PDA

View Full Version : ooops...Charging issues

stevengeorgia
11-04-2013, 11:52 PM
Has anyone had to replace the stator/rotor assembly, Or 1 or the other? I replaced the voltage regulator, Hoping it would cure it, the xb12xt has 38,000 miles, Only highway use(From me, anyway)I bought it in march from a buell tech in maine, It's been a good bike, Until these charging woes...I'd just like to see what the average lifespan of the charging system is? And are there any issues to be wary of when pulling the primary, clutch and rotor? I bought a pdf manual and it dopesn't really go into detail about the symptoms, etc, Just the stator and rotor, and checking for cracks in the magnets, etc...Any help is much appreciated![confused]

squidbuellie
11-05-2013, 12:24 AM
Your about do for a stator replacement. They have a live span of about 35-40,000 miles give or take. I have see some go in 5 miles and I've seen some last 60,000 miles.

One thing you will need to check before you replace your stator if your bike is a 06-07 you might have a bad 77 plug.
If not then you will want to replace both the stator and regulator at the same time.
It's a pretty stair forward swap..... One thing you do want to check when you have the new stator in your hand is if it has raised of flush rivets.
If they are raised it is a recall stator.... You can grind it flush but why grind a $145 part. If you use a recalled stator it will fail. The rivets will hit the magnets in the stator housing.

BuellRonin
11-05-2013, 01:01 AM
I am new rider and even newer to motorcycles, but I was able to replace both the regulator (not super crazy) and the stator with the DIY link below.

When you drop your primary oil, you can look for any extra elements that shouldn't be there, such as plastic bit, excessive tiny metal shavings. All of which will tell you if something mechanical went wrong, rather than an electrical issue. But there are test you can run through the manual, I never did the test because mine was a mechanical HD screw up.

I have a 2005 XB12scg and found a cheaper price online for my stator at Surdyke. Average price was going for around $145-150 bucks, but found it there for $119.00. Searched google after I found the part number.

After you get a new stator, you can check your old one for any wear. My original stator plastic clip was not damaged, but the new one I order was different from my original. I looked at my original and it has a "4" molded into the back side, while the other had a different set of numbers. The new one I could tell would hit the stator bolts and would eventually cause it to fail. Most will say to grind it down, but you don't have to. You can simply tap out the rivet without cause any damage to the stator or clip and reuse as needed. I was going to use my old plastic clip on the new stator, but after thinking about it....I just left it off. So far no issues (2k miles so far).

You will need a tool to be able to break the bolts loose and to re-tighten the "clutch bolt and engine bolt" respectively. I bought the one from American Sport Bike, it's like 30 bucks. But I couldn't break loose the engine bolt even with a friend helping me.

Be sure to ask clear questions, as people are willing to help, but don't really want to fish for what you are trying to say.

Make sure you have the time to do this, don't try to rush through this and realize you torqued something wrong and have to tear it back down again. Oh, and get a torque wrench if you don't already. I rented a heavy duty one from my Oreily's as you need to torque the engine bolt pretty high.

DIY Stator Replacement (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/How-toDIY-XB-stator-replacement)

Cheers!

stevengeorgia
11-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the answers! It's good to know the Ins/outs on this issue, I want to get back to ridin'! lol :D

Renegade
11-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Guess you live in Georgia? Where abouts?

stevengeorgia
11-11-2013, 11:06 PM
Nah, It's my name, Georgia is welsh, I had a "family book of georgias" All about our name's history and relevance...! lol