PDA

View Full Version : XB12XT Cutting out problem

v12uly
11-27-2013, 07:24 PM
Hi, I have one of the last Ulysses, a 2010 XB12XT, it's great bike, but it is now out of action.... once warm, while being ridden, the motor pauses for 1 or 2 seconds, then runs normally, as this happens the engine management warning light comes on, but goes out as the motor comes back on full. The motor does not stall, it seems to be dropping in to 'limp' mode. No fault code is left on the ECM. The fault does not seem to be linked engine revs or load.

So far, a fuel pressure problem has been found and fixed, the oxygen sensor has been replaced as has engine temperature sensor.

Not sure where to look next..... has anyone out there had the same problem or got any ideas?

thumpin1203
11-27-2013, 08:04 PM
Checked your grounds yet? how about the bank angle sensor? is the seat pushing on the ECM?

v12uly
11-28-2013, 07:25 PM
Thanks, all on the list of things to check now.

user_deleted
11-30-2013, 02:57 PM
do your gauge needles "sweep" when this happens? if so it is electrical. if not, agree with thumpin and i would also take a very close look at the ecm where the harnesses plug in and around its base....check for cracks or cosmetic signs of a problem. i'd also take a look at the clutch cut-out switch at lever mounting assembly. have seen a few on the way out that caused your symptom.

v12uly
11-30-2013, 06:45 PM
Thanks again, more to check out!

go cytocis
12-04-2013, 10:52 PM
while being ridden, the motor pauses for 1 or 2 seconds, then runs normally, as this happens the engine management warning light comes on, but goes out as the motor comes back on full. The motor does not stall, it seems to be dropping in to 'limp' mode. No fault code is left on the ECM. The fault does not seem to be linked engine revs or load. I agree with Thump & Lunatic above. I'll just add something simple though, only because I didn't see you rule it out in your OP: Are your battery terminals secured tightly? All it takes is a slight looseness and you’ll get identical symptoms to yours.

v12uly
12-07-2013, 04:49 PM
Hi, looks like we've tracked the fault down to a crack in the ECM case caused by pressure from contact from the underside of the seat. The bike runs fine with the ECM relocated, so we'll see how it runs for a while, otherwise, does anyone have source of replacement ECMs?

Matteson
12-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Harley, Am. Sport Bike and others

UlyPete
12-24-2013, 03:29 PM
Where did you relocate the ECM to? Having the same issues with my 09' 12X. Replaced the ECM, seat pan and other misc parts. But still get the limping issue when it heats up. Havent moved the ECM though. I was planning on putting a heat shield under the ecm to block it. Thanks.

uly luigi
12-24-2013, 05:14 PM
I was having a rubbing issue with the seat on my '08 Uly, I caught it before it was able to break my ECM, I took some sidecutters and removed the hard plastic seatpan that was pressing on the ECM, nothing but soft foam touching it now, and I do have a stock '08 ECM if any one needs it, I'm not going to go back from my EBR ECM

Bowsnoard
07-28-2014, 11:48 AM
I have been having this exact same issue, same 2010 XB12XT. I'm just starting to dig into it.

Any consensus to what the root cause was?

My battery cable was loose, but tightening it didn't change anything. It still cuts, dials sweep, orange light after 20 mins or so. Occurs 1-4 times in 30 minutes.

Any help would be appreciated. I will check all the items presented above, and post back when I've fixed it

Cheers

jcfreer
07-29-2014, 02:13 AM
I was having the same issues. I have it pinpointed I think, the wire harness that plugs in to the coil pack. I have adjusted the wires out of the hard pinch and the problems went away for about 200 miles now. Mabe this is your problem as well good luck

SDTruk
07-30-2014, 12:29 AM
I have 09 xbx Uly and Have had the same problem, found a crack in my ecm, moved it( I've been assured that is the ECM was bad, my problem would be more obvious), still have the problem, have re flashed, checked the grounds, and am about to tear the airbox off again to check coil connections. if anyone has any thing else that's worked let me know, plz.

SDTruk
08-02-2014, 06:42 PM
Wooo Hooo! I have fixed my intermittent miss! It ended up being the Crank Position Sensor. Hope this will help anyone else with the problem.