PDA

View Full Version : Does gutted out stock exhaust require TPS reset?

brijesh600
03-02-2009, 11:35 AM
I recently purchased my 2003 XB9S, the previous owner swapped his stock exhaust with a completely gutted out stock exhaust, so that is what i have. the bike seems to run a little rough and pops a lot when i decelarate or slow down. I am wondering if i should do a TPS reset on it to solve the problem, or just wait and ride it that way till i get my drummer exhaust in!
I checked with the previous owner if he did a TPS reset when he put the gutted exhaust on, and he said that for a gutted exhaust, TPS reset will not be necesary.any insight on this?

LeFox
03-02-2009, 12:37 PM
depends on when you are getting the drummer.

normally it's not needed when the stock pipe is not needed, but since your bike is running rough, i would do it, unless you're getting a drummer next week. ;)

brijesh600
03-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Kevin from KDfab should be receving my stock exhaust today, so i am guessing another 2 weeks atleast before i get it back, and i have a few good days coming up for some riding, but i dont want to harm the engine if that is what the gutted exhaust is doing to it![confused]

LeFox
03-03-2009, 03:32 PM
you'll be ok for 2 weeks, it just won't run as smooth as it could.
;)

brijesh600
03-04-2009, 02:17 AM
ok, i took the bait and bough me a race ECM from iron machine too! Cant wait for the drummer to arrive so that i can do the TPS reset and get that bike to feeling better!

Tork
03-04-2009, 02:29 AM
I checked with the previous owner if he did a TPS reset when he put the gutted exhaust on, and he said that for a gutted exhaust, TPS reset will not be necesary.any insight on this?

The short answer is: The previous owner is correct, but for different reasons. An exhaust modification does not require a TPS reset. Period. Doesn't matter if it's a Drummer, gutted exhaust, Micron, or any other exhaust. The TPS has nothing to do with exhaust mods. A lot of guys do it anyways, just to make sure everything is optimal, but once you do a proper TPS reset, you should only need to do it again if you change the ECM, throttle body, or need to correct a improper TPS procedure (or worn TPS).

brijesh600
03-04-2009, 11:26 AM
The short answer is: The previous owner is correct, but for different reasons. An exhaust modification does not require a TPS reset. Period. Doesn't matter if it's a Drummer, gutted exhaust, Micron, or any other exhaust. The TPS has nothing to do with exhaust mods. A lot of guys do it anyways, just to make sure everything is optimal, but once you do a proper TPS reset, you should only need to do it again if you change the ECM, throttle body, or need to correct a improper TPS procedure (or worn TPS).

Thanks for that very useful information!