PDA

View Full Version : Warm Up Question and Surging Update

fastmart
01-11-2014, 09:32 PM
Hi all - and thanks for all previous suggestions

I've been working on the mods to reduce/eliminate the Uly's classic surging symptoms.
http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Ulysses-XB12x/Troubleshooting/Engine-SurgingHunting-2-3-rpm-again

Mods completed so far:
Standard exhaust valve zip-tied open
Breather re-route (2:1 exiting front without catch-can/filter)
All grounds cleaned and tightened
Additional ground wire (coils to battery negative)
ECM repositioned
TPS reset
Inlet leak checked (butane and WD40 methods) - seems ok
Stock air filter changed to K&N

I took it out today and thought I had an amazing improvement...

I did a ride in 3 stages, about 40 mins each stage on twisty back roads and 8 deg C outside (sorry if you're in a big freeze right now).

First two stages, the engine ran really well. Only the slightest hint of the old surging/hiccup issues. Bike and engine felt great. best it's been since I've had it!!! :-)

Third stage, it was much more temperamental - as if back to before the mods! :-(

The biggest difference I can think of is that I gave the bike minimal warm up before riding stage 3 (left a cafe with people eating outside, so didn't want to drown them in noise and fumes), and I had lunch, so bike sat cooling for longer. The bike never seemed to regain it's previous form on the ride home.

Could lack of warm up make this kind of difference on a Buell (is it a key issue - as I've not experienced this on previous bikes)?
Or could something else have caused this?

PS. I'd heard Ulys tended to lift their front wheels fairly easily - and wondered why mine didn't.
Trying to understand the engine/surging characteristics, I snatched the throttle open, rolling in 1st gear at 2k rpm...
Bl**dy front wheel went straight to eye level!!! - Guess my front wheel does come up after all :-)