PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Buell Firebolt

sledge21
05-21-2007, 10:13 PM
Hi and thanks to you all for such an insightful forum. I have found a 2003 Buell Firebolt XB9 for $4000. The bike has only 1500 miles on it. Now for the rest of the story. I'm dealing with the original owner and the reason for the low milage is that he wrecked the bike within 500 miles of buying it. He came to a stop in a bit of a hurry did an endo and managed to damage the frame. The insurance company spent over $5,000 (I've seen the bills) to repair the bike, including replace and restamp the frame with the original vin #. The bike has a clean title, no salvage or repair. My question is, with knowledge of the damage and the repair(performed by a local Harley/Buell dealer) is this a deal or a dog? All recommendations are appreciated.

David Horne

azsnow
05-21-2007, 11:02 PM
Yes, very good deal! I paid $5650 out the door from a dealership. 2003 XB9R with 3400 miles about a year ago!

tbramich
05-22-2007, 01:26 PM
if the insurance company saw frame damage the bike would be totaled. there fore if fixed the bike it would have a rebuilt or salvage title. any frame damage an insurance company rights it off as a total. -that is straight from the adjusters mouth

slydwazer
05-22-2007, 07:01 PM
tbramich - That's not true for all wreck damage involving a frame. I work in the industry and know of several bikes that have had damage to the frame and it was replaced as part of the repair. One such bike happened to be a 2005 XB9R that was high-sided at 300 miles. The frame received moderate damage and the estimate exceeded $5000 for repair. The insurance adjuster gave the owner the option of repair or total, which he opted for repair. A year later, he sold the bike through the dealership with a clean title. I verified this, as I was interested in purchasing the bike and knew the history.

sledge21 - You didn't reference your area, but it's not a bad price in any area. If the repair was performed properly, it will provide years of good service. Definitely ask questions, get a second opinion from a trusted source, and an ESP is not a bad idea if available through the selling dealer.

sledge21
05-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. I had the bike checked by a local Buell dealer and also did a vehicle search on the bike all came back clean. And the waiting motivated the seller to drop to $3800. Put tags on today going out for a much anticipated ride tonight. One more question. Any suggestions for removing pitting on stock alum. rims? Again thanks to all for the advice and I'm sure I'll have other questions. Also any advice as for modifications to stock 2003 bike are appreciated as well.

Rifterzs
05-23-2007, 02:40 PM
i have an '03 XB9R and the frame was damaged a year ago, some moron hit my parked bike! The insurance wouldn't total it for some reason! it was in the shop for almost 2months to fix other repairs and then they were gonna have it out for another few weeks to replace the frame (totaling just under $4k)It was the start of riding season here and I was too anxious to have it replaced, it is the smallest scratch in the world, no dent even, but it's HD policy to replace the whole thing they said. I didn't get it fixed, but my point is they wouldn't toal it either (i was really hoping for a new '06 paid for by this moron who should have been looking where he was going but oh well :(

xtremelow
06-01-2007, 05:41 PM
For an insurance company to total a vehicle out it needs to reach a total of 75% of the vehicles cost to total it or else it will be salvaged, and if it reaches a total repair cost of 90% it is then titled as scrap. Little info.

Either way you got a great deal on the bike and good luck riding.

Brandon