PDA

View Full Version : Best replacement battery?

NVBuell
01-16-2014, 05:46 PM
The original battery finally gave up the ghost. Was looking for the popular/public opinion of what the best battery to replace the original with is. Suggestions anyone? Found the Anti Gravity batteries and really liked their options, but little out of my price range at the moment. Always used Yuasa in the past, but there are alot of different models for the Buell so maybe someone has used a particular one to great results. Thanks group!

theMelvster6
01-16-2014, 06:47 PM
Look up Deka Ext14 big crank battery. It's the same as factory but much cheaper. Good battery too.

Tbone
01-16-2014, 08:18 PM
My battery died last year while parked on Hwy 75 at Dave and Busters in Dallas, so I carried that heavy battery all the way to Batteries Plus and bought a new one for about $98 plus tax. It was called X2Power AGM:
Batteries Plus (http://www.batteriesplus.com/products/558-CC/3990-Motorcycle-Batteries/138257-Buell/XB12X-Ulysses/1200CC-2006-to-2010/1.aspx)
It was unfortunately just as heavy as the original, as I dragged it back to the bike and installed it. No problems with it so far and it came with the spacers as the terminals are not flush like the original. I am one year into the 2 year warranty. Definitely would rather have something lighter, but for the price it works ok.

GregoXB
01-16-2014, 08:43 PM
I personally would get something like this

http://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/hYTX14HL.html

More importantly, I would buy a battery tender and connect it when not in use, for maximum longevity. Like this:

http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-chargers/brands/battery-tender/BTjr12v021-0123.html

NVBuell
01-16-2014, 10:01 PM
All good info. :) Thanks fellas, I will look all the links up and go from there. Appreciate! [up]

Loki
01-17-2014, 05:05 AM
Any AGM battery that is powerful enough.

I wouldnt go with an LiFePO4 unless you only track or you buy the expensive chargers. I am super less then happy with mine. And I have the Ballistics Performance 16 Cell HD LiFePO4 battery. Its so light that you notice the difference but the way it ALWAYS struggles to start the bike is terrible.

NVBuell
01-19-2014, 06:08 PM
This is what I picked up. Made in America, probably by the same manufacturer. Yeah it weighs a little bit (same as stock) but I don't plan on racing my bike at the track anyway. http://www.batterymart.com/c-buell-1125r-1125cc-battery.html Should work just fine. It was shipping free and the best price for a quality battery. Found that I could get a Deka locally, but they wanted about 15.00- 20.00 more so went this route. Thanks for the input Loki. Really thought about the Anti gravity batteries, but just couldn't spring for the $.

Loki
01-19-2014, 07:32 PM
[up] Good deal there!

agfish18
01-22-2014, 08:36 PM
+1 on battery mart. Whatever you do, dont get it from Wally World. The pos and neg terminals are reverse from stock, so if you arent paying attention you could hook up backwards and pop a fuse or 2. if you are paying attention it will require creativity in getting the positive cable on the left of the bike to match the positive terminal on the right of the battery... not a good deal either way.

NVBuell
02-17-2014, 06:54 PM
Just a follow up on this battery from Battery Mart. Its a great deal! Has loads of juice to crank the bike over and fitment was perfect! I already have a battery tender, so going to change over the quick plug to some Deutsch plugs to keep the elements out (use them all the time on heavy equipment) and ease the speed of connections and will be all done! Did the "pre" spring start up and got the itch!

imBlasted
03-11-2014, 01:53 AM
So today I ordered the batterymart.com battery posted above. And I got home to find an email saying that it's back ordered until about March 24! NOOOOOO!!! The iPhone site didn't say anything about it. 😓

go cytocis
03-11-2014, 03:20 AM
Whatever you get, stay away from the Walmart Everstart, I ended up with one about a year ago when I needed a replacement fast one Sunday morning. It's failed twice since. To Walmart's credit, they've replaced the battery for me free each time, but in hindsight I'd much rather have just swallowed my pride, coughed up the dough, and walked into HD for a stock replacement!

ztied
03-11-2014, 05:22 AM
I got one at cycle gear with lifetime warranty,wasnt too much more,but I never have to buy one again,going about 2 years on it now. And like the guys above said battery tender. Every now and then I will hook it up overnight to keep me good

imBlasted
03-12-2014, 06:07 AM
Well I ride mine everyday, unfortunately some of my trips are 1-2 miles. I don't live far enough from work...

imBlasted
03-12-2014, 10:45 PM
Woah lifetime warranty??? What's the catch?

Mesozoic
12-28-2017, 01:30 AM
+1 on the Big Crank ETX14. I'm on my 2nd unit now, but the original would've survived if I had paid attention to it. I wrecked during the summer of 2015 and mothballed the bike without disconnecting the battery. When I finally restored the bike the last few weeks (2.5 years of storage), it was way frozen over and not coming back. However, it's a great battery and doesn't suffer from the totally dismal performance the Ballistic Performance EVO2 16-cell LiFe battery it's replacing. I think Ballistic has a new battery that is more of a direct fit for the Buell, but at $300-350 it's really just not worth the extra cash.

ztied
01-01-2018, 03:15 PM
Got lucky they only offered it for 1or 2 days. Update on lifetime battery, one of the terminals broke, so I brought it back,they changed it out, then the second time, The new manager, after trying not to honer it, finally gave me one, and changed it in the computer, to a 1 year warranty.and it was 145ish, but I figured, I would never have to buy a battery again, otherwise hell no I wouldnt have paid that much.

Tbone
01-03-2018, 08:58 PM
I personally would get something like this

http://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/hYTX14HL.html

This battery looks like the terminals are reversed for an XB Buell and it is made in China? Is the 1125 reversed from the XB?

HolyMoley
01-23-2018, 03:22 AM
I must have a drain then. I bought a battery about a year Go and its done... I was just Bout to spend the money in the antigravity but it sounds like this ISN'T the best option. I'm hoping one of the Buell wizards are monitoring this feed

user_deleted
01-23-2018, 11:35 AM
I must have a drain then. I bought a battery about a year Go and its done... I was just Bout to spend the money in the antigravity but it sounds like this ISN'T the best option. I'm hoping one of the Buell wizards are monitoring this feed

well then break out the multi-meter and check for a parasitic drain. very uncommon with buells BUT 92% of the time if you have one it's the VR heading south.

GregoXB
01-23-2018, 12:08 PM
well then break out the multi-meter and check for a parasitic drain. very uncommon with buells BUT 92% of the time if you have one it's the VR heading south.
What lunatic said..... if the VR checks out, then test the stator.

Mesozoic
01-23-2018, 07:25 PM
I've had the VR crap out on me before. You can look up the threads on Badweb from many years ago, but the sure fire fix for it was to replace the OE VR with a Compufire 55150.

HolyMoley
01-24-2018, 08:24 PM
Ok thanks. What does VR stand for?

Mesozoic
01-24-2018, 08:36 PM

Voltage regulator

Tbone
01-24-2018, 08:36 PM

That would be a Voltage Regulator to old schoolers like me. Virtual Reality seems to be the latest craze.

user_deleted
01-24-2018, 10:25 PM

have the distinct impression this thread like most of the others on here is going to get out of hand very quickly. note that i did NOT say that your VR is bad. i SAID that in many instances a parasitic drain in either XB or 1125 applications can typically be traced back to a VR headed to the graveyard. you do NOT need a youtube vid or instruction manual to test same. print out my simple instructions below, follow them precisely, and you'll find it.
1-MOST IMPORTANT----the battery must be fully charged....NOT with a crap tender. 6 amps for 20 minutes typically does the job. if the battery is suspect you cannot accurately perform the test.
2-with a fully charged battery turn everything off on the bike and remove the key from the ignition.
3-you can use either battery terminal but i strongly recommend using the NEGATIVE TERMINAL!
4-remove the negative cable from the negative terminal
5-set your multi-meter to DC AMPS....NOT dc volts....DC AMPS. make sure that is the setting you're working with.
6-now connect in series the meter to the cable and battery. place the red cable end onto the batt termimal and the other cable end onto the actual cable.
7-now check your meter. a typical buell draws between 100 and 200 milliamps when sitting. anything over that is suspect.
8-now go to the most common source as i previously mentioned....the VR. remove the battery fuse from the fuse box and look at the meter. significant change in the meter reading? confirm it's the VR by replacing the fuse and unplugging the VR. same reading as with the fuse removed? it's a bad VR.
9-step 8 reveals no change? start by removing each fuse in the fuse box individually and watch the meter. a significant change just showed you the guilty circuit. refer to service manual or ASK ME what's on that circuit and i'll tell you.

GregoXB
01-24-2018, 11:05 PM
Idk man, if he doesn't know what VR stands for, my advice would be for him to take his motorcycle to someone that knows what they are doing. Many "Buell problems" are actually caused by incompetent owners playing mechanic. I wish there was a statistic that showed how many problems were actually caused by owners tinkering around where they should not be. I bet that stat would be high.

Mesozoic
01-25-2018, 03:38 PM
Idk man, if he doesn't know what VR stands for, my advice would be for him to take his motorcycle to someone that knows what they are doing. Many "Buell problems" are actually caused by incompetent owners playing mechanic. I wish there was a statistic that showed how many problems were actually caused by owners tinkering around where they should not be. I bet that stat would be high.

LOL, it's true that if someone is not familiar with what a VR is, said person could create more problems for themselves. Best to have a knowledgeable friend help diagnose in that case. However, HolyMoley do you own a multimeter? Preferrably the digital variety?

Tbone
01-25-2018, 03:59 PM
I say nothing wrong with someone working on their bike, I actually think it is Great! Just like this forum has a high experience and skill level of some members, that are willing to share such as lunatic's response above. It is a beautiful thing.

Silverrider
01-25-2018, 04:08 PM
I say nothing wrong with someone working on their bike, I actually think it is Great! Just like this forum has a high experience and skill level of some members, that are willing to share such as lunatic's response above. It is a beautiful thing.

He is AKA The Buell Whisper. (lunatic)

Outlaw
01-25-2018, 04:19 PM
I have learned a lot by just reading lunatics posts. Thank you for your vast knowledge of the product.

user_deleted
01-25-2018, 05:55 PM
I have learned a lot by just reading lunatics posts. Thank you for your vast knowledge of the product.

thanks much for that josh...thanks silver.:eagerness:

GregoXB
01-25-2018, 06:34 PM
Lunatic clearly has the knowledge and the skills. However, the person asking for help on the forum, myself included, can have some serious knowledge deficits/experience that cannot be overcome even with the most Lunaticesque instruction set. Case and point, we tell this guy check your VR with multi-meter for parasitic draw, etc., etc., and Lunatic goes on merrily explaining away and the guy comes back with, "What's a VR?" :black_eyed:

A little less recently there was a guy who was having problems with his spark plugs, and he got walked through via the forum. He comes back with a post, I fixed everything super good, just like you guys told me and I made sure to red loctite the spark plugs in place so it won't happen again. :eagerness: meanwhile we are like :sorrow:

Cooter
01-25-2018, 08:33 PM
Ya, that one was a little :upset:

njloco
01-25-2018, 10:09 PM
Well,, let's face it, a little common sense ( like read the recommendations ) goes a long way.

Outlaw
01-26-2018, 12:58 AM
Yes to this ^^^^^^

Tbone
01-26-2018, 09:11 PM
If there is one thing I love most about motorcycles or cycling in general is how awed and surprised I am by the people who share the same passion. I was riding with a group who have ridden in Arkansas for over 20 years and sometimes several times a year. They know every road, route, stop imaginable and I would consider a few of them highly skilled expert street riders. We were heading up to Push mountain as it was being re-paved and stopped for lunch. As we were sitting their talking over lunch there was an old man with a driftwood cane/walking stick who started talking with us about how he loves to ride motorcycles and things he did when he was younger. Some of his stories seemed a little tall. As we were finishing up our BBQ lunch he asked us if he could ride with us? We seemed to think he was joking at first then we were a little hesitant as the old man leaned on his cane to stand up and walk, but we eventually agreed he could ride with us. As we were walking out of the restaurant and getting on our bikes, I did not believe this Old guy was really going to ride with us to Push mountain. Well low and behold we see this old man sitting with his walking stick bungie corded down on the back of the seat of his yellow BMW 1200, he also had handicapped plates. He then asked if he can lead the ride and he knew some really good roads. School was then in session, this old man rode circles around us and the fastest bikes/riders in our group were on an SVT 1000, Non Stock RS 1100, and the rest were on Tiger 1200's, and a 1050. He dropped us like a big dog several times and he waited for us to catch up. The best riders in our group said that they were afraid to catch up to him because he might even go faster. Well this man with a cane was named Bill and he had over 140K miles on his bike. This reminds me of this post, don't confuse knowledge with skills or judge someone, as you just may be proven wrong. If you are ever in Ark. and see this Old guy he just might ask you to go riding? 9078