PDA

View Full Version : bogging down?

chickenhawk1
03-12-2009, 01:03 AM
hey just got a 09 xb9sx. It is the first buell I've owned. the bike runs great, except for when the bike is idling if I give the throttle a short snap it bogs down. if I roll the throttle slower it has all the power in the world. I called the dealer today and he said that buells were known for that. the bike sounds like it is not getting enough fuel or too much air. any suggestions before I take the bike back to the dealer to have them look at it?

Stevenc150
03-12-2009, 02:56 AM
Yeah, put some NGK Iridium plugs (DCPR9EIX) in your bike. Very few auto parts stores will stock it, but all can special order them. They can't hurt you're bike, they can only help and they are very foul-resistant. I've been very satisfied with mine. ;)

squiers007
03-12-2009, 02:44 PM
Hey chicken, welcome to the forum! Have you done/checked out the breather re-route mod yet? If not, that could help with your stuttering. I would also recommend the open air-box mod.

breather re-route (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/Re-route-hoses)

open airbox (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Firebolt-XB12-XB9/Buell-aftermarket-parts/air-box-delete)

LeFox
03-12-2009, 04:03 PM
if you're still in run-in, wait till you're out. ;)

GatorBuell
03-12-2009, 08:00 PM
What Lefox said......... mine went away around 1500K.

chickenhawk1
03-12-2009, 08:10 PM
thanks for your input guys. lefox and gator, i was told that it would go away by one of my friends but this is my first vtwin...yes i'm a prior gixxer rider.

Urban_Assault
03-12-2009, 10:26 PM
Yeah, my '08 did it for a while, too.

A custom ECM tune will help out a LOT with that, but I don't know if it will ever completely go away the way you're thinking.

The twins just don't get instant revs the way a 4-banger does, because there is a lot of time between each cylinder fire.

By "blipping" the throttle at idle, you're basically opening the throttle body very quickly and letting a ton of air into only one cylinder, but then closing it back off before the ECM can add the right amount of fuel. This causes the cylinder to fire "way too lean".

Or vice versa, the ECM will read the throttle position and dump a ton of fuel in. If you close off the air too early, the cylinder will fire way too rich.

-Tim