PDA

View Full Version : Matte Black 1125

BurningExample
10-23-2013, 02:37 PM
So after no luck trading / selling my 1125 this year. I have decided to remove the plastics and repaint them Matte black. does anyone have any advice on how to do this? I.e what paint to use and stuff? i read a few threads about it already but never quite understood them. I'm a novice painter at best and am just going for a new look. any help or suggestions on whitch paint o buy would be appreciated thank you

John422
10-23-2013, 02:42 PM
So you can use sand paper from 200 to 600 the lower the number the more rough your finish will be. Make sure you use the same grit over every piece as a final sand before paint. Good luck!

brock
10-23-2013, 04:12 PM
i would not use anything less then 600-800. you dont need to create a rough base for a matte finish. just scuff the glossy surface so the paint can adheare to it.
i love the matte look thats what my bike will be.

BurningExample
10-23-2013, 05:44 PM
how much should i scuff off? like get hardcore and scuff each piece for like 20 minutes? or a quick little scratching and call it good

chevy42083
10-23-2013, 07:27 PM
The nose might be difficult... but personally, I'd go with car wrap. Best way to get a perfect matte finish... unless you're a pro painter. Totally reversable too.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=3m+1080+matte+black&_sacat=0&_from=R40

They make a satin black that has a little more shine to it. Use "wrap cut" tape so you never have to put a blade to your paint.

I just hear so many problems getting black smooth, and matte paint even.

heagachongoose
10-23-2013, 08:05 PM
Just scuff it enough so it is not shiny anymore. You really dont need much, just enough for the paint to have something to adhere to.You want to make sure you get ALL of the parts though because any parts you miss the paint will not stick to. After sanding hit the parts with a coat of adhesion promoter and apply paint. You dont have to worry about whether you use a matte black paint or not. It only matters what the topmost layer is. You can use a gloss black and a matte clear cloat to get a matte finish. But for best results I would suggest a matte black under a matte clear coat. Just depends on what you have available to you.

For an even finish when painting its better to go in more layers of less paint as opposed to less layers of more paint. Just sayin.

Car wrap? Im assuming you mean vinyl wrap. You can get good results with vinyl wrap and it looks good when done right but its not something most people can just sit down and do it. It takes pracice. And a LOT of time to get it right unless you do it a lot. Price wise it would be close to the same price to just have it painted. Plus a solid paint job would last longer than a vinyl wrap. Pros of the wrap is that you could always go back to the original color easily though. Paint? Not so much.

My. 02ยข anyways :p

heagachongoose
10-23-2013, 08:08 PM
And btw if you do go with wrap make sure it is a quality 3m adhesive wrap and not the cheap stuff!!

brock
10-24-2013, 12:24 AM
I'm with Chevy and heaga. If you do a wrap it's munch better IMO. You can peal it off if your tired of it. Not only that if your goin to do it you need to be carefull you can't wet sand and buff it if you have dust in the paint, because of the matte finish. Go to alsacorp.com. Check them out they are a leader and innovator in the paint and wrap industry there **** is top notch. That have a wide variety of different options and finishes. I'm using there matte black finish for my bike.

brock
10-24-2013, 12:25 AM
Link.
http://alsacorp.com

stensg
10-24-2013, 04:02 AM
Why not just plastidip it? It gives a matte finish and if done correctly will stay on good I've had it on my forks for a whole session i found that non alcoholic mouthwash works great on it to take bugs off.

BurningExample
10-24-2013, 12:17 PM
thanks everyone on the ideas / recomendations

Im waiting a few more weeks untill i put it into storage then can take the pieces off one by one and give them a try.

ill post progress pictures as I go.

heagachongoose
10-24-2013, 12:53 PM
i found that non alcoholic mouthwash works great on it to take bugs off.

How the hell did you find that out???? [confused]

I can see it now... Hmm my breath stinks, better use some mouthwash. On second thought LETS JUST POUR IT ON THE MOTORCYCLE. lol [confused]:p

stensg
10-24-2013, 01:08 PM
lol no I had some mouthwash in in a spray bottle the garage because it works great for mosquito spray and i was like what the heck and tried it on some bugs on my fairing then my dipped forks lol

BurningExample
10-24-2013, 01:12 PM
you crazy kids and your backwoods remedies ;P

BuellyBagger
10-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Simplest way I can think to tell ya to do matte black.
Step1: wash all parts with hot soapy water and rinse well (then dry)
Step2: wipe down with denatured alcohol (one rag to wipe on one wipe off)
Step3: scuff surface with 3m grey scotch brite until entire part is completely dull (can be done with clean water and/or 3m sanding paste)
Step4: wipe down with alcohol again
Step5:tack off(with a tack rag) apply 2 medium coats and one final wet coat of krylon fusion matte black/satin black aerosol paint
If unhappy with results sand it all off with 600 wet and pay to have it painted ;)