PDA

View Full Version : Buell guys are nuts, now I'm one of ya

racepro716
03-05-2009, 01:33 AM
Ok, my brand new XB12R was delivered two weeks ago. Started and ran just fine. Temp was around 1-2C. Tried to start it the next day, got burping, farting and then nothing. Temp was around -10C. I understand I fouled the plugs, changed the front one no prob, but the back!! OMG!! This bike aint like my old GPZ. How friggin small do your fingers have to be? My question is this, can you ride this bike as an every day rider without BS like this? I ride from mid March till mid Dec.

Thanks, Wayne

dave_xb12r
03-05-2009, 01:41 AM
The temp is a big issue, and it depends on how you've been treating your new bike. You can just start it up for your friends and then turn it off because you'll foul the plugs. It needs to warm up before you turn it off. One trick to getting to that back plug is to drill a hole in the plate above the rear cylinder. That will give you access to rear plug more easily. Check your battery as well, you may need a charge.

Thaloc
03-05-2009, 01:44 AM
I ride an 08 XB12R. I fouled my plugs at like 1,500 miles and haven't since. I think it must come with the break in. My Buell is my main mode of transportation when there is no snow, so I would say yes, very reliable. All iv needed to do has been oil changes and gas. Just remember ur on a twin now, it takes a bit more warming up than a I4.

Iv heard the back plugs are hell to change, so I just let the shop change those. Once you break her in, you'll love it. I think its way more practical as an every day rider than any other bike iv rode. Welcome to the board, and grats on the new bike! Lotta usefull stuff on here, just surf around a bit. Def check out Breather Re-Route (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/How-To-Crank-Case-Breather-Mod-with-pics), and License Plate Relocation (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/license-plate-relocation) DIY Mods.

Stevenc150
03-09-2009, 03:03 AM
Welcome to the forum Racepro. Here's a great thread on spark plug recommendations and how to get to the rear plug fairly easily: Help with Fouling Plugs (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Firebolt-XB12-XB9/Fouling-Plugs) Congrats on the purchase!

onelogue
03-09-2009, 05:17 AM
Iv heard the back plugs are hell to change, so I just let the shop change those.
Hey race pro 716 I used to foul plugs a lot, so I have learned to change the front and back plugs easily! Don't take your bike to the shop! You can use pliers to remove the wire. All you need to change the back plug is a socket with a nuckle (or pivot joint). Now to put the new plug in DO NOT USE the socket at first to start screwing in the plug cause it could strip the hole. Start off by using a piece of small rubber hose or fuel line and shoving the the top of the plug up it. Then using this you can reach the plug down to start. Once you feel the plug screw in you can tight it with the socket from there.[up]

racepro716
03-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Hey guys, thanks for all the tips. I figured out how to ghange the rear plug. Took me about 2 hours of fighting and screaming to sort it out. Found both plugs fouled, bought new NGK's and did them both in about 20 min now that I have practice,lol. Have 64 kilometers on it over 2 quick outings, and am loving it.

Thanks again, Wayne

buellstorm
03-26-2009, 03:39 PM
racepro716,

Can you elaborate on the process of changing out the rear plug? I've heard that persistence is the key here....

racepro716
03-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Hey Buellstorm, I finally got my rear plug changed, this is how...Remove seat and the airbox cover. On the left side there's a gap between the rear shock mount and the frame. Waaaayyy down in that hole you can see the plug. Remove the plug wire ( I had to use needle nose pliers) Feed the plug socket in with the pliers, you can get your hand in behind the frame after you remove the front air scoop and guide the plug wrench in. You need a 3 inch swivel extension and another extension to turn the plug out. I had to ues a length of hose on the end of the plug to get it back in, again you have to guide it in from behing to get the plug started. If you pull the plug wire off the coil ( I did...twice) You have to lift the bottom of the airbox off to get it back in. I didn't have to completly remove it, just lift it up enough to feel around for the coil. It took me close to 2 hours of fighting and screaming the first time but only 20 min. once I know what I'm doing

Good luck, Wayne

buellstorm
03-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Thank you very much, I'm going to try and tackle this either this weekend or next.

Thank you again,
J

jsg
03-27-2009, 01:21 AM
Welcome to the madness racepro and welcome to the form. I see you are using KM/H where are you located?

racepro716
03-27-2009, 01:55 AM
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. About an hour west of Toronto, give or take, hour and a half north of
Buffalo. You?

jsg
03-27-2009, 03:11 AM
Well right now I'm in Alabama but I did moved back to that French place right next door to you province called Quebec lol. I live in Quebec city.