PDA

View Full Version : Engine noise from my XB12R

scottedog
05-21-2007, 02:39 AM
hey there, I'm new to riding and also new to my XB12R. It has 10K on it and was well maintained by the previous owner, however I'm concerned about all the noise from the engine and trans. I'm waiting for the manual to show up and I'm afraid I may be killing it. I welcome any feedback and I'm grateful to have a place to talk.

NOMORE4s4ME
05-21-2007, 07:21 PM
My 12s is the same way. I don't hear clanking or anything like that but a do hear a lot of whistling and general machine noises (great description huh) coming from down there. I had an R6 and heard nothing but engine noise from that thing until I got a new pipe. Stock exhausts quiet the bike down so much they always seem to be choking. After a pipe is fitted all you hear is what your supposed to hear....the exhaust note. My Jardine should be in next week. That should fix the engine noise problem.

tbramich
05-22-2007, 02:01 AM
scottedog what do your noises sound like? go synthetic with those oils might help

scottedog
05-23-2007, 12:19 AM
Thanks for your feedback, I am already using syn 3. The noise coming from the engine sounds like a lifter tick, tick, tick. Theres another noise that sounds like its coming from the gearbox. The owners manual says to adjust the primary drive at 10K. I'm not getting an oil light coming on, but I've heard about oil pumps going out. Thanks again for your help.

tbramich
05-24-2007, 03:51 PM
qok is a guide line if you think its noisy dont wait, its cheaper to be proactive

tbramich
05-24-2007, 04:52 PM
thats supposed to be 10K

premierwheelman
03-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Mine makes the ticking noises also, my bike has 6k miles and i have the buell race ehaust and the rest of the stage 1 race kit. i thought it might be the primary chain but i tightened it and it still makes the noise, has anyone been able to pinpoint the noise to a specific part?

justice720
03-20-2008, 04:23 AM
It's a harley guys.. it's going to tick and it's going to leak oil, lol. Just change your fluids do your regular maintenance.. maybe upgrade your oil gears.. that's really all you can do.. other than upgrade your pipe so the noises go away like NOMORE4s4ME said...

texashick
03-20-2008, 01:52 PM
My 03 9r had 17,000mi on it and it does the same thing. I took the bike to 5 different shops and all said the same thing. Its a Harley, thats what it does..One guy told me it is the high compression heads that does it..It wont hurt anything..Just do the proper maintance and she will be fine..

Pellehau
04-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Sure there is a lot of noise,Some said the "kling klong" sound on idle, is the gear drive that makes it. An other problem sound is a high nearly screem sound that I think come from the injectionpump, what can that be , what draw the pump around? Is something gone seize or what? any experience from what can happen Its a XB9r from -02 1300 km I´ve just had Moto Guzzi before.

SeattleBuellMan
04-11-2008, 05:09 AM
Just bought 06 12r with 1143 miles on it. changed oil and spark plugs. used lucas 20-50 and some split tip plugs. did not receive manual with bike as i bought it used, and was instructed to put about 2.8 quarts in her. am worried i put too much oil in because after reading manuals posted on this great site...noticed it said for 2.5 quarts. engine also makes a ticking noise now that is more noticable. reading these posts makes me feel better. also how much does a jardine exhaust run...including new ecu, mapping done, installation,and pipe...and whatever other pieces i may need. also seen a d&d slip on exhaust that was just sick. thanks for the time

zoedogg1
04-16-2008, 10:46 PM
The noise you hear is normal. Harley engines are far from Honda's. They kling, pop, hiss, fart, and burp. The hiss you hear is the fuel pump, when you dont hear that hiss anymore, then you have a problem. You'll get popping and back fire type noises from the air box now and then, pinging on those hot days when rpm's are low and you get on it, But your engine is somewhat or a tank "As in Army tank". Just change fluids and all when you are suppose to and she'll treat you right back with the same love, just in copious amounts of horsepower and torque.

nef
04-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Hello, Again .I need to change my primary oil for my 2004 xb12 r. but I dont have the manual and this is the first time I have a Buell.I need to Know where is the service plug location .I ordered the manual but I havent received yet.I apologize for my ignorance but I will appreciate any help.:D

mrdozer2you
04-26-2008, 01:55 PM
I have a Buell.I need to Know where is the service plug location

Plug on the bottom left of the swingarm. Dipstick and fill are on the top left of the swing arm......( by left side I mean the side without the belt:p

The filter is under the chin spoiler on the right/beltside ;)

dave_xb12r
05-26-2008, 10:24 AM
I just bought a brand new 07 xb12r and I've only got about 330 miles on it. I'm new to these Harley motors, so I'm not sure what they SHOULD sound like. I have also noticed a odd sound. To me, it sounds like valve chatter. The noise starts at about 3k rpm. Because of the fact that I'm still in break in, I don't know if it makes the noise past 4k. I was thinking about taking it in to have it checked. I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry. Should I be worried?

LeFox
05-26-2008, 10:48 AM
the noise will be less after brake in, but it's a buell and there will always be mechanical noise.

use synthetic oil and the noise will already be less.
if it's a constant tikking noise, that is normal.

warhorse
05-26-2008, 11:35 AM
if you look on the left side of your bike you will see two bolts under the primary case. the one on the left is the timing chain adjustment the one on the right is the one for the primary fluid. one qt is all it takes to filler up.

be easy

DealsGap
05-26-2008, 07:23 PM
Have any of u guys with the engine noise noticed steel shavings on the oil plug? In my case i have a lower end noise and it is knock. Its faint only when cold. With rpms it goes away. Any Ideas im worried sick. I plan on doing the work myself if Buell does not warranty the repair. The thing is it was 15 days out of warranty when i cought the issue on the oil change. Anyone had a xb12 apart is it hard or not?

ulyscol
05-26-2008, 07:43 PM
The noises from my XB12X are nothing compared to my old iron head!

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.Harvey\My Documents\My Pictures\pics

ulyscol
05-26-2008, 07:46 PM
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1632_20080526124516_L.jpg

warhorse
05-28-2008, 02:41 PM
oh that is so classic i love the springer front end and the classic set it looks like a hard tail?

be easy

maybebuell
05-05-2009, 08:44 PM
syn at times can make a motor louder...lot of harley owners I know and mine also seemed louder with syn oil..many harley riders and mechanics dont use straight syn ... and the dont use motor oil in there tranny or primary ..harley went with using there oil in all three holes for one reason ,,,because they where loosing money from people going to other brand motor tranny and primary oils....they people who are new to harleys and dont know better use the same in all three holes...thats why there loud and shift with a clunky sound...your missing out on a smooth quiet ride...someone mentioned metal shavings on there magnet drain plug...dam right the oil it to thin.....there not a race bike or race motor its a harley put together with lose tolerance..thats why they sound the way they do...right tranny primary oil once a year is good enough and can go longer if you needed to

tuneport67ss
05-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Im new to the Buell scene. I have owned several other Harleys and this thing rocks. I just stole an 08 12R. The noise you guys are talking about it most likely normal. This thing is 10 times quieter than my pan and shovel were. As everyone else has said, just do your maintenace and stay on to of eveerything and she will last you for a long time. I got 25,000 out of my shovel before I had to do anything to the motor. I've heard of sporsters and later model harleys with 40,000+. Take care of them and they will take care of you.

buellstorm
05-28-2009, 06:10 PM
So, the 'tap-tap-tap' I hear while idling is normal? Good.

It started hearing it after switching to HD Syn - so I'm switching back to Mobil 1 20/50 racing oil.

Jezuz
05-31-2011, 12:48 PM
My 2008 XB12R developed a noise the past few days... I was up in the mountains on Sunday, reving it high, and after that ride I can hear a loud noise after around 3k rpm. That sound was not there before, is quite loud and sounds as if a screw is loose and vibrating. I'm not sure if it's coming from the timing chain, crank/rod/motor, tranny... It also does the noise on neutral, I have changed oil and oil filter more than 1000 miles ago I believe.
I know it can be a million things, but since the closest HD service is more than an hours ride away, I've got no free time from work, and they are very VERY expensive over here, I am asking if someone had a similar experience, and what was it on thei bike?
Thanks!

Route0766
04-22-2012, 01:55 AM
Hi BUELLERS,
I have noise too (07XB9R/9Kmiles), previous owner used Mobil synthetic oil. For what I hear is the noise normal but is the first time I hear and not in my past BUELLs. I never use different brand before, I always use regular HD (Not HD synthetic).
Any comments?
Thanks,

Route0766
04-22-2012, 06:36 PM
Well, I changed trans and engine oil (HD for both), plus adjusted the clutch.
The noise is reduced more than %50, may be more!!

PatrickH
06-01-2012, 12:27 AM
It looks like its been a wile since anyone has been on this topic. I have always had valve tick when driving below 3000 rpm for too long in my 2009 xb12scg.
My history on the bike is that I bought it used but with only 310miles on it. The oil sat in it for 3 years. The dealer said they change the oil but did not as I did and it was blacker than black. My understading of the hydraulic adjusted valves in my old car was that dirty oil makes them tick more. I plan to change the oil several times as I did in my VW corrado to make it quiet down. I thing going 1000miles on this bike before changing the oil is not a good idea. If this helps I will keep this post informed.
I have noticed that the engine does not like to run at low rpms as this noise from the valves gets more frequent.

Oldgit
06-01-2012, 07:43 AM
Well with my 04 XB12R I've changed the oil 3 times in as many weeks, and the noise is different; even louder. I was concerned that maybe I'd done some minor damage when overfilling but the plugs are OK, the power is still there. I guess the new sound is just the bike revelling in fresh oil :)

I have new plugs and HT's on the way for peace of mind.

Route0766
06-01-2012, 02:27 PM
Hi Oldgit,
Check if you have loose the Primary Chain. It is 5 minutes to adjust it.
Good luck!!

Thanks,
Route0766

Oldgit
06-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Thanks Route, I'll check that. I just need to find my manual now so I know what I'm doing...

Oldgit
06-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Nvm found it :D

Route0766
06-03-2012, 02:24 AM
It should be 1/2 in lose.
Good luck!

farmboy67rides
11-27-2012, 12:53 AM
I just got tired of wondering. So i threw in a quart of slick 50 and some 15w50 and wrung the snot outta the piece of junk. Now I got a piece of junk with a thrown rod or a slipped main. At least i will find out tomorrow when I tear it down!!!!

autoprotolysis
05-06-2013, 04:25 PM
I got a noise that is loudest at 2500 rpm. even when winding down it is loudest at that point. Don't know what that is. I do hear a tick that only happens at low rpms level throttle and sounds like rods slappin around.
Question 1 does anyone know about the 2500 rpm noise, Don't know where it comes from.

Question 2. Is it safe to assume that at low rpms and level throttle that a push rod can literally bounce off the cam with what little play it may have? Like a harmonic bounce. Damn things got enough got enough torque at idle you would think it may slap those rods around.
Thanks Andrew NW Iowa

BuellRiderX
05-06-2013, 04:54 PM
I like hearing all the mechanical noises. The ticking was bothering until now. Awesome thread :D

titanusmc
05-07-2013, 01:33 AM
I have an issue with unusual noise as well. It sounds like components on the top have of the motor, maybe rocker box or push-rods, hard to tell, the sound is proportional to rpm. I recently took off my primary cover and gear/oil pump to have them powder coated and the headers to be ceramic coated. in the process of taking of the oil pump, my rear exhaust cam fell out. I had to take off the rear cylinder rocker box in order to relieve pressure on the hydraulic lifter to re-seat the cam. I aligned the cam to its marking on the other, rotated the engine a few cycles/rechecked to insure alignment was good. Believe it is. replaced all of the gaskets, re-installed rocker box, strapped the bike back together. started it up, and immediately heard an unfamiliar mechanical noise. almost like a clicking. Bike idles fine, no check engine light, however the oil light remains on. So I think there is a lack of oil pressure(px) and therefor no oil is lubricating the rather dry engine components. I remove the oil pump cover and inspect, everything looks kosher. Nice clean oil is coming in. Clean oil on the outside of the filter. Dirty old oil on the inside of the filter(Oil filter had only 200 miles on it). Intent was to run it for a hundred or so then do a full oil change. I check the oil px sensor, seams good. disconnect the oil line to the the oil cooler and start the bike up for a few seconds....no oil comes out. go farther up the chain. remove oil filter, and run another few seconds...no oil pressure going to the filter...checked the bypass valve...seems good, but not sure if it is stuck open and sending everything back....I am at a loss. With the dipstick removed the oil tank seams overfilled, oil comes seeping out. I drained the thing during the project and added the 2.5 after i finished...Any ideas? can the primary chain affect this situation?