open), and then back again to closed (gently forced closed).

- Repeat 3 times. Hold each position (fully open, fully closed) for 1 full second.

- Turn the key off and on.

dhend912
04-06-2010, 08:04 AM
new to forum and motorcycling in general ... am i resetting the tps on a new 09 firebolt if after having winterized it (battery tender, etc.), it's turning over but not starting? brand new bike, weather's turning, and the dealership is an hour away ... the service mgr said he'd email me something about me 'resetting the spark plugs' before they handled it, which I don't care to interpret at this point in time ... thx for the great insights on this forum

Stevenc150
04-06-2010, 04:22 PM
email me something about me 'resetting the spark plugs' before they handled itNot sure what he means but you shouldn't need to do a TPS reset just because it's been winterized. Probably need new plugs. NGK Iridium (Pt# DCPR9EIX) are awesome plugs. Here's a good procedure to change them out: Spark Plug Change (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/General-Motorcycle-Chat/Spark-plug-write-up)

Edit: I'm assuming the Engine is cranking, just not starting the bike.

303xb
04-06-2010, 04:58 PM
RHPAW, PM sent. I could use some help doing this. I'm near city park in Denver.

couple 12'ers of Heineken and a bottle of your fav. spirits for your help/time. Thanks bud.

Christer
07-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Does it matter if the engine is hot or cold when you reset?? Maybe a stupid question, but i remember reading somewhere that you should recheck the throttle-values when the engine is warmed up. True or..??

Stevenc150
07-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Whatever the motor, it's always a good rule of thumb to get motor to operating temps. and then do your checks/adjustments so you have a solid baseline. If you check/adjust when cold, measurements and levels are dependant on outside ambient temp which varies.

Raisingicarus
07-21-2010, 06:01 AM
Is there a way I can reset my TPS on my 07 Scg without having to use a software program and cable? I want to pick up the EBR race ECM and am sure I'll need to perform a reset.

Stevenc150
07-21-2010, 07:14 AM
For an '07, it's the Dealer (cost you) or ECMSpy (free).

JJsXB9Sx
08-28-2010, 10:39 PM
Forgive my ignorance but I shipped my bike from sea level to the mile high city. The bike gets a little bogged down under 3000 rpms. I've almost stalled a few times. Will a TPS reset help?

DrogeN Omen
12-12-2010, 11:42 PM
i have an 07 12Ss, can i do TPS reset using the instructions on here?

or do i have to take it to dealer?

onelogue
12-13-2010, 01:02 AM
i have an 07 12Ss, can i do TPS reset using the instructions on here?

or do i have to take it to dealer?

Yup and here is the best answer for you. Dave's How-to: TPS reset (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/How-To-TPS-Reset-Video-by-Dave)

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3100_20101201072618_L.jpg

Stevenc150
12-13-2010, 09:25 AM
You can try it, but I'm betting it won't work. Very Few of the later '07 models made it out with upgraded '08+ ECMs.

You'll probably have to use ECMSpy & DIY OR like you said, take it in to the stealership.

DrogeN Omen
12-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Yeah tried it lastnight and didn't work.

Talked to dealer this morning and they said that it could be the "Overdue Service" warning light, cause my headlights take about 5 mins to come on now once I've started the bike...

I have done over 11,000miles and my last service was at 3,000miles, i should have had a full service done at 6000miles. the dealer tech said they reset the service clock every time they do a service, so he said he could either turn off the warning light for me if i have been doing all the servicing myself or i could take it in and get the service done.

ich
12-13-2010, 09:14 PM
There is no "overdue service" light with 2007 models. If the light comes up, there's an error present. Better you stay away from your dealer if he doesn't know even about the basics.

DrogeN Omen
12-14-2010, 12:05 AM
yeah talked to a few people about what the tech said and also googled it and have concluded that the dealer tech is full of ****... he also wanted to charge me $150 to connect the bike up to computer to diagnose why the engine light is coming on...

the engine light comes on and then goes off after about 15 20 mins. i also googled this and seems like its reporting an event, so there might not be a current issue, also found that it can take up to 5 hours to reset and clear by its self if nothing is done to reset the issue.

looks like my only option is to make a cable or buy a cable and download ECMspy...

anyone have a link on how to create a usb to bike cable...? remember seeing one a while ago but havent had any luck finding it today...

stellio78
12-14-2010, 12:38 AM
http://www.xoptiinside.com/buell_store

Stevenc150
12-14-2010, 07:29 AM
Step-by-Step with Pics - DIY ECMSpy Cable (http://www.ecmspy.com/kabel_pc.shtml)

ZIG
12-15-2010, 02:10 AM
I own a 2006 XB12ss with Jardine exhaust and K&N airfilter. I have now bought a (preprogrammed)race ecm at EBR and need to do a TPS reset.
I've seen the video on the DIY-TPS reset and read the instructions here on the site (very helpfull), but I cannot download any programs from the EcmSpy website. Their site mentions "With the end of the project, the software is not available for public access any more".
Can I get this software anywhere else or do have to take it to the dealerschip for the TPS-reset ? Just send them an e-mail to ask what they charge.
THX,
Zig

chibi
09-24-2011, 02:58 PM
im trying to connect my 05 12scg, getting error code "Failed to decrypt file BUEIB.xml"through ecm spy, can transfer with ecm read but cannot modify maps and tuner pro just whipping me bad. i need to reset bike and do not have any epr files...what do i need to do to make this rideable, cause as of right now it is so spuratic you cannot ride safe

kbfnail
04-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Are there any videos of how too do the TPS reset manually?

TPEHAK
10-17-2015, 02:24 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i33__Qkvhn4

19-chief
02-09-2016, 01:44 PM
new xb12ss owner here... bought bike a few days ago with a low idle. hooked up ecmspy and cable in order of Dave's YouTube video and proceeded to back out throttle screw until reading zeroed out. BUT when I switched to diagnositics tab to tps reset it never read zero. the box was red and 5 and stayed red and 5 before and after reset commands. went back to overview and no readings no matter how much I tightended the screw. now she won't start. can anyone help me out here?

btw, i'm not a forums newb by any means but the schematics of this forum have me confused on where to truly find info or place a new thread appropriately and the search function, bc I know someone's gonna chime in, doesn't yield accurate results for my symptom. in the event that that answer is out there, please direct me and I will be grateful!

Chicknstripn
02-09-2016, 03:08 PM
Did you watch this video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i33__Qkvhn4&autoplay=1
Cause the "box with the red 5" is the CPS signal and is used for resetting or checking your timing.
You want to be looking and the blueish/purplish bar and % for throttle opening.
Before you even try resetting the TPS you must make sure your bike is communicating with ECMspy.
Sounds like you're have an issue with ECMspy reading your ECM signals